“Good Location and Unique Exotic Decor (Indian Subcontinent Motiff?)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance Woodbridge Hotel

Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Iselin
Pennsylvania
“Good Location and Unique Exotic Decor (Indian Subcontinent Motiff?)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Very interesting and exotic decor for a Marriott hotel....at first I wasn't sure what to think, but it started to grow on me, and after a day, I decided I really liked it... it has cool lighting, bold design and neat mood music. The restaurant and rooms have a very modern and sophisticated look. The only thing that really didn't work for me was the standard room sofa, which seemed more like a large inexpensive and uncomfortable futon (also, the solid color makes it hard to keep clean). The breakfast and lunch were excellent and the location is very convenient to restaurants, shopping, services and the Newark airport (about 20 minutes away). The staff is very efficient, but would help if they showed a little more care and empathy for the hotel's clients. The entry off US 1 is not well lit at night and quite abrupt, so go slow and be ready when it comes up....

Room Tip: Ask from room set back from US 1 for less traffic noise.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Philadelphia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a conference this past weekend and while the hotel itself was nice, I had a few problems. First of all, as it was a large conference and it started in the morning, I didn't expect to check in early and so was not surprised when they asked me to store my baggage when I arrived at noon. That was fine. They told me to come back at 2 and I'd have a room. Came back at 2, and the girl said "yeah we're not checking anyone in right now. come back at 4. actually, even later would be better." No apology. I realize that the normal check in was 4, but if I was told 2, they could have at least apologized or explained. I was starting to get worried i'd even have a place to stay. At 4:45 I finally got a room.

The room had no safe which I thought was odd for a hotel that hosts conferences and business meetings...where was I supposed to securely store my laptop? I ended up lugging it around with me all day because I did not feel comfortable keeping it in the room. I've never been to a hotel in my life that didn't have an in-room safe. Bizarre.

At breakfast I was given a coffee cup that had lipstick stains on it and had to ask for a new one. Service at the hotel restaurant was extremely slow, even though it wasn't crowded at the time, but the food was good.

Overall I wasn't overly impressed mostly due to the service aspect, but the price was affordable and the lobby and common areas are nice and modern. Bed was comfy, too. My room was on the first floor and it was quiet. Hotel was extremely easy to find and right off the Garden State Parkway. I'll be back, only because this conference is held at the same hotel every year, so I don't have much of a choice!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel for many years, long before it was ever a Renaissance and always enjoy my stays as the staff are very pleasant.

I was a little concerned by a few things on this occasion which I did not appreciate. My room (208) just seemed older than other rooms. Not sure why as the bed itself was cosey but certainly around the bathroom and general room furniture it felt very dated even though the carpets and wall paper appeared the same as other rooms.

Also as floor 2 is just above the lobby the thumping lobby music was WAYYYYYY to loud. The management may think the hotel is a trendy nightclub but it is not! It is a place people come to rest and sleep. However I did appreciate the gentleman on the desk removing my room service from my bill by way as an apology but I would like to think that perhaps the management will take the initiative to just cut out the music altogether and leave it for the bar!

Otherwise I had a very comfortable stay and look forward to my return in the near future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor and well away from the lift lobby's. Also if it's summer i...
Gallipolis, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I was in NJ for business. My company has an office directly attached to this hotel so it was very convenient. My stay was nice, the room was clean, restaurant and bar were nice. Within walking distance to several nice restaurants. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on a number of occasions , always good , sometimes can be a bit noisy .
Joe on the bell staff is outstanding . His skills should be being put to far better use by Renaissance group . Joe offers excellent customer service and treats people with respect . Nothing was too much trouble and could converse easily with all types of people , a real asset to the hotel .

Stayed October 2013
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Rooms fine. Extremely comfortable beds and linens. Gym adequate .

The hotel play background music in the lobby areas which is far too loud and to be honest the front desk staff are not that friendly or engaging. It's a shame as the hotel itself is nice.

• Stayed October 2013
Chris Q, Manager at Renaissance Woodbridge Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
I was sorry to see that our music was a problem for you. The Renaissance prides itself in chosing music to fit the time of day and style of the hotel.

I would like to speak with you in more detail about the lack of hospitality from my desk staff. This surprizes me as i spend a great deal of time in the lobby with the staff and i have typically found them to be upbeat and engaging. please feel free to contact the hotel and ask for me.

At your service
Woodbridge NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I dont like giving bad reviews to hotels but this one absolutely deserves one, walking through the hotel it looks cluttered, you pass couches where the material is stained or worse, the restraunts are over priced as well as the hotel rooms it selves, Not a very friendly staff as well when you point out this to them. There are better options in the area, such as the Hampton Inn in Woodbridge which about a mile away

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Chris Q, Manager at Renaissance Woodbridge Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Sorry to read that you felt our recently renovated hotel was old and worn down? We spent 18 million dollars to bring this iconic Woodbridge hotel into the modern ages three years ago. I am very proud of the continuous work we do to enhance and improve the product. like our three season covered patio with our new heaters or the cabanas we have by the pool. We are also continuously bringing in local artists and musicians to enhance the atmosphere.

i was very confused about the sofa comment but i figured it out. We have a ver nice green lounging couch that was used in an event and was badly stained. It was out in the hallway awaiting pick up to see if it could be cleaned.

I am sorry if this bothered you. i just walked all our public space and found no other stained sofas.

our pricing is comparable to the market and we feel the quality of our food and our rooms has us as the best product in the market. if our restaurant is not to you liking myself and my staff consider ourselves experts on the local area and can always direct you to the best spots and the best values.

Thanks for your feedback
Also consider these accommodations in or near Iselin
Hotel Woodbridge at Metropark
Hampton Inn Woodbridge
#2 of 4 in Woodbridge
4.0 of 5 stars 285 reviews
Hilton Garden Inn Edison/Raritan Center

Been to Renaissance Woodbridge Hotel? Share your experiences!