“An okay conference hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Iselin
Philadelphia
“An okay conference hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a conference this past weekend and while the hotel itself was nice, I had a few problems. First of all, as it was a large conference and it started in the morning, I didn't expect to check in early and so was not surprised when they asked me to store my baggage when I arrived at noon. That was fine. They told me to come back at 2 and I'd have a room. Came back at 2, and the girl said "yeah we're not checking anyone in right now. come back at 4. actually, even later would be better." No apology. I realize that the normal check in was 4, but if I was told 2, they could have at least apologized or explained. I was starting to get worried i'd even have a place to stay. At 4:45 I finally got a room.

The room had no safe which I thought was odd for a hotel that hosts conferences and business meetings...where was I supposed to securely store my laptop? I ended up lugging it around with me all day because I did not feel comfortable keeping it in the room. I've never been to a hotel in my life that didn't have an in-room safe. Bizarre.

At breakfast I was given a coffee cup that had lipstick stains on it and had to ask for a new one. Service at the hotel restaurant was extremely slow, even though it wasn't crowded at the time, but the food was good.

Overall I wasn't overly impressed mostly due to the service aspect, but the price was affordable and the lobby and common areas are nice and modern. Bed was comfy, too. My room was on the first floor and it was quiet. Hotel was extremely easy to find and right off the Garden State Parkway. I'll be back, only because this conference is held at the same hotel every year, so I don't have much of a choice!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel for many years, long before it was ever a Renaissance and always enjoy my stays as the staff are very pleasant.

I was a little concerned by a few things on this occasion which I did not appreciate. My room (208) just seemed older than other rooms. Not sure why as the bed itself was cosey but certainly around the bathroom and general room furniture it felt very dated even though the carpets and wall paper appeared the same as other rooms.

Also as floor 2 is just above the lobby the thumping lobby music was WAYYYYYY to loud. The management may think the hotel is a trendy nightclub but it is not! It is a place people come to rest and sleep. However I did appreciate the gentleman on the desk removing my room service from my bill by way as an apology but I would like to think that perhaps the management will take the initiative to just cut out the music altogether and leave it for the bar!

Otherwise I had a very comfortable stay and look forward to my return in the near future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor and well away from the lift lobby's. Also if it's summer i...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I was in NJ for business. My company has an office directly attached to this hotel so it was very convenient. My stay was nice, the room was clean, restaurant and bar were nice. Within walking distance to several nice restaurants. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on a number of occasions , always good , sometimes can be a bit noisy .
Joe on the bell staff is outstanding . His skills should be being put to far better use by Renaissance group . Joe offers excellent customer service and treats people with respect . Nothing was too much trouble and could converse easily with all types of people , a real asset to the hotel .

Stayed October 2013
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

Rooms fine. Extremely comfortable beds and linens. Gym adequate .

The hotel play background music in the lobby areas which is far too loud and to be honest the front desk staff are not that friendly or engaging. It's a shame as the hotel itself is nice.

• Stayed October 2013
Chris Q, Manager at Renaissance Woodbridge Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
I was sorry to see that our music was a problem for you. The Renaissance prides itself in chosing music to fit the time of day and style of the hotel.

I would like to speak with you in more detail about the lack of hospitality from my desk staff. This surprizes me as i spend a great deal of time in the lobby with the staff and i have typically found them to be upbeat and engaging. please feel free to contact the hotel and ask for me.

At your service
Woodbridge NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I dont like giving bad reviews to hotels but this one absolutely deserves one, walking through the hotel it looks cluttered, you pass couches where the material is stained or worse, the restraunts are over priced as well as the hotel rooms it selves, Not a very friendly staff as well when you point out this to them. There are better options in the area, such as the Hampton Inn in Woodbridge which about a mile away

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Chris Q, Manager at Renaissance Woodbridge Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Sorry to read that you felt our recently renovated hotel was old and worn down? We spent 18 million dollars to bring this iconic Woodbridge hotel into the modern ages three years ago. I am very proud of the continuous work we do to enhance and improve the product. like our three season covered patio with our new heaters or the cabanas we have by the pool. We are also continuously bringing in local artists and musicians to enhance the atmosphere.

i was very confused about the sofa comment but i figured it out. We have a ver nice green lounging couch that was used in an event and was badly stained. It was out in the hallway awaiting pick up to see if it could be cleaned.

I am sorry if this bothered you. i just walked all our public space and found no other stained sofas.

our pricing is comparable to the market and we feel the quality of our food and our rooms has us as the best product in the market. if our restaurant is not to you liking myself and my staff consider ourselves experts on the local area and can always direct you to the best spots and the best values.

Thanks for your feedback
Solebury, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I was here two nights for a high school reunion. There appeared to be several events going on when I arrived on Friday night around 10PM. Easy check-in, and accommodating help when I requested a room near the elevator.

Tons of people all over the hotel, but it was still fairly quiet in the lounge/bar where I found a few friends who also had arrived early. The bartender made me a good drink when I described the contents, since I did not know the name. Bar prices are higher than I'd like, but appropriate for North Jersey/near Manhattan.

I was able to get juice and coffee in the lounge the next morning. And then we were off for the day. Returned late afternoon to find more friends in the lounge, and we became a large but not too noisy group. Someone who had chosen to eat dinner in the lounge rather than the restaurant was 'put off' by the level of noise, but it is a lounge/bar after all!

The rooms are comfortable size. I understand the hotel was recently renovated. All seemed clean and up-to-date with decor, fluffy comforters, etc. As the beds are high, I did have a bit of trouble getting in! Amenities included coffee pot (to be carried to an outlet since none at location); enough coffee for one cup of regular, one of decaf, or tea; two liquid creamers (more would have been appreciated) and sugar; Aveda soaps; shampoo, conditional and cream; toothpaste. Sorry... don't recall if there was a blow dryer or not. Imagine there was. Plus three fluffy bath towels, hand towels and washcloths. On the second day, the remaining fresh towels from the day before were the only ones present.

Our meal at the reunion was pretty good, but it was set up in the hallway as we approached our room... a little strange at the time, since registration was there too! Everything was warm and looked/tasted good. Coffee and desserts were set up inside the room later. A bar was in the room.

Surprised later when I went to the bar and ordered a rusty nail on the rocks. Just barely enough Drambuie to make the drink. And the bartender told me it was the only one I could have... no more Drambuie! Don't know if that was all that was in stock, or she was too lazy to get another bottle. I think the first, which surprises me in such a big hotel.

Had a good night's sleep both nights, but was awakened early Sunday with a call from Room Service that the waiter was at my door. I had not ordered room service! Another phone call but no one there. And finally a call asking me if I would LIKE to order room service. Not a happy camper, as all this took place before 8AM and I had been up until 2:30AM!

When I went to check out, I was CHARGED for $30 of room service. However, after explaining the morning's debacle, the clerk removed the charges and supposedly added Marriott points to my account for the misunderstanding.

I DID have breakfast (mistakenly called Brunch) downstairs. My idea of brunch is a cross between lunch and breakfast. This was strictly breakfast, but served until 11AM. Eggs, omelets made to order, oatmeal, fresh fruit, dry French toast, sausage and bacon, breads and Danish, etc. Big pitchers of ice water, oj and coffee on the table. The best part was the oj and an apple bread. All for $18, I think.

Note to travelers unfamiliar with the Renaissance location. It is NOT that easy to spot on Route 1. It sits back from the road behind other buildings. The address is 515 Rt. 1. At the intersection past the hotel heading north, there is a large Jewish cemetery on the right. Heading south, use Best Buy as your indicator that the hotel is in the next block. If you turn into the 555 office building, you can get to the hotel parking lot. This was a challenge every time!

Room Tip: I needed a room near the elevator. Because of the hotel size and the number of guests/parties, I wou...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feed back. sorry about the Drambui. i f you get a chance to stop buy the hotel in the future ask for me and the Rusty nails will be on the house.

Been to Renaissance Woodbridge Hotel? Share your experiences!