“Not Family oriented or business” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Iselin
Clifton, New Jersey
“Not Family oriented or business”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I decided to spend the weekend hear with my 8 and 12 year old and it was a big mistake, Sunday they have this big party at the outdoor pool a lot of alcohol and not appropriate behavior environment for family, we couldn't use the pool and also they were charging for it.
Renaissance it is a brand that they should take care of it,t he hotel is very nice, business oriented the service at the restaurants was very good, but again Sunday's party at the pool destroys all the quality of the hotel. I saw more complaints about this here but it seems that the hotel is not doing anything about that. Definitely not coming back !

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Chris Q, Manager at Renaissance Woodbridge Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on the Sunday event. we do have a series of events by our pool this summer. we try to provide something for everyone. On Fridays we are doing happy hour by the pool our pool bar is open and we are playing low key music for everyone. Anyone is invited to lounge or sit in a cabana and have snacks and drinks. it is very mellow from 4 to 8. on Saturday we have a family day flaoting toys , frozen drinks ( alchohol or non alchol) we even have a snow cone machine. From 4 to 7 we have a local singer songwriter playin his guitar and singing very laid back stuff. this event is for hotel guests and great for families. there is a full menu available and lots of seating. On Sundays we do a DJ dance party from 2 to 7. though this is more of an adult themed event everyone is invited. This event is not sponsored by the hotel we are just providing the Food and Beverage. If you are a hotel guest you never have to pay any admission for any events. We do are best to be sure that language and music are PG and that atire is beach appropriate. We always reserve the olympic indoor pool as a quiet no alchohl area. During the week we provide lounge chairs and cabanas for guest use on a first come first serve basis and provide food and beverage through room service for hotel guests.

226 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

The furnishings are modern, the rooms well appointed and the room service cheap/tasty

HOWEVER

It is let down by its location, next to a busy loud road and not really near anything (well, there is a mall across the road but its fairly basic). The pool area, which is newly refurbished is disappointing. The loungers are uncomfortable and the towels are old and frayed.

Whilst the decor is trendy/modern, it still manages to feel a little "cheap". In addition the air conditioner in my room was so loud I couldn't keep it on in the night time!

Not a bad hotel at all but not somewhere I would personally choose again...

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Chris Q, Manager at Renaissance Woodbridge Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. Though the location seems somewhat isolated we are constantly searching our area for new discoveries around food , beverage , sight seeing and shopping. our navigators have a great library of local favorites to help you get the most our of your stay.
our large indoor and outdoor pool are a great attraction and get alot of use. i aplogize if there we did not meet your expectations. Your comment on the towels was timly and we have ordered a new supply that has just arrived.

We are constantly upgrading and enhanceing our amenities and decor from our new covered outdoor patio to original local artwork.I would certainly not describe anything in our Hotel as cheap but if you would like to contact me directly at the Hotel i would love to get additional detail on your vist

at your service
Reading, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Hotel is in a good location, and offers plenty of good restaurants nearby. Staff is warm and friendly and someone was always there to greet you. Hotel is a bit rundown and is showing some signs of age. It is not a bad hotel, but for the price I feel the quality could be better.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for the feedback. we are constantly working on upgrading our rooms and amenities to enhance the guest experience.We are currently adding new bedding and upgraded towles to the rooms and are just finishing installing new JBL stereo docking stations in every room.

We just finished our new out door covered patio and are constantly ehancing our artwork . We have also added some great live music on selected weekdays and weekends.

Please come back again and discover our improvements.
Crawley, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

If you are thinking about booking to stay here over the weekends, they have a Las Vagas style pool party from 10am to 6pm. The pool cant be used to relax(unless you want to join in)The music plays for the 8 hours and it's loud. The windows of the rooms, especially those on the pool side of the hotel vibrate, anything not fixed in the room vibrates. It's impossible to get any sort of rest or work done. The music drowns out the TV in your room. Hours of unwanted music is certainly not conducive to a relaxing time.

The management are less then interested and dismissed my complaint, without an apology or offer of an other room away from the noise. The general manager who was in the hotel couldn't even be bothered to see me when I asked to speak to him, preferring to stay with his family rather than addressing customer concerns. He should remember those customers keep him in a job.

Avoid the hotel on a Sunday

Room Tip: Get a room as far away from the pool area as possible, especially on a Sunday.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Chris Q, Manager at Renaissance Woodbridge Hotel, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
We apologize to you and our other British Airways crew that stay at the hotel regularly. There was an event from 2 to 7 on that sunday which did get much louder than we expected. There are events on Saturday and Sunday at the pool through the summer. Saturday is a more laid back family thing with a local singer songwriter playing from 4 to 7. Sunday we do have a more lively event with a very active pool bar scene from 2 to 7 with a disc jockey but we have toned the volume way down so has not to disturb the other guests. For our flight crews we are being extra careful to put all your rooms on the side of the hotel away from the pool.
Albany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

I like this hotel because its in a great location, they have more than enough parking, the rooms are very nice, clean, and the concierge lounge is one of the best. I would positively return if in the area.

• Stayed June 2013
Thanks for the great comments. We look forward to helping you discover new experiences on your next visit.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

As I have mentioned in a previous review of this hotel last year, the hotel could do with a refurbishment although I found it adequate to my needs (on a business trip). My room was infested with ants so I asked to have the room changed. I was told that it would be sprayed during the day whilst I was out however when I returned, the room hadn't even been cleaned. Returned to reception and was relocated to another room (where I did notice a few ants, but not as bad as before!).

I enjoy the bar area each time I visit this hotel for food and wine. For the first time I also had breakfast in the hotel. I would recommend the waffles!

To get into NYC you can take the shuttle to MetroPark if you don't have a car. It would be preferable if the pick ups ran later than 10PM, although there are always taxis outside for about $8.

I will probably stay here again on business as I believe this hotel is the best option in the area, however there are room for improvements.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
I am extremely sorry for your run in with the ants. we do our best to keep the rooms serviced and treated so that we do not have these problems. We are always working on improving our facility and amenities. We look forward to your next visit so we can showcase some of our ongoing improvements.
Manchester, New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

If there were half stars, this would be a 2.5, but due to the sheer level of disappointment, I had to rank one down.

I was at the property for an overnight in advance of a breakfast meeting on-site. Check in was very slow, with confusion over rooms.

The room itself was less-than-ideal. Much of the decor had recently been updated, but there were still many things that were "off." The bathroom had only been partially redone, and the tub was outdated, there were cracks in the wall, the tiles were dingy, and the air vent did not work. Worse? The air vent was covered with dust and grime at least a quarter inch thick.

The beds were too soft- the decor may have been updated but the mattress felt old. The lamshade would not stay on straight (this is petty, yes, but if a hotel is going to redecorate, it make sense to have everything look put together.). I was sharing a room with a colleague, and in the AM when we needed to get ready we realized the only mirror in the room was the one in the bathroom. It would have been nice to have had two spaces to get ready, especially when the bathroom mirror stayed fogged for quite some time. While getting ready we wanted to check the weather, so we tried to put the TV on, but it did not work. Frustrating.

Sleep was challenging not only because of an uncomfortable bed, but because the walls were uncomfortably thin. I could hear, word for word, the conversation the woman on the other side of the wall was having on her cell phone. And, in the middle of the night, I woke to the sound of the person on the other side of the wall snoring. They were THAT thin. I was just thankful there did not seem to be an amorous couple on the other side of the wall....

To us, it was frustrating. The hotel went through the process of redecorating, but it came off as very, very surface when there were some big glaring comfort issues that had not been addressed. I would rather have a cheap $10 mirror from Wal-mart and standard beige walls rather than one mirror and fancy red wallpaper.

I should note that others in our party did not have the same room issues. Perhaps we just got unlucky? Either way, I think all rooms should have some of the basics in functioning order.

Further, I have to say I also expected more from the meeting space the next morning. We were on a meeting room at the far end of the hotel and there was MINIMAL signage put up to direct our guests to the space. When someone from our party asked for additional signage, we were met with a "Sorry that happened, but there is not much to do about it, it's not our job" attitude. The space itself was functional, but fairly barren in terms of decor. It would have been nice to see a bit more on the wall. Service at breakfast was just fine, and food was fine, but nothing exceptional.

Bottom line? I would not go out of my way to stay here again or to plan an event here. It was not a disaster, but with the positive reputation of Renaissance, I supopse I just expected more than what I usually get with the way less expensive Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Renaissance Woodbridge Hotel? Share your experiences!