“Close to the airport” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Irvington
lONDON uK
“Close to the airport”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We choose this hotel because it was close to the airport and within easy access to downtown New york.What a big mistake. The location was unsafe for us to go out at night and this was from one of the locals. I might have guessed when I went into reception as the area had glass up to the ceiling protecting the reception staff. We had long waits for shuttle service and some of the drivers didn't bother to get out of the van to put the steps down as it was a like getting onto a horse climbing into the vav. The dinning room was too small for the volume of guesta but the dinning room lady was very nice and looked after us well. Reception staff were also vey nice and helpful. Our rooms did smell of smoke even though it was a non smoking room. The first room we were allocated to had someone already there and they allocated us to another room. It was clean and the cleaner was also very nice and polite. I'm afraid I wouldn't recommend this hotel to any of my family of friends. Lance Perkins UK

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
parkwayhospitality, Guest Relations Manager at Americas Best Value Inn @ Newark Airport, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank You for taking the time to write us a review. First I would like to offer my most sincere apology for your experience while staying at our property. Your insight is extremely valuable to us! That's why we have replaced our employees for driver's that are better trained to help guests as much as they can. Our rooms are monitored daily for a better quality stay adding penalties to guests who refuse to follow the NONSMOKING regulations on nonsmoking rooms. Our dinning room is designed to give more room to areas where is needed the most such as our guest rooms. Overall I would like to apologize once again for the inconveniences during your stay with us, nonetheless I would Love to invite you back to enjoy the many changes done to our property since September!!

Viridiana A.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

My wife and I select this hotel thru Expedia, due to the fact that was close to Newark and offer Free In/Out shuttle for the Newark Airport. I call for comfirmation the day before the stay. The front desk instrucme to call from the P4 Station in the airport and call for the service.
We arrived at 10PM and call the Hotel Front Desk, we spent 1 Hr calling and no one pick up the phone, we had to go to another hotel and they charged me. I will not recommended this hotel when arriving over 7:00PM to Newark

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
parkwayhospitality, Guest Relations Manager at Americas Best Value Inn @ Newark Airport, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
I would like to Thank You for Taking the time to write us your insight and opinion. I feel the need to sincerely apologize for the trouble that was caused due to the missed calls to our property. Unfortunately at the time our phones weren't working properly and calls were being transferred to another extension. We were unable to notice until the next morning. I wouldn't want you to think this act was deliberate and I hope this short explanation is able to clarify some of the confusion. I Thank You once again for initially choosing our property and I would personally like to invite you back to provide you with better service!

Penang Island, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I like customer service, they were very helpful and cooperative. Especially Carolina & Deepa, the room was nice and clean,they also have Breakfast complimentary & i was satisfied. I would recommend to business friends who are on business trips outside of the country who need an hotel to stay while in new jersey.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
parkwayhospitality, Guest Relations Manager at Americas Best Value Inn @ Newark Airport, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Everyone at Americas Best Value Inn would like to Thank You, specially Ms. Carolina and Ms. Deepa for taking the time to write us such a flattering review. I'm thrilled to know you had an excellent experience during your stay with us! I'm glad to know our rooms, location, service and value were up to your standards. We Thank You once again for choosing our property and we would love to invite you back the next time you're in the area!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

My husband, 1 year old son & I were on our way back home from and international trip. We were jet lagged and tired and excited to be back in America where we felt comfortable. We drove in at about 10pm (late flight). While we were checking in at the front desk there were 3 people ahead of us talking with the receptionist. They were asking how much a room was per hour. The receptionist said they do not charge per hour. Then proceeded to check them in. The receptionist said that their booking was only for 2 adults and there were 3 (two males & a female), they again told the receptionist they were only needing the room for a few hours and slipped him some money, which the receptionist took. When it was our turn to check in the receptionist got a phone call, again asking rates per hour. The receptionist said he could charge them a special rate for the use of 4 hours.

Why did we still check in? Because we were that tired. We went to our car to get our bags and a man claiming to be the 'parking lot security guard' (clearly a homeless man, old man, raggedy clothes-- missing teeth) told us that for $5-10 he would watch our car 'extra careful'. We felt trapped. Because if we didn't pay him, what would he do to our car? This was just a shady, shady area, with shady people. That man followed us right into the reception area where the receptionist greeted him! They knew each other!

We slept there for 5 hours, got up and got out as soon as possible.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
parkwayhospitality, Guest Relations Manager at Americas Best Value Inn @ Newark Airport, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Everyone at Americas Best Value Inn would like to Thank You for taking the time to write us an insightful review. I would like to Sincerely apologize for the inconveniences imposed on you during your stay with us. I would like you to know we have two rate packages, overnight and short stay, our short stay rate is composed of 4 hours for travelers who can't stay the night. I am currently investigating the clerk that checked you in to find the man responsible for your discomfort at the parking lot area. I hope my explanation can provide some clarification. We Thank You once again for choosing our property and I would like to invite you back to better serve you.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

The location is excellent and the price of a suitable room hotel is just half an hour from Manhattan by bus and the room was clean and daily room service and hotel staff very friendly, especially Ms. Carolina

• Stayed June 2013
Everyone at Americas Best Value Inn, specially Ms. Carolina, would like to Thank You for taking the time out of your busy schedule to review our property. We are flattered to read such an amazing review, I'm glad you were satisfied with our rooms, location, value, and service! We Thank You once again for choosing our property and I would love to Invite you back the next time you're around the area!

Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

The shuttle pick you at P4 shuttle car (take the monorail). I had to wait for the shuttle for a long time even after calling (freephone P4 shuttle parking) but the driver, to go and back, was very friendly. To return, the shuttle will drop you to your departure terminal.
Some difficulty to find my reservation. They does not seem to use a reservation system with global visualization. Simply give them the name of your booking website.

This is a hotel for an overnight stay between flights. no more
The bathroom and the bed is clean.

I did not try the breakfast because I left too early for my flight.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
parkwayhospitality, Guest Relations Manager at Americas Best Value Inn @ Newark Airport, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Thank You for taking the time to review our property. I want to sincerely apologize for the delay while waiting for the shuttle; the road from the airport is being paved so that may have caused the delay. I'm glad to know our friendly driver was able to assist you well. I’m happy that our services were satisfactory and that you found our rooms up to standards as we are proud to be ranked the best hotel of our category around the Newark Airport location offering the most for our value! Thank You once again for choosing our property and we would love to invite you back to try our continental breakfast and for an even better experience!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Needing an overnight stay close to Newark airport, my husband booked us in Americas Best Value Inn in Newark. Neither of us had heard of it, but we just needed a place to lay down between flights. I have to admit, I didn't get past the lobby with the bulletproof glass and drunks wandering around. I went to the window and when she couldn't find my reservations, I thanked her and left. My son was afraid to drop me off there...me too! The outside looks clean, the neighborhood is a bit rough for me,... and I stayed in Laredo, Texas! If you stay IN the hotel it might be fine, but I had a lot of luggage and was traveling with my youngest son. I felt very uncomfortable to stay there overnight, so it was a blessing in disguise.

We went to the Ramada across from Newark airport.

Room Tip: If you stay here...get a room on th second floor.