“A Must... Read” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Irvington
Cumberland
“A Must... Read”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2008

Checked in late last night (June 16) - flight at Newark Airport was cancelled. Newark airport listed several other hotels but all were full, so we took this one - complimentarily discounted to $100/night if you mentioned upon booking that you were a distressed traveller with Continental Airlines. Little did I know that I would be even more distressed after checking in to this Inn. The outside looks fine, so does the picture on the website and at the airport, BUT the hallways were very smelly, the room (#414) was the worst I've ever stayed in. I seriously prefer camping in a tent in the middle of the woods! When turned down, the bed linen showed strands long brown hair - having my husband asking me if I thought the sheets had been cleaned. It was late and I had to think posively particularly since we had no other choice. The bathroom was in dyre need for repairs, the tub absolutely filthy and the tub tiles stained of rust. I took pictures if you are interested. The stippled walls were patched up here and there; the alarm clock made intermitten noise throughout the night; people were talking all night long and the free internet access is only in the lobby, not in the rooms. I couldn't believe we were staying in such a place, especially with a young child. After having ordered pizza, we noticed a large bug crawling up the wall and my husband quickly took care of it. Needless to say, I did not sleep a wink and, this morning, I rose quickly to head out the door - thanks ABVI for the $100 glass of orange juice and the bed bug bites, because your hotel room certainly is not worth it!

• Liked — nothing at all really except that the tv worked and the airport shutlle service was efficient
  • Disliked — the bugs; the awful smell; the $100/night price; the crappy alarm clock; the sleepless night;
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Houston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2008

Overall the hotel was worth the money. I was not looking to spend much during my stay, but I still wanted to be comfortable.

The excellent things about the hotel was the airport shuttle (brand new and very comfortable) the driver arrived on time when I landed and took me back for my return on time. The staff was also great (with the exception of one older woman), but she was one out of maybe 10 others so I will not hold that against the hotel.

The neutral thins about the hotel was the room. Overall, it was a good room as far as afordable hotels go. The housekeeping staff did an adequate job at keeping the room clean while we were out. Only bad thing was I found something left by a previous guest in the closet. I also thought the bathroom could be updated a bit.

The ploblem with the hotel was the area. Unfortunately, many parts of NJ (near the city) are not the Best American sites. If you are just in need of a place to park and sleep while you're not in the city or elsewhere, then the hotel is great for you. However, do not expect to get out around the neighborhood much.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2007

Property appears well kept from outside.. but projects across the street and the derelict style clientele had me feeling uneasy within seconds. I noticed upon check in .. there was a sign saying NO Refund issued 5 minutes plus after checkin. I have NEVEr seen such a sign. therefore we asked to see the room. Hallways are spooky, I wouldn't use the stairs, antique elevator takes forever however,
The room he showed me was fine, I checked it carefully, watchout, . there are others that are not., I later found out.

wel l, 5 minutes later both of us had paint on our coats.. they were painting these very narrow hallways yellow at 5 p.m. No sign in elevator, and my coat is ruined.
The manager was professional and nice, (although he never apologized,!) He told me to contact him regarding the cost of drycleaning. Inconvenient and upsetting..since Of course the dry cleaning will probably not work, I intend to pursue the purchase of a t least ONE new coat.
next, I ran into someone leaving the elevator, his pants someplace hanging down, and 5 or 6 inches under his shoes..get the picture? He was talking about gang wars.

What next? People running in the hallways throughout the night, one approached me in the hallway asking me what room I was in, was I lost ? noise all night, I barely slept .slamming doors.
My friend also check ed out the next morning. They issued refunds, although gave my friend a hard time about it. When I complained about feeling unsafe, they repeatedly said,
"we have security guards" yeah...where were they when I was trying to sleep? They should have given us the night free.

I don't agree that 'what do you expect for $ 75."

• Liked — location off highway, room size
  • Disliked — nasty neighborhood and unsavory residents in hotel
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Emmaus, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2007

Hotel is located in Irvington, NJ, high crime area and low income housing. Hotel was rechted. Sheets were dirty, there was no clock, and the bathroom was discusting. The hotel clerk is behind a bullet proof barrier. Room was labeled as non smoking but was far from it, smelled liked they doused the room with Febreeze.

I recommend you do some further research on other alternatives, this is not a hotel you want to stay at.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2007

C'mon now, what can you expect for $70/night? Not much! I just needed somewhere to crash for the night after being on a 20+ hour journey from India. The Travelocity website showed that it was cheap and had a complimentary shuttle.
I emailed the hotel and immediately received a response regarding vacancies and the complimentary shuttle.
When I arrived at Newark I called the hotel and they were accurate in estimating my wait time for the shuttle (15 minutes).
Unfortunately the elevator was not working, but a friendly and helpful staff member carried my luggage to my room on the second floor. The elevator was working the next morning.
The room was basic and in an overall clean condition. A sign advertised complimentary toiletries upon request. Since I didn't have a hair dryer I called the front desk to request one.
At $70/night I was expecting a lot worse but was pleasantly surprised. The staff is great!

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — The area did not seem to have too many dining options
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Americas Best Value Inn @ Newark Airport? Share your experiences!