“India in Hoboken” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery
Manalapan, New Jersey
“India in Hoboken”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We have been to Karma Kafe 3 times. The food has always been well prepared and very flavorful. There is wide assortment of dishes last night we had Pneer Kashmiri (great sauce with tandoori grilled cheese), the cheese was a bit tough and there was not much of it. The crab cakes were quite good as was the vegetable pakora. For the entrees had bagare shrimp which was well prepared. My wife's shrimp Malabar, in a spicy rich sauce, was over cooked . Others had lamb and chicken bhuna, and tandoori chicken, which they enjoyed. We ordered vegetable biryani, which was quire good but unnecessary since all entrees came with rice.

The restaurant is small and it can get quite noisy. The service was attentive but not properly executed. The entrees were brought out before the appetizer dirty dishes were removed so we all had to juggle the dishes .

I would recommend Karma Kafe for a well prepared informal Indian dinner.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

New York City, New York
“Indian Craving”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Walking around Hoboken on a casual Saturday night. Wasn't looking for a loud bar or lounge, just wanted to get some yummy eats.

Stumbled upon Karma Kafe, was lured in by the amazing aromas coming from inside the restaurant.

Ambience: nothing special, nicer than a take out spot, but casual like a take out spot, but serves alcohol. Weird. Lol

Service: friendly and slow. If you aren't that familiar with Indian food, ask the waiter. He'll point you in to what the popular dishes are

Food:
* garlic naan * a must! My favorite, plain or dipped in and of the sauces that come with your dish
* chicken curry * meh. I was used to Thai curries, so this one I didn't really enjoy
* paneer Kashmiri * YUM! The paneer is like a cheese cube, eat it while its warm because the cheese can harden. I'm def a meat lover, but this dish wasn't lacking in anyway - I did not miss the meat.
* dessert * I got the first item on the menu, flour balls with syrup - too sweet for me. It tasted like a rolled pancake, almost.
* basmati rice * yum, always yummy

Value: def a good price for the money!

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great quality Indian food for your money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Very good brunches. Restaurant is located on the Main Street in Hoboken.
Great prices for the quality.
Service and everything was nice. Romantic atmosphere, great for couples.

Visited May 2013
New York City, New York
“Good Karma”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I took a short trek on the Path train to Hoboken, N.J. to meet some friends of mine for dinner. After a short picturesque stroll from the train station down Washington St., I came upon Karma Kafe bustling with an energetic crowd on a Summer evening in August. It wasn't packed or overly crowded but a good generous scene of people enjoying some pretty lofty Indian cuisine. Not knowing what to get, we took some recommendations from our friends, they are regulars. The wait-staff knew them by face and were very attentive and friendly.
The prices are reasonable, and the entree is enough 2-3. My friend shared a Biriyani with his wife, and I ordered the Aloo Chole which was surprisingly really moist, savory, and robust with mild spices. It could have easily served two (I took the rest home and turned the chic peas into "Shakshuka" for brunch the next day). My companion ordered the Lamb Biryiani which he also ate 1/3 (barely). The check came out to $66 including 6 glasses of cocktails and wine. Definitely worth the short trip from NYC. I would love to come back again.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Millburn, New Jersey
“Consistently delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

We have been coming to this restaurant for 9 years, and this is the most consistently delicious Indian restaurant we go to (even compared with Edison). All the dishes we have had have been delicious, and the Dahl that accompanies is yummy. We travel some distance to Hoboken just to enjoy this restaurant. In all these years, the same staff is around. Service is great. Value is great.

• Visited July 2013