“Nice atmosphere food was eh” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
New York City, New York
“Nice atmosphere food was eh”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

Came in and had a drink at the bar and appetizer. Drink (Cuban colada) was very good appetizer (ropa vieja empanadita) was awesome. After sitting at the bar drinking and eating I decided to have dinner so I moved to the back and ordered a bistec empanizado (breaded steak) with rice and platano maduro. The steak was a nice big piece but the breaded part was lacking and to top it off was saturated in oil. I ate about half of it but couldn't anymore. Wasn't in the mood to send it back so I just let it be. Upon getting home I had a bad stomach ache I'm sure it was from the steak. So maybe it was just a one time thing not sure but I won't be going back. Once was enough. I'm Cuban and it didn't seem Cuban to me just my opinion.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Millington, nj
“Great Brunch!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Really great brunch menu that is not filled with only egg choices. Anything from tortillas to cuban sandwiches to salads, burgers and more. Prices were great! $8-16 and amazing portions.

• Visited September 2012
Long Island, New York
“Great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

We were in NJ for a cake decorating class and wanted to see the area. While looking for a place to eat and undecided, we came across The Cuban. There were people eating outside and we would have to do that, but it seems you need to reserve a spot for that. We decided to eat inside. We sat across from the bar amongst a young crowd of diners and those sitting at the bar. The hour was late for us. I believe we were the oldest couple there. My husband had a monitor, which was very good a had a lot of lime. I had a sangria, which was a bit strong. I had wondered where the fruit was. It wasn't until I was done did I find it hiding under the ice with all the sugar. Oh that would've made. Huge difference in the drink. We both had a pork meal. It was the closest we were going to get to La China another pork meal. But the one we chose was very close. We ordered avocado salad and a side of yuca. We were very pleases with our meals. And too full to even look at the desert menu. If ever I am back in Hoboken, this would be on my list of places to return to.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Elizabeth, New Jersey, United States
“Nice place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

I went to this restaurant only because I purchased a living social voucher to save money and yet when I received the bill, it was still high! But the food was nevertheless delicious. The appetizers were small and expensive, but the entrees themselves were huge and very filling. The chicken was very very tasty. I would go here again on a fancy date.
Only inconvenience is finding parking in Hoboken.

• Visited April 2012
Hoboken, New Jersey
“very attractive restaurant with good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

This is a very attractive restaurant in Hoboken with good food. The front of restaurant there is a bar area and some tables but there is also a back area to eat as well. There was 4 of us starting out with some very good apps and a nice bottle of wine. The wine list offers enough of a selection with reasonable priced wines. For entrees we had soft-shell crab, cod, sea bass and the pork shank. All the dishes were good but the shank was exceptional. I would return and the only reservation I have is the noise level was a bit high.

• Visited April 2012