“quite alternative to Manhattan hotels” 5 of 5 stars

Cyber Monday Exclusive
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hoboken
GreenLeadersBronze level
Denver, Colorado
“quite alternative to Manhattan hotels”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

One ferry ride or PATH (subway) ride away, this is an awesome alternative to Manhattan hotels.

The view is unbeatable. You can see the whole Manhattan island from your room.
This feels like a true W hotel. we received much better than expected service from front-desk staff, including a room upgrade. They even sent out emails asking for special requests days before my arrival.

On the down side, there is no swimming pool. And if you need to stop by hotel mid-day during a manhattan visit, the extra PATH ride could cause more than 1 hour round trip.

Room Tip: Saturday nigh dance party was very noisy. ask for a high level room.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
GMWHoboken, General Manager at W Hoboken, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Thanks for sharing on Trip Advisor! I’m delighted to hear you found our hotel to be such a convenient location to NYC! Our aim is to always provide a true WOW experience for all of our guests and I’m glad we did this for you! We look forward to your next stay with us at W Hoboken!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Hillsborough, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

For this, our second stay, we booked two nights a year in advance using a pre-paid SPG/no cancellation rate to watch the Macy's 4th of July fireworks over the Hudson. (Then, the new NYC mayor moved the fireworks back to the East River location with very short notice and foiled many plans, I'm certain.) There was no room ready at the guaranteed check in time---again, but once we were in our room we truly enjoyed the spacious Fantastic Suite with an AMAZING view from the Verrazano to the George Washington Bridges. The living area sofa was not at all welcoming, but bed was comfy. Large bathroom and powder room were clean and well supplied. The very loud music coming from the club several floors below interrupted our sleep until after 2am, but the room was otherwise quiet. We used the room service for a light dinner, a breakfast and a dessert. All were delivered promptly, pleasantly and were tasty. There are some nice restaurants and bars close by and the pier-like park area is very nicely done. Overall, the view was why stayed and that can't be beat!

Room Tip: Fantastic Suite for view and balcony; higher floor for quiet
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your W Hoboken experience on Trip Advisor. Guest satisfaction is very important to us so thank you for sharing both your positive feedback as well as areas for your improvement. This is greatly appreciated as we are always looking to improve upon our guests’ experiences. I am glad that your overall experience was so wonderful and I will certainly be sharing your valuable feedback with my team. Hope to have the great pleasure of welcoming you back again soon!
Terryville, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

My husband decided to take a trip to NYC for a long anniversary weekend. After looking at multiple properties both in NYC and NJ we decided to try the W Hoboken. We were fortunate to have stayed in the fantastic suite over looking the Manhattan skyline. We literally had NY as our wake up view and enjoyed cocktails and photography from our balcony. The staff was more than accommodating and welcoming each time we passed by. The concierge service was also quite helpful and efficient in helping us with our needs and requests. The onsite valet parking is invaluable, in a city where parking can be a challenge. Our room along with hotel amenities were superb. The location was more than we had expected. There is a wonderful walking path along the river and both shops, restaurants and the PATH were all within walking distance. My only negative experience was that on Saturday evenings things can tend to get a little loud due to the onsite nightclub, but that would not stop me from returning again. Thank you for making our stay a memorable one.

Room Tip: Stay on a higher floor if possible.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your outstanding anniversary stay with the Trip Advisor community! I’m so happy to hear that you were impressed with our team, the service received, and our location and NYC views. I want to extend my apologies for the noise disturbance you experienced. We understand that is not what you expect when you come to stay with us for rest and relaxation. On behalf of myself and the entire W Hoboken team, we look forward to welcoming you back to W Hoboken for many more anniversary celebrations!
Clifton, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

My wife is a native New Yorker which in large part is why we love to come to "The City" at least once or twice a year to catch a show, see some sights, enjoy the vibe and visit family. It always made sense to me for us to stay in the city on thise trips. Last year, my wife took our teenage daughter and her friend there on a separate trip and she ended up staying at the W Hoboken. Since they enjoyed it so much, she booked it for our trip. I'm so glad she did because it enabled me to enjoy the city even more than I had before because we had the added benefit of a phenomenal panoramic view of the skyline from the patio of our room. It was great to wake up to and even better to see at night. Obviously, it's something you can't experience on the other side of the Hudson. The room was smallish but there was plenty of space for the two of us and all of the amenities were what I'd expect from a high class hotel. I'll say the same for the staff, all of whom were very professional. We also like to enjoy a spa treatment when we travel and we both got extra long massages and other treatments from their Bliss Spa. Getting in and out of the city was as easy as could be. Mainly, we used the PATH which was great when we went to the 9/11 Memorial because it took us right there. The terminal was about two blocks away. The icing on the cake was the area of Hoboken where the hotel is located. It was fabulous. Again, with my wife being a native New Yorker, she was familiar with Hoboken. She couldn't stop raving about how it had been improved over the years and especially after Sandy. It was just plain great along the waterfront and in the shopping district. Like the rest of it, it was a hop, skip and a jump away from the hotel. The night life was lively and rich. Talk about a vibe! The entire neighborhood felt fresh, diverse, safe and friendly. I expect we'll be staying at the W Hoboken on future vists. Suffice it to say, it suited our tastes just fine, thank you!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your amazing feedback from your W Hoboken experience! I'm thrilled you discovered a hidden gem on the other side of the river. It's always so rewarding when our guests are able explore the Hoboken area and all it has to offer. Thanks again for the wonderful review which I will certainly share with my team. Hope to welcome you back again on your next trip to NYC.
Stirling, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

stayed at this hotel for 4 nights as part of trip to usa for milestone birthdays. the hotel is excellent, staff very friendly and helpful, location and views are amazing. Hoboken a well kept secret from UK tourists. Far better to stay here and 'commute' by ferry or PATH to the delights of Manhattan than to stay there. Expensive but worth it. wonderful to wake each morning to a view of the city.
This was a better hotel than the one in Weehawken which we also stayed at during this trip and was worth the additional cost
Love the 'Bliss' bathroom products provided

Room Tip: worth paying for a view of manhattan
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
GMWHoboken, General Manager at W Hoboken, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Thanks for sharing your W Hoboken experience! Guest satisfaction is very important to us and I’m delighted to hear you discovered W Hoboken and the Hoboken area. I’m also happy to hear you took advantage of the PATH station and the easy access it provides to New York City. We hope to see you again on your next celebratory visit!
Versailles, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

I have stayed in top hotels the world over and this room wins the award for most unusable room in my experience. Yes, the room is small, but small rooms in Tokyo and Beijing are still usable.

There should be a law that hotel room designers are required to live one month in the rooms they design. Then they might not clutter every flat space in the room with useless junk, gadgets, "for sale" items and needless space eaters. Next, they should be forced set in the chair for at least 15 minutes to see if their butt goes to sleep or if you can reach the keyboard on the desk. Try completing an important document until 2 am, in a chair that won a design award but is poorly proportioned. Most people in hotels are there due to work responsibilities.

How about lights? You can not turn on a decent light to see your way into this room and reading is almost impossible. The closet light is blinding but does not shine on anything hung in the closet. After 3 days I found a kill switch that had turned off all the bedside lights. Why?

Although the artistic design of the room may be pleasing to some people, form should follow function and this room fails on all accounts. Even the toilet tissue holder, an essential item, seems to be an after thought.

But it is not all bad. The bed is good, the shower great, and the location is terrific.

I am sure this is a very profitable property for the hotel chain, but it is not an ambassador that would encourage me to visit another W hotel soon. It's total focus on profit, is off putting.
When you pay over $300/night for a room, Internet access should be included free, like it is in most coffee shops. Soon they may be charging for water to flush the toilets. Ooops, I may have just given them a new profit scheme!

Remember, most people that have enough money to afford such a pricey hotel, have it because they spend it wisely.

I did like the green soap in the room. Unfortunately, there are no other hotels in this section of Hoboken to keep them competitive. Compared to other chains of luxury hotels, this is a very fair review.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view, that is 95% of the hotels attributes. Definitely get on a high floors. O...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for providing such a detailed account of your experience. Guest satisfaction is so important to us here at W Hoboken and I am truly disheartened that the guestroom assigned fell short of your expectations on so many different levels.
You may rest assured I will be sharing your experience with our design team, as it is precisely feedback like yours that allows us the opportunity to continually monitor guest expectations. Thank you again for your review.
Solon, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Stayed at the W in Hoboken, NJ for soccer NY Red Bulls vs Portland Timbers. Darlington Nagbe plays for the Portland Timbers and I am glad to say I was involved with him since he was about 8 years old, so the family made the trip from Cleveland ,OH to see the game. Selection of hotel was based also on the Team being there. All I can say is that my stay was excellent, the hotel reception, valet parking are true professionals. Our view of the Hudson river was breathtaking. The living space was both roomy and luxurious. The price point is high but also is the value. Recommend highly.

Room Tip: Ask for Hudson River view .
Green Features: Linen reuse practice. Water saving showers. Energy savings lighting.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
GMWHoboken, General Manager at W Hoboken, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Thanks for sharing your outstanding stay with us on W Hoboken! I’m so glad you discovered us and had such an amazing experience! Your feedback gives us a wonderful chance to celebrate with our Talent team members and I truly appreciate you taking the time to highlight the service received in your review. When your travels bring you back to the area, we look forward to welcoming you back to W Hoboken!

Been to W Hoboken? Share your experiences!