“W excelled, even for a family” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Hoboken
GreenLeadersBronze level
“W excelled, even for a family”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I was nervous about booking this hotel. Many of the reviews here indicated that noise was an issue and when I read that the station is "5mins away" always makes me wonder by what mode of transport.
Firstly the hotel is spotless and the staff, were fantastic. The W is, at least in my opinion, not focused on families, but the staff were great with kids. The PATH station is only 5 mins away by walking, unless you stop at Starbucks though you don't need to as there is complementary coffee/tea available to go or if you ask they will bring you a coffee maker to your room.

The noise, yes there is noise, but I dont think it was worse than other hotels. The management seemed pretty pro active. At the weekend there was a large sign in the lobby indicating that guests should call & email management if the noise is excessive (they indicate excessive noise includes groups of people in rooms and no party policy in suites). The rooms all have good views of Manhattan, just as advertised.

All in we really enjoyed this hotel, though generally when you have kids a pool is good.

You are close to lots of local restaurants and bars so you don't need to eat at the hotel. Which is great for breakfast when there are lots of you.

What could be improved ? The internet sucks. It is like being is a timewarp, and going back to dial up. It is so slow, that if I was here on business, I would be unable to work. Also I thought parking was shade expensive. I expect $35 in Manhattan, but I thought that being here for 4+ days I could have caught a break, with a reduced fee ... still I understand that you do get in/out privileges.

On the whole, spotless hotel, sweat the details, great staff, but please sort out your internet so I can stay when I come on business.

Room Tip: Get a room on the northside if you want to sleep past 8am, as there is a lot of construction on the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

725 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
West Milford, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I recently spent 1 night at the W while attending an event in Hoboken. I regularly journey to Hoboken and typically stay in either Weehawken or Jersey City as you get a little more bang for your buck. I decided to give the W a shot as I have walked by several times and it seemed nice. Check-In was a breeze. Starwood hotels never disappoint in the customer service aspect. I had a City View Wonderful Room and it was just that. Nice view of lower Manhattan and very spacious. Much more than you get across the river. The lobby bars were great for a drink before heading out. I didn't get a chance to try the restaurant but it was very busy. The location is great for a nice stroll along the hudson. Overall no complaints though I will most likely return to the Westin Jersey City or Sheraton Weehawken. Both as new/updated as the W and usually half the price.

Room Tip: Go for the City View rooms.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My wife called this hotel direct and made a reservation on 3/9/13 for 3/16/13. We arrived bags in tow and was told that our reservation was cancelled on 3/11/13. We told them it wasn't cancelled by us since we were standing in front of them with our bags trying to check in. A manager was brought out to tells us they can't do anything because it was cancelled and they didn't have a room and did not know who cancelled the reservation. So the only thing they did for us was get us a room in lesser hotel and handed my wife and I free bottle of water. Gee thanks!
What did we learn? Stay away from W if this is the customer service we receive.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Our room and the bathroom were extremely small and didn't match up to others we have stayed at in the area. No coffee in the room, you had to get it downstairs in the early morning. We expected more from a hotel that charges those prices.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Very clean and modern hotel. We arrived around 5:30 on a Friday and received a nice upgrade from a cozy room to a wonderful room with a great view of midtown. The gym is very nice. We would stay here again since it is so convenient to Hoboken as well as NY. Great bath products. My only complaint is that it is too modern for me. Very dark and sleek. My husband loved it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Richardson, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

The W Hotel is truly an extraordinary gem in the area. The staff is very polite and accommodating. The facilities are clean and tastefully decorated. The valet parking team brings the car down promptly and makes certain that I have fresh waters bottles in the car. The doormen are cheerful and quick to provide local recommendations. Zylo has great food, pleasant ambiance and friendly servers who took the time to learn my name. Even a small hiccup with the laundry was managed quite well and the W staff made everything right. The front desk team was very accommodating with an upgrade thanks to my SPG Platinum status.

I'll continue to go out of my way to make this my go-to business hotel for Newark and NYC meetings. The PATH station is a hop, skip and jump away.

It's well worth it and you'll love the attentive service.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Hudson Restaurant week advertised online that ZYLO in the W was offering a Pre Fix Dinner Menu for $35 per person on 2/2. I made a reservation and at that time they did not tell me the Pre Fix Dinner Menu was not available. Upon being seated I asked for the Restaurant Week Menus. The Hostess said it was not offered and I explained to her that it was advertised online and that is why a group of 7 of us came to your restaurant. She said she would talk to the manager but a manager never came over to discuss it. Again I asked our waiter. He told us the same story. I was ready to walk out your restaurant as this was false advertising. Since I have ate at your restaurant before I decided to stay. Our dinner and service was disappointing. Our Server was rude and we couldn’t understand him. Two of us who had questions about the menu were interrupted as we were asking questions. This was very rude. He was un-attentive and our food took an hour and half after we ordered for it to come out. Once our food came out the portions were small and not impressive.

After Dinner, four Women under the age of 30 from the group walked over to the entrance for The Chandelier Room. The Doorman told us we needed to walk outside in order to get in. It was snowing outside and I thought this was unconscionable for him to tell us we couldn’t enter from inside. After we walked around the hotel in snow we then waited 10 minutes for one of the Hostesses at The Chandelier Room to great us. We went into the elevator and then they made us get out and wait again. 1 Hostess was placing a bottle order and the other hostess was doing nothing. Then the same doorman who told us we needed to walk around the hotel and enter from the outside let in several people from the indoor entrance we asked to enter through. After we had walked around the hotel in the snow, waited 10 minutes, got into an elevator and then out, the hostess told us that we 4 young ladies needed to buy a bottle in order to enter The Chandelier room. To require 4 women to buy a bottle after just spending $250 dollars on dinner including a bottle of wine is ridiculous. We walked away highly dissatisfied with our night at the W.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to W Hoboken? Share your experiences!