“Lovely hotel but serious noise issues and inconsistent service” 4 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hoboken
GreenLeadersBronze level
Wake Forest, North Carolina
“Lovely hotel but serious noise issues and inconsistent service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I stayed at the W Hotel in Hoboken from January 31- February 2nd. The hotel is lovely - great lobby, wonderful bath products, amazing views, good restaurant, etc. However, the doormen were scarce, as was the concierge. We ordered a car to go out one evening and it was not waiting for us as scheduled. The door was rarely opened for us. And then there was the noise. The gentleman next door to us was yelling and screaming at someone on the phone at 4am. We called security once and the noise did not stop. It was so loud that you could not only hear it in our room, you could hear it all the way down the hall. We called security a second time and finally the yelling ceased, after an hour. What an awful night's sleep for us. I am not sure if I would stay here again. The W Hoboken presents itself as a place with exceptional service and I do not feel we received that during our stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
GMAnna, General Manager at W Hoboken, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for sharing your W Hoboken experience on Trip Advisor. My sincerest apologies for the noise disturbances you experienced. We take our guest feedback seriously and I know that’s not what you expect when you stay with us for rest and relaxation. I must also apologize our Security team did not respond in a timely manner. This is certainly not typical of our hotel and I will be addressing this with my team immediately. At W, we do strive to uphold the highest levels of service and we look forward to welcoming you back to W Hoboken. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. – Anna M., General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My wife and I decided to get away for one night to New York City. We looked for hotels in NYC but a little worried about the bed bug problems a lot of NYC hotels have. I use bedbugregistry all the time. We wanted one close by where we were having dinner but didn't find one that was in our price range and bedbug free. We were a short train ride from Hoboken so we picked the W there and it was a very nice stay.

There are various reasons that could lead you to his hotel. For us, its was proximity to the city and we know Hoboken well. They have a valet service for your car. $35/day. The valets were very courteous and the car was bought back promptly.

Everyone was extremely polite and the service overall was great. When we checked in, the manager upgraded us from the Cozy Room to the Wonderful Room when I mentioned my wife I were staying. Cozy faces Hoboken and there really isn't much to see. Some areas around the neighborhood are under construction. The Wonderful has a very nice view of the city although you do see parts of the construction as well. The windows jut out of the building at an angle so if you have your curtains wide open, you can see the next door room's view area on both sides. Be careful! We just adjusted the curtains a little for some more privacy.

The rooms are very modern, the typical W look and the bed was extremely comfortable. The W hotels are known for that. All the basic amenities. There was one FREE bottle of water and some other Fiji ones that you are charged so double check before you open it. They are clearly labelled so no worries. Unfortunately, wifi is not free. The bathroom was a tiny bit cramped but overall fine and they had Bliss shampoos which my wife liked.

In the morning, you can get free coffee or tea in the lounge area and there is a nice restaurant where you can grab a good meal. We had a very nice breakfast there in the morning. You can order room service late into the evening in case you are hungry.

The location of the hotel. Its about 5 blocks from the PATH train station. About a 5 minute walk and its also along side the waterfront promenade where you can get great views of the city. Its a couple of blocks from the main street in Hoboken (Washington) so its close enough to the restaurants without worrying about noise. Its pretty dead around the hotel but we didn't feel like it was dangerous.

I would definitely recommend this hotel for couples or even business if you need to stay in Hoboken for some reason. The PATH train is about a 20 minute ride into the Penn Station area in NYC, roughly around where the Empire State Building is.

Room Tip: If you care about a view, pick something higher than Cozy Room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing you and your wife’s recent W Hoboken get-away on Trip Advisor! We love to host couples for a weekend of rest and relaxation and I’m delighted to hear you enjoyed your escape! The City of Hoboken offers many great dining and entertainment options and I’m glad to hear you took advantage. We certainly look forward to welcoming you and your wife back for many more getaways! – Anna M., General Manager
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

I came for my husbands bday. Upon arrival I was thrilled with the ambiance and the view in the room.
After an evening out we returned back exhausted and wanting a good nights sleep away from our young children.
We were kept awake for hours listening to parties going on in rooms on our floor. Finally at 2;30 I called the front desk and they sent security. I feel this is unacceptable because I paid for an upgrade and let the staff know of our situation. I don't know why they would place is in such a noisy area of the hotel next to the beeping elevators.
They left a message this morning apologizing but it is too late bc we never rested and it kinda ruined the purpose we came here for.
They never even sent anything to wish my husband a happy bday which would have been a nice touch.
I'm not sure if this is bc we got the hotel on priceline or post sandy regulations. It just seemed to fall short of being a W.

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you for writing on Trip Advisor. My sincerest apologies for the noise disturbances you experienced. We take our guest feedback seriously and I know that’s not what you expect when you stay with us for rest and relaxation. I can assure your room placement has nothing to do with how you book your reservation or in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. I must also apologize if there was no recognition of your husband’s birthday. This is certainly not typical of our hotel and I will be addressing this with my team. At W, we do strive to uphold the highest levels of service and we look forward to welcoming you back to W Hoboken. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. – Anna M., General Manager
Midlands, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I took the advice of Tripadvisor reviewers and requested a room on an upper floor with a view of Manhattan. This cost an additional $60 per night. My room had been cleverly arranged so that you could lie in bed and look at the New York skyline, which was cool. Although it was foggy on one of the evenings it was beautifully clear on the other, and the view was just stunning. Nothing to look at from the outside, and not in a district in which I would feel safe walking alone at night. Xylo restaurant was very good - but not exceptional. Service at dinner was a little slow.

Room Tip: If your budget can stretch to it, ask for a room on an upper floor with a view of Manhattan.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for posting your recent W Hoboken experience on Trip Advisor! We offer such amazing views of Manhattan from our guest rooms and it’s always lovely to hear such praise on Trip Advisor! However, I must apologize for the service you received while dining in ZYLO. This is certainly not typical of our hotel and I will be sure to share your comments with my team. Many thanks for bringing this to my attention. We hope to welcome you back soon. – Anna M., General Manager
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

My husband and I decided to stay one night to have a "date night" without our little children. We have friends in the area and decided to meet up for dinner and drinks. When we booked the room, we got the standard size room. While checking in we asked for an upgrade which we received since we were SPG members. We had a wonderful hudson river/NYC skyline view. I was very impressed with the room, it was beautiful. The front desk staff were very helpful and pleasant even told us about the free car service to anywhere in the city, which we took advantage of, very nice! On a side note, we had our car valet and I never experienced such a thorough check of our car, they took pictures of every angel to make sure we had no dings or scratches. After dinner and drinks with our friends we came back and had a cocktail at the steakhouse in the W, wished we would have had dinner, the menu looked yummy. Overall our stay was very romantic and a pleasant night with gorgeous views to look at.

Room Tip: If you are a Starwoods card member ask for an upgrade while checking in.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing on Trip Advisor! W Hoboken is a wonderful locale for a couple’s getaway and we’re so happy to hear another great experience! We hope to see you and your husband for many more “date nights!” - Anna M., General Manager
Burlingame, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I was incredibly surprised and delighted with my stay at the W Hoboken. First, for perspective, I am an SPG Platinum, travel frequently around the world and always am looking for great hotels.

I chose the W because I was doing business in both NYC and in northern New Jersey. The location is just a few blocks from the PATH train, making it super easy to get to and from NY. It is also directly on the Hudson River giving it stunning views of both the financial district and mid-town skylines.

I was upgraded to a cool corner room – on a low floor, but the two views were the best I’ve ever had of NYC. Standard W feel: big TV, great modern bath – if you’ve stayed at Ws before, you know the deal.

Breakfast was great, solid menu and prices that are probably half what you would have in any nice hotel in NYC. The service both a the restaurant and at the desk was friendly and professional.

If you are only going to NY, then the W is probably a stretch, but if your trip has any stops in New Jersey, I strongly suggest you take a look at this hotel. I know that I will be back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing on Trip Advisor! We are always so happy to hear our SPG Platinum members enjoy their stay with us! We certainly love to WOW you! I’m delighted our hotel was an excellent location for your business in both New York City and New Jersey. With our close proximity to the PATH, we offer easy access to the city. W Hoboken looks forward to your next stay with us! – Anna M., General Manager
Berwyn, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Stayed for two nights on business. Beautiful lobby and rooms, good restaurant and bar, nice staff. However, I couldn't get the temperature in my room to adjust properly...it was too hot to sleep, so I had to prop the window open (this was the recommendation of their facility person who had tried to "fix" it). I also had trouble connecting to the in-room (paid) wi-fi. They were very apologetic but.... The rooms are very nice, bed are comfortable, etc....but if you expect to go down the hall and get a soda, or pick up a candy bar in the gift shop, think again. They don't have either. Your choice is the in room honor bar ($4 for a soda) or walk down the street to the grocery store. Hmmmm.

Room Tip: They have rooms with a view of Manhattan that are more expensive.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for posting your recent W Hoboken stay on Trip Advisor. My sincerest apologies for the heating issues you experienced in your guest room. I must also apologize for the intermittent internet service you experienced. Thank you for bringing these issues to my attention as I will certainly be sharing them with my team. Guest satisfaction is very important as we are always looking to improve upon our guests’ experiences. Again, many thanks for sharing and we look forward to your next stay at W Hoboken. – Anna M., General Manager

Been to W Hoboken? Share your experiences!