“Absentee owner/manager, staff needs work.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Hazlet Inn

You added BEST WESTERN Hazlet Inn to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Hazlet Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3215 Highway 35, Hazlet, NJ 07730 (Formerly Wellesley Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 2X get $50 gift card
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Hazlet
New York City, New York
“Absentee owner/manager, staff needs work.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

Local business that had a party nearby with 100 guests. I went there on two occasions to block rooms for these guests. Not one call back from manager. So first we will not be staying here again.
Second the rooms need updating, and forget peace and quiet this is a local hotel for drunks and workers to sleep it off. Enough said.

The front counter woman seemed out of it constantly gigling etc while wooing her boyfriend. Completly unprofessional.
Upon check out I used a local law firms gift for one free night. It was a managers card signed and was either donated, or pre-paid. I will let that law firm know about this.
THEY REFUSED TO HONOR IT

Last, over $80 for this place, should be $45.

Sad, owner or manager could care less. But endless supply of drunks from local bars, and workers away from home will keep this place here and in its current status.

• Stayed December 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

My family stayed at the Best Western in Hazlet, NJ from 11/24 - 11/27/11. This was the absolute WORST hotel experience we have ever had. In the 3 days we stayed there, we were in FIVE different rooms. There were several problems, including very loud night workers who I thought at first were drunken guests in the hall (and they needed 3-4 requests to quiet down at 3am). We discovered
** MOLD ** in both rooms the next morning. The manager was apologetic, and assured we would have new rooms when we returned that night, and promsed me to my face that my pregnant daughter's room would have a refirigerator, as her moldy room she was forced to leave had a fridge for her juice & milk. She promised that if she had to move the fridge in herself, there would be one. Guess what? NO fridge was in the room. She later denied she said that, reciting the "refrigerators are not a quarantee" rule. There were many problems, and no real compensation. They told me the absolute most they couyld offer me was 10% off each room. (!!!!!!!!) Since we were in FIVE rooms, that should have been 50% off. 10% was an insult. Our trip was wonderful - we got to see family and had a great time - EXCEPT for the extreme stress and aggrivation caused by our stay at the Best (??) Western. In retrospect, I woke up the first night with an extremely bad pounding headache. I suffered for over an hour before I could get back to sleep. It was probably the mold.
I will NEVER consider staying at any Best Western ever again. I value my sanity and my family's health far too much.
I need to add that the two female non-management counter associates were kind and helpful.

Room Tip: Check your room, especially outide walls, around windows and in the bathroom for mold.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

This hotel is near family, I've stayed there a few times. The front desk staff is always helpful, the rates are very reasonable, the room is clean and nice. Bagels at breakfast were good. There is a Dunkin Donuts next door, bus to NYC is nearby too. I believe there is a shuttle to Newark within walking distance, or very close.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

We stayed at this hotel while visiting Sandy Hook national park and seashore. Hot breakfast was included, as was parking and wireless internet. There is one computer in the lobby for guest use. The hotel staff was very friendly and conversational, but not prying. We felt welcome.

We're from the Midwest, so this hotel seemed a little "small" in the common areas and in the room. It seemed like the linens were changed to lighter blankets, etc. for the summer. There was a slight odor of stale smoke in the stairwell -- perhaps this hotel used to allow smoking? Not a problem in our room though.

The hotel is a short 15-30 minutes drive to Sandy Hook national park and seashore. We were there on Memorial Day, and didn't notice any traffic jams. It would also be a convenient drive to Red Hook and other Jersey Shore locations. It was easy to find from Newark airport.

I liked the Japanese restaurant immediately adjacent to the hotel (in the shopping mall). There is also a Friendly's, Dunkin Donuts, Hispanic/Mexican restaurant, and pizza place immediately surrounding the hotel on the same side of the road. And a small pharmacy that sells things like sunscreen, ibuprofen, etc. The Friendly's is close enough for their free wireless internet to work in some of the rooms -- which was helpful since the hotel was having trouble with their phone service during our stay.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Lake Worth, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

Rooms are small but clean, with good linens. I personally do not like the sink in the bedroom design, but that's what it is in a lot of places. The breakfast was good. Coffee all day. Friendly desk clerks. The location was convenient with walking to Dunkin Donuts and Friendlys as well as a small strip mall with nail salon, etc. Short drive to anything else. Lots of shopping in the area.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

Comfortable bed, clean room, accommodating staff. Decent complimentary breakfast. The breakfast was not just donuts, there were bagels, cereals and eggs. So being diabetic, I was able to eat the cereal and eggs. Friendly desk clerks. The internet in the lobby was very slow but it was complimentary. No pool at the hotel or restaurant. But there is a Friendly's which is a place to eat next door and places up and down on 35 along with grocery stores.

Room Tip: Comfortable room, great location, friendly staff.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

I recently had a plumbing disaster in my home and needed a place to stay for my husband and me and our two young children, while repairs were being done. Although I live within about 5 minutes of this hotel, I had no previous experience with it, so I checked Trip Advisor for reviews and decided to stay here. I was completely satisfied with our 3 night stay. The hotel was updated and clean. Staff was friendly and helpful. I would not hesitate to stay here again if the need arises (hopefully not, though!) and I would definitely recommend this to a friend or relative for a clean, comfortable place to stay.

They do serve a continental breakfast (I suspect the eggs were perhaps powdered, but I did not try them myself). The rest was fine (bagels, breads, danish, cereals, oatmeal, coffee, tea, juices, etc). Basically within the same parking lot, there is a Friendly's and a Dunkin' Donuts is located in the strip mall adjacent to the hotel.

The hotel is located on State Route 35 and is close to other restaurants and shopping, and is very close to the Garden State Parkway.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN Hazlet Inn? Share your experiences!