“The best place in town (also the only place in town)” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Haskell
Denver, Colorado
“The best place in town (also the only place in town)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Good: Very clean. Lots of choices at breakfast. Conveniently located just off the interstate. Reliable WiFi. Decent cable. Approximately 28 pillows on the bed (the useful pillows, not those "why are there all these weird shaped pillows on the bed" pillows). The pool looked very inviting. Fridge and microwave in the room.

Bad: Nosier than average - especially when neighbors thought it was okay for their toddlers to run up and down the hall while the parents stood outside my door talking.

About those HVAC units - the control was on the unit. While it had an "auto" setting and a temperature setting, that just determined the temperature of the air that would then constantly blow. I even turned if "off" and it mysteriously came back on every 20 minutes. The only way to stop the beast - unplug it. And this wasn't an issue, because even though it was 15 degrees outside, the hotel room remained plenty (too) warm all night. So in winter time this isn't a problem - you can just unplug it. But in summer it would be extraordinarily annoying to either have the thing run all night or have to turn it off.

The stairwells smell of smoke. Don't know if they have a smoking floor, but people stand outside the exterior door (and in winter leave the door open for warmth) . . . and so the smoke comes into the motel.

Atrocious: The "exercise room" is an absolute joke. Kudos to whoever took the picture on the website that makes it look larger than the 5' x 8' space it occupies.

Average: The beds are a bit on the hard side, but got a good night's sleep. No soda or ice machine on the 3rd floor - just a bit annoying having to traipse down a level.

Summary: Nothing super special, but also no deal breakers. If you're in the area - feel comfortable choosing this motel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Haskell-Wayne Area, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Dear LostInColorado,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I appreciate your compliments on our breakfast choices, location and WiFi service.

I am sorry to hear your troubles during your visit. I apologize for the noise challenges you had and regret the inconvenience the smell on the stairway has caused you. This is definitely not up to our standard and your feedback will certainly be looked into.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
New Hope, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Fairly typical of other holiday inn express hotels that I have stayed with in the past. Fairly modern hotel with decent TV, channels and wireless internet speed. The "exercise room" leaves much to be desired as one of the treadmills did not work at all and the other had a defective display. The exercise bike is not in the same area as the light sensors so the lights turn off every 15 minutes. Bed and linens are typical of pretty much every other HIE I have stayed at. Breakfast is also the same as others in the category.

Pretty good value for the money considering the area. Very convenient for travelers that might be staying in the area on business as the hotel is right off Hwy 287.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

This was my second stay in a Holiday Inn express. Although my first experience in another city left a little to be desired, the room itself was comfortable and not prohibitive of another stay. Besides, I am a laid back and easy to please guest in need of only a decent bed and shower, so how bad could this be? I wish I hadn't asked myself that question...

The bed was so hard and uncomfortable. At one point I tried to sleep in the almost-as uncomfortable chair. The room temperature controls were a mess. There was an engraved sign on the wall saying they were "temporarily" out of service and had to be controlled on the actual unit. I might have believed them if it wasn't such a permanent sign... We had to get up every hour or two and adjust the temperature from boiling to freezing. At two a.m. we were awoken by the chatty people next door checking in. It's one thing to hear people in the hallways outside (although consideration for others sleeping at that hour would have been nice), but we could hear their normal volume conversations clearly in our room.

When we woke up in the morning my boyfriend's chest was covered in a rash. He's never had a reaction to sheets or detergent before and it went away after an hour or so, but it was unsettling to wonder what we had just slept in.

I wasn't expecting much from the breakfast after the rough night but it managed to not meet even my meager expectations. Watered down coffee and juice, cold and salty eggs...the only items that tasted good were covered in sugar and not what I would normally like to eat as my breakfast.

Our hallway also smelled heavily of smoke. The ever-so-considerate 2a.m. check-in neighbors were obviously smoking next door and had left their door cracked to share that with the rest of us. All rooms surrounding us were labeled non-smoking. Not that it was the hotel's fault they weren't following the rules, but they did not seem to be in a hurry to want to deal with the offenders.

I've never written a poor review of a hotel before, but it was so bad that I will never stay in another holiday inn (express or otherwise) ever again. I couldn't leave fast enough.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Christine F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Haskell-Wayne Area, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Grevived,

Thank you for contacting The Holiday Inn Express regarding your experience during your current stay here at our hotel. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to my attention and apologize for any inconvenience you are experiencing here with us.

It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments and feedback both negative and positive are important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. I appreciate the candid feedback we received and welcome and opportunity to improve.

I apologize for the temperature control unit in your room. There are rooms in our hotel where the unit is controlled either by the control on the wall or the unit themselves. The units have automatic temperatures on them where if it gets to a certain degrees in the room, the units will either stay on or shut off and will not go back on until it falls below the desired temperature.

Unfortunately, as far as the guests that were talking late at night or ones that may have smoked on that floor, we do the best that we can in controlling these situations. However, there are times we can constantly inform people to be quiet or not to smoke in rooms, and they just don't listen. Those guests that smoke in room are charged a smoking fee since this is a non-smoking hotel.

I apologize if you felt the breakfast was not to your expectations. The items that are on our breakfast bar are standard items that are served throughout the Holiday Inn Expresses. I will look into the items that you said were either watered down coffee or cold eggs.

As far as the mattresses in the room, pending on the type that is in your own home, it may be uncomfortable. I also aplogize for the sensitivity that your boyfriend experienced with our linens. He may be sensitive to the commercial detergents that we use on our linens.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope you will continue to choose The Holiday Inn Express for your future travel needs.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I am always pleased when I stay at a HIE. It is usually a newer property. Always clean, and the staff are always friendly. This property, in particular, is right off of Route 287 in NJ. Very easy access to the highway. There is a Burger King next door, Stop and Shop across the street, and Dunkin Donuts on the corner.

I will definitely stay here again if I am in the area. Thank you!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Mandi,

Thank you for you recent post about our hotel. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to continue to work hard at keeping our hotel in good standings and provide exceptional customer service. I appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome the opportunity to keep guest coming back.

We hope that you will choose The Holiday Inn Express in Haskell again for your future travel needs.
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

If your in the area and need a hotel then its ideal. I didnt feel comfortable at this Holiday Inn. Its close to Stop and Shop, Burger King, and a short walk for the NJ transit bus to NYC. The breakfast was not so good, same food. Get a lake view if you can.

Room Tip: Lake View.