“Good Hotel for the Area, Not Great” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Haskell
New Hope, Minnesota, United States
“Good Hotel for the Area, Not Great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Fairly typical of other holiday inn express hotels that I have stayed with in the past. Fairly modern hotel with decent TV, channels and wireless internet speed. The "exercise room" leaves much to be desired as one of the treadmills did not work at all and the other had a defective display. The exercise bike is not in the same area as the light sensors so the lights turn off every 15 minutes. Bed and linens are typical of pretty much every other HIE I have stayed at. Breakfast is also the same as others in the category.

Pretty good value for the money considering the area. Very convenient for travelers that might be staying in the area on business as the hotel is right off Hwy 287.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

53 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

This was my second stay in a Holiday Inn express. Although my first experience in another city left a little to be desired, the room itself was comfortable and not prohibitive of another stay. Besides, I am a laid back and easy to please guest in need of only a decent bed and shower, so how bad could this be? I wish I hadn't asked myself that question...

The bed was so hard and uncomfortable. At one point I tried to sleep in the almost-as uncomfortable chair. The room temperature controls were a mess. There was an engraved sign on the wall saying they were "temporarily" out of service and had to be controlled on the actual unit. I might have believed them if it wasn't such a permanent sign... We had to get up every hour or two and adjust the temperature from boiling to freezing. At two a.m. we were awoken by the chatty people next door checking in. It's one thing to hear people in the hallways outside (although consideration for others sleeping at that hour would have been nice), but we could hear their normal volume conversations clearly in our room.

When we woke up in the morning my boyfriend's chest was covered in a rash. He's never had a reaction to sheets or detergent before and it went away after an hour or so, but it was unsettling to wonder what we had just slept in.

I wasn't expecting much from the breakfast after the rough night but it managed to not meet even my meager expectations. Watered down coffee and juice, cold and salty eggs...the only items that tasted good were covered in sugar and not what I would normally like to eat as my breakfast.

Our hallway also smelled heavily of smoke. The ever-so-considerate 2a.m. check-in neighbors were obviously smoking next door and had left their door cracked to share that with the rest of us. All rooms surrounding us were labeled non-smoking. Not that it was the hotel's fault they weren't following the rules, but they did not seem to be in a hurry to want to deal with the offenders.

I've never written a poor review of a hotel before, but it was so bad that I will never stay in another holiday inn (express or otherwise) ever again. I couldn't leave fast enough.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Christine F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Haskell, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Grevived,

Thank you for contacting The Holiday Inn Express regarding your experience during your current stay here at our hotel. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to my attention and apologize for any inconvenience you are experiencing here with us.

It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments and feedback both negative and positive are important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. I appreciate the candid feedback we received and welcome and opportunity to improve.

I apologize for the temperature control unit in your room. There are rooms in our hotel where the unit is controlled either by the control on the wall or the unit themselves. The units have automatic temperatures on them where if it gets to a certain degrees in the room, the units will either stay on or shut off and will not go back on until it falls below the desired temperature.

Unfortunately, as far as the guests that were talking late at night or ones that may have smoked on that floor, we do the best that we can in controlling these situations. However, there are times we can constantly inform people to be quiet or not to smoke in rooms, and they just don't listen. Those guests that smoke in room are charged a smoking fee since this is a non-smoking hotel.

I apologize if you felt the breakfast was not to your expectations. The items that are on our breakfast bar are standard items that are served throughout the Holiday Inn Expresses. I will look into the items that you said were either watered down coffee or cold eggs.

As far as the mattresses in the room, pending on the type that is in your own home, it may be uncomfortable. I also aplogize for the sensitivity that your boyfriend experienced with our linens. He may be sensitive to the commercial detergents that we use on our linens.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope you will continue to choose The Holiday Inn Express for your future travel needs.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I am always pleased when I stay at a HIE. It is usually a newer property. Always clean, and the staff are always friendly. This property, in particular, is right off of Route 287 in NJ. Very easy access to the highway. There is a Burger King next door, Stop and Shop across the street, and Dunkin Donuts on the corner.

I will definitely stay here again if I am in the area. Thank you!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Mandi,

Thank you for you recent post about our hotel. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to continue to work hard at keeping our hotel in good standings and provide exceptional customer service. I appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome the opportunity to keep guest coming back.

We hope that you will choose The Holiday Inn Express in Haskell again for your future travel needs.
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

If your in the area and need a hotel then its ideal. I didnt feel comfortable at this Holiday Inn. Its close to Stop and Shop, Burger King, and a short walk for the NJ transit bus to NYC. The breakfast was not so good, same food. Get a lake view if you can.

Room Tip: Lake View.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Room was nice and clean. Price was good for New Jersey at $130. Only problem I had was housekeeping calling at 10:15 AM to ask if I was leaving. Checkout time is 11 AM, and I had a do not disturb on my door. They certainly should not be calling before checkout time. I was making phone calls from my room, and having a phone ringing in the background was not appreciated.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

Not bad, ask for the lake view. The front desk staff were nice and found a room that was on the back of the hotel. It is clean and looked like a newer property. The breakfast was the typical Holiday Inn Express fare(nothing too special) for the money not a bad value. Would stay here again if in the area.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Alexandria, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I stayed at the hotel this weekend as I was attending my 40th HS reunion. Lovely large room with a great view of the lake, nice breakfast, superb staff, clean rooms, quite a variety for the buffet breakfast ... right off 287, a real convenience. I would put silencers on the AC ... took noisy ... Nice pool, too.

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the lake and not Union Blvd
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Haskell? Share your experiences!