“Amazing Experience even with hurricane sandy.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Now and Save 15%
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Harrison
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Amazing Experience even with hurricane sandy.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

We had a 2 day stay which turned out to be a 3-4 day stay because of hurricane sandy. Initially I was disappointed with the hotel charging 10 USD for each call made, and my hotel bill turned out to be 70 dollars extra. However, the friendly hotel staff managed to help me reduce it to 30 dollars.

When the storm hit, the place lost power, and the lobby was flooded. However the staff were golden. Amazing staff and service. If there was another hurricane that hit, god forbid, I will want to stay here again. They gave out free food, free water ( lots of variety of food like donuts, coffee) and tried their best to help us look for another location to stay. In addition, they did not charge for the extra days even though technically we werent supposed to be there after more than 2 days. They did not drive us away as well because they understood that it was almost close to impossible to find another place to stay after the hurricane. They even sent us to our next hotel using their hotel shuttle even though gas was running low for all of the hotels.

Special thanks to the staff for making this nightmare of a hurricane a tolerable experience.
I would recommend people to go back there because it was a amazing place with great facillities, good location ( broad street in newark) and amazing amazing staff. This place might not reopen so soon so I would recommend you to double check to see if it's open before making reservations.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

434 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Completely messed up our reservations despite requesting adjoining rooms for kids upon original reservation and calling to Confirm request two times and now we are stuck in separate rooms dealing with the kids. I am sitting in the bathroom while they sleep because of the mess up of the reservation. The perfumed smells in the room causing my husband an asthma attack and my child to get a headache. Horrible customer service m

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
atlanta ga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Second visit to the Hampton Inn Harrison Riverwalk, and it is just as nice as I remember it being a few years ago. The hotel itself is extremely nice. The halls are larger than standard Hamptons, the Lobby is nice, the AM Breakfast is great. The rooms are nice, large, and comfortable.

The staff at this hotel is one of the best I have found at any Hampton Inn I have been to. They are so nice, efficient, and helpful, even with a lobby full of people. I can't say enough about the front desk guys. Thanks for your professional friendly service.

I found the shuttle service to be convenient to the airport and the train station. I rarely had to wait more than 20 minutes for the shuttle. If the hotel wanted to really improve service, I would seriously consider a second shuttle running because 1 just seems to not be able to keep up wit the amount of people wanting to use it. And if you miss it, then you do end up waiting.

The neighborhood is ok. I walked across the street to dunkin donuts for coffee, and up to the Tops Diner for Lunch and DInner. I did not feel unsafe, but I will say locals did tell me they would not recommend venturing too far out in the evening if I was walking. I took their advise.

The gym at the hotel is larger than alot of Hamptons. More cardio equipment, but not that much as far as weights go. But adequate.

Only reason I didnt give the hotel a perfect 5 was the neighborhood, and they need another shuttle. Everything else is Great. Staff, Hotel, and Price. I would not hesitate to stay again.

Room Tip: Tops Diner, and the Spanish Pavillion are walking distance Great places to Eat.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 4 days in October for our New York vacation. While the train to NYC was very quick and convenient, the shuttle from the hotel to the station was spotty. We ended up taking cabs most if the time (about $10 each ride). Add that into the $5 train ride each way when determining your savings as opposed to staying in the city.

That being said, the staff was delightful, the room clean, and the river was beautiful to read beside.

Try Tops diner if you go there. It's about two blocks away, and their desserts are amazing!

• Stayed October 2012
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

As other reviewers mentioned, the hotel is very clean and the people were very friendly and helpful. Loved the frig in the room for storing food as we traveled with children. Free parking was also great! The pool looked really nice but we didn't have time to swim. We were given maps of NYC in the lobby by a staff member and he even gave us some valuable travel tips which we were most grateful for. Breakfast was good. Everyday there was a different selection of eggs as well as oatmeal, waffles (you make yourself), assortment of breads, cereal, fruit yogurt. We also checked out the Tops Diner down the street and it was fantastic! A must visit!

The hotel offered a free shuttle from the hotel to Penn Station (and the airport) and back. My only complaint was that even though the hotel had 3 shuttles, they were only running 1 the entire 3 days that we were there. It made for a long wait a couple of times and we even called a cab once (costing us $15). This is the only reason why I gave 4 stars instead of 5. I would definitely visit again.

Room Tip: Even numbers face the river. We were not bothered by the sound of the trains at all.
Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
North Fork, of LI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

As noted in 2 of my other reviews, there were only 2 hotels in downtown Newark, and now there are 3. A Courtyard by Marriot recently opened, near the Prudential Center.

That said, this Hampton Inn, which is located along the Passaic River in Harrison, opposite downtown Newark does a very brisk business, and should be booked in advance as it sells out quickly. This is also one of the only Hotels in Harrison, and it's next door neighbor, Kearny, which adds to it's built in demand.

The Hotel itself is modern, clean, and has a helpful staff. An onsite fitness center and pool is a nice amenity that rivals what some upmarket hotels offer.

As the title suggests this hotel is an affordable option for visiting New York City.
The Harrison PATH station is about a 15 minute walk away, and the NJ Transit Broad Street Station is Newark is about a 10 minute walk. The hotel does offer a van shuttle to these stations, as well as Newark Penn Station, but during peak times there can be a wait.

Plan accordingly and book in advance.

Ken

Room Tip: Book well in advance during peak travel times, and when events are planned at Prudential Center, or...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Slidell, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights in late Sept/early Oct, while on business in Newark. My room overlooked the river, which seems exciting, but it's really not much. Way cooler is that it also overlooks the Newark Bears ballpark, and that's pretty cool.

Staff was wonderful. Had shuttle pick me up twice from Newark Penn Station and there were no issues. Even during the rush hour it only took them about 25 minutes to get me. Location is pretty good, a few restaurants within walking distance, and a gas station next door to get snacks, although they also have a mini-shop in the hotel. There's a bar there too, in the lobby (not like a regular nightclub, just a bar to grab a frosty one or mixed drink.

Front desk was gracious, helpful and genuinely glad I was there. Too many good employees to try and name them all without forgetting one or two. Room was very clean and although there is some serious train traffic noise at night, it wasn't anything I couldn't adjust to. Even numbered rooms overlook the water, Odds overlook the street (not glamourous!). All in all, a decent place to stay without getting skinned by the higher prices downtown or in Jersey City. And with the shuttle and PATH, I didn't need to be all that close anyway.

Oh and the breakfast buffet was VERY well stocked and quite tasty. Lots of choices!

Room Tip: Even number rooms overlook the river and ballpark, odds overlook the street.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Newark-Harrison-Riverwalk? Share your experiences!