“A soft four-star rating” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 3 Attractions in Hamburg
Type: Golf Courses, Sports
New York City, New York
“A soft four-star rating”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Are you rich? Do you have kids? Are you a bit pretentious? If you answered yes to all three questions, then this place is perfect for you.

First of all, with rooms starting at over $300 a night, this is not a place for people on a budget. This is a place where the men spend most of the day playing golf, the women are at the spa, and the kids are enjoying the different pools with the nanny. The golf courses are very well kept and are very lovely. The scenic vistas are gorgeous. The pools are plentiful and lots of fun.

My wife and I went for a getaway weekend and booked at the Grand Cascades Lodge. Neither of us golf, but we wanted somewhere close to NYC where we could unwind. This fit the bill nicely, and we had a very nice, relaxing three days at Crystal Springs.

However, there were some gripes. The beds have memory foam mattresses which we couldn't stand. We slept OK, but found it difficult to move around in bed. The food was mediocre at best (Crystal Tavern, Spring Bistro), bland and tasteless at worst (Kites). We passed on Restaurant Latour (I'm sure the food is delicious at over $100 per person). We just don't fall into the crowd that doesn't worry about money.

The friendliest, most "down to earth" people at the hotel were actually the workers. The other visitors we found a bit pretentious, or unsociable. You see, we're middle-class working folk. And striking up a friendly conversation with a total stranger while sitting around a fire pit is looked upon as a bit odd to the upper-class, I guess. Oh well, they're loss.

All-in-all, though, we had a pretty good time. We learned to keep mostly to ourselves and enjoyed the pools, the nature walks, the spas, some of the food, the views, and aside from the bed, the room was really first-class with a working fireplace and view of the mountains. On a first impression you would want to give Crystal Springs five stars. When you factor in the high price (for us), mediocre food, the lousy bed, and the unsociable clientele, you end up with three-and-a-half, maybe 3.6. So we round up to four stars.

Would I recommend it? Sure. But, again, it's not for everyone.

Visited May 2014

New York
3 attraction reviews
“True Excellence!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

This is a beautiful resort. The rooms are relaxing and some come with kitchens. The views are spectacular. There is a wonderful spa and fabulous indoor pool.

Visited August 2013
Kansas City, Missouri
“Great wedding venue - October 2013”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

My sister's wedding at Ballyowen Golf Club in October was wonderful. The amenities were excellent and I commend the staff for providing great customer service, especially the maitre'd Luis. He catered to the bridal party and was very courteous and helpful. My sister and brother in law were very impressed with the services provided at their wedding. Providing us with a shuttle service to take our guests back to their hotels (Minerals, Appalachian, and Grand Cascade) after the wedding reception was an excellent service to provide and we highly recommend this resort for weddings or parties. We plan to go back to Crystal Springs and stay at one of their hotels for a summer vacation.

Visited October 2013
Fair Lawn, New Jersey
84 attraction reviews
“A Big dissappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

Even though it sits atop the Vernon Valley hills in NJ, a very pretty place to visit during the day and enjoy the breathtaking views, by the time we got to the wedding reception it was pitch dark and could not see anything, let alone getting lost going up the narrow dark winding road.
The food at the cocktail hour was nothing to brag about and was generally cold. The room was very dark and you had to pass through the restaurant/bar part of the place to get to the cocktail hour room. The main dinner course was very tasty and could not find anything to complain about.
The reception room was not symmetrical and seemed very awkward that people were almost sitting on top of each other. The management/maitre d' was not friendly at all and not too accomodating, completely disregarding the wishes of the people who were running the wedding so that he can accommodate his staff when serving dinner, etc.
If you are the type of person who has fun regardless of all these things, then its okay, otherwise if you are a litte more particular, then I would recommend you find another place to hold a wedding. I certainly will not hold my children's weddings here even if they gave it to me for free.

Visited November 2013
Brooklyn, New York
“Nice getaway from NYC”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

I was not wowed. I think a lot had to do with too many children on site. Also, the suite at the Grand Cascade was nice but nothing special. I scheduled a massage at minerals. The massage was not the best and I did not like having to go through their workout gym. All in all, it was a beautiful drive from NYC and I enjoyed myself.

Visited November 2013