“Not Worth the Aggravation” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #22 of 38 Restaurants in Haddonfield
Cuisines: Asian
Merchantville, New Jersey
“Not Worth the Aggravation”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

The Oriental Pearl is a place that I have gone to for years. Sadly, I believe that the last year or two the quality has been declining. The food does not taste as fresh as it did in previous years. That being said, I do like the hot and sour soup and the vegetable fried rice. Being that the Oriental Pearl is just a couple of minutes away from where I live, I called up to place an order for takeout. It was a simple order- small vegetable fried rice and a large hot and sour soup. I waited the 10 minutes that they told me and then went to the restaurant. The order was not ready, so I sat, and sat , and sat for 30 minutes. My order should have taken 5 minutes to prepare for take out. I got fed up with waiting, and told George (the owner) that I had to leave. He told me he had it there, even though I was sitting a few feet from him. I found out, by being over-charged that they got the order wrong. They gave me a large order of both. I told him I didn't order a large fried rice, and he argued that I must be mistaken. He sent the order back to the kitchen to get fixed, and I waited a few more minutes. I walked out of that restaurant feeling frustrated and extremely annoyed that my simple order took more than 40 minutes. I vowed then to never go back. It just is not that good to put up with such frustration. But that was not the end of the story. When I got home and opened up the vegetable fried rice, it was way less than a pint, AND there was a hair laying on top of it!! I question whether it was deliberate or an accident. I may never know, but I do know that I will NEVER go back there again! There are many more similar restaurants that are just as good, if not better. It just stinks for me that they are so close.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

philadelphia, pa
“Solid asian food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Take a tour through the cuisnes of the orient at the pearl in haddonfield. The Oriental Pearl has a wide range of cuisines from Japan, China, Vietnam, Thialand, and Korea. Their food has always been well prepared and delicious served whether eating in or taking out. You cannot go wrong with this King's highway mainstay restaurant.

Visited November 2013
Medford, New Jersey, United States
“Never, ever have had such poor service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

This is my first ever review of any business because it's the first time that I have ever had such a dismal experience. We were a party of six. Three ordered Chinese dishes and three ordered combination meals from the sushi menu. We patiently waited and the first meals were brought to the table after about 40 minutes. The Chinese food and one sushi meal arrived, separately, with a few to as many as five minutes between each. After another 15 minutes, we asked about the remaining two sushi meals, and got a vague response. Another ten minutes and I asked more forcibly, only to get some weak excuse that they mistakenly included them with somenone's take out order. At least they would take action to remedy the error, or at least so I thought. Another 15 minutes (really!)... still no food. At this point, we had finished all of the food that had made it to the table, sharing with the two diners whose meals had never arrived. We requested to cancel the sushi, and have a check delivered. That's what it took to finally get the last of the food, which we really could have done without at this point. The quanlity of the food was average

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great Food! Very Nice & Honest staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I love their wontons! They are thin not that thick noodle that you get everywhere else. The food is wonderful! I have been driving out of my way to eat here for years now. I bring friends here and they all go back. It is a wonderful restaurant.
I ordered take out yesterday, unknowingly i dropped a $20 bill on the floor. Within a couple of minutes they called my cell phone and asked me if i dropped it. Sure enough i did! They said they would hold it for me till the next time i visit!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“The worst chinese food in haddonfield”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Oriental pearl is horrific,too long ,and terrible decor.

Oriental Pearl had Crispy Duck as the special.It was so greasy and just plain out gross.

I also sampled the sesame chicken it bland flavorless and wasted calories.

It took an hour to get into an seat but it was on Christmas eve.

The decor was plain white and boring.

But It was vegan.