“It is all fish” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Thai
Lambertville
“It is all fish”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Friends recommed this newly converted local food stand that is now a cute little Thai /Japanese resturant to us. It is clean ,small but loud place. Greated by a very nice young lady of Oriental decent who turned us over to our waitress who was not oriental,not that there is anything wrong with that.She was more cheerleader then waitress and as loud. We placed our order and when it arrived ,half of it was not wht we ordered, when we asked for the right thing she told us just go ahead and eat it . It is all fish. I guess fish is fish no matter what plate you asked for, to her. It did arrive correct the second time and she seemed to be none to happy. I guess two trips to the same table was to much for her. Since people put so much time into building a new location you would think they would train there staff, Just because you know how to put a fish sandwich in a bag with fries does not make you an athority on serving people. My first and last visit, food lost it's appeal at this point.

• Visited August 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Erwinna, Pennsylvania
“Marginal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

I've been to Bamboo 3 or 4 times. I continue to go back because there are not many good options for dining in this area, and the food here is acceptable, I guess.

I love sushi, and the sushi at Bamboo is ok, but nothing special. It's worth the ride to go to Ota-Ya in Lambertville or Ooka in Doylestown instead, but if you're staying in the area, this is pretty much your only option, which I have to admit is better than none.

Our first time at Bamboo, we asked our server what she suggested for Thai food. She said to try the Pad Thai because it's amazing, but it really wasn't "amazing." It was rather bland. We also got the mango chicken, which was ok, and the squid salad. I'm not really sure that the squid was squid... I've cooked, eaten, and fished with squid before - either it was cooked really wrong making it super chewy, not very tastey, and almost unidentifiable... or it was some sort of imitation squid type product. Needless to say, the "salad" part of the squid salad did not make up for the chewy squid. I would not order that salad again.

The next time I was at Bamboo, I ordered the Mee Ga Thi (Spicy stir-fried coconut noodle with chicken, beef, shrimp, pepper, mushroom, bean sprout & basil). That was really good - nice amount of spice balanced well with the coconut. We also got the Papaya Salad. The ingredients in the papaya salad were wonderful, but there was waaaaay too much acidity from the lime juice that could have been cut with honey or a pinch of sugar or something... it was just too much and really detracted from the wonderful fresh ingredients in the salad. The food was overall much better that time, but the rest of the experience was somewhat off putting. It was a week night, and they were not very busy. There were maybe 2 or 3 other tables seated. When we entered the restaurant, we were not acknowledged by the serving staff. Two waitresses were standing by the door talking to each other, but did not even say hello. We seated ourselves. We brought a bottle of wine. The waitress came over and took the bottle into the back to open it. Then she brought the tiniest wine glasses I've ever seen to serve it in. She was extremely uncomfortable opening and serving the wine. I get that they do not serve liquor, but they are a BYO, so it may be beneficial to teach the waitresses wine service and give customers a substantial glass to drink it out of. I always take wine service into consideration when tipping at BYOs, but it seems that the waitresses at Bamboo are not familiar with wine service. Anyway, there was also a ton of noise coming from the kitchen. First, it sounded like a power drill, then a belt sander... there was some sort of construction going on in the kitchen while we were dining and waiting for our food to be prepared. As if the obnoxious noise during dinner wasn't enough, the idea of sawdust flying around the kitchen while they made our food almost turned me off enough to not eat. I'm glad I decided to eat, because the Mee Ga Thi really was the best thing I've eaten there.

Anyway, I guess this place is pretty good considering the local alternatives. Last Saturday, we dined at Bamboo and the restaurant was packed. It seems that this place is extremely popular... I'm not sure if people really like this place or if it's the best out of the limited options available in the area. Either way, I'll give them credit for having a packed house. Maybe I'm just too nit-picky?? Either way, I'll probably be back. You don't have to be great when you're the only show in town. Lol.

• Visited October 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
usa
“Excellent Thai Food; but small portions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

Both my dinner companion and myself usually order several appetizers and split the main entree so we don't have to get a doggie bag to keep in a hot car. Well, the spring roll appetizer consisted of three medium sized rolls which were very good for 5 dollars. The calamari salad was excellent but there were only 5 small pieces of squid with a small amout of salad for $8.50. Likewise, the steak salad was essentially the same with four pieces of steak for $9.00. We shared the chicken Pad Thai which hardly had any chicken. The restaurant itself is very oriental in appearance with a Sushi Bar at the main entrance.The waitstaff is very courteous. However, I would recommend that you travel down to Lambertville to either Siam or Thai Tida for larger portions for the same price.

• Visited June 2011