“Beautiful quaint town comes up a little short at this hotel” 3 of 5 stars

You added The National Hotel to your Saves list
The National Hotel
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   31 Race Street, Frenchtown, NJ 08825   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Frenchtown B&B and Inns
“Beautiful quaint town comes up a little short at this hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We took a last minute weekend getaway to Frenchtown. What a quaint and picturesque town on the Delaware River! Hotel is very well located on main drag of this small town. Our room was towards rear of hotel which permitted us not to hear street noise. Room is small but adequate. Radiator in bathroom was propped up with a piece of 2x4 lumber. Cracks noted in walls with rough spackeling. Room was clean though. Cost us $209 for the night which seemed steep. We had drinks on the porch and served very well by a young blonde lady. We were grateful to have her as our server for dinner, very attentive. Dinner at hotel was disappointing. We tried pheasant for the first time and it was not flavorful. Would have liked drinks downstairs at The Rathskeller but the band was too loud. Continental breakfast was lackluster, quiche sitting on a plate covered with a napkin and croissants also on a plate covered with a napkin. We ended up having a fabulous breakfast at the Frenchtown Cafe! Overall, good location, charming in that it is a 100yo building, but steep in price, avoid dinner and the continental breakfast.

• Stayed September 2013
thenationalhotelnj, Owner at The National Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for your review. We will make sure to look into the issues you experienced. We appreciate your patronage and we are thrilled that our server provided you with a good dining experience, even though you felt the meal missed its mark. We do hope that you will give us another try in the future (& we just launched a new Fall Menu this past week!)--especially because you get a steep discount for staying a 2nd night in our guest suites. For instance, had you stayed 2 nights, the total would have been $258 + tax for that particular room. Weekdays are even less ($198 + tax for 2 nights), but do not include continental breakfast. Nevertheless, as you pointed out, there are fabulous café's in our little town, each w/their own specialties and personal flair. We are very grateful to you for the time you took to give us your feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back to The National Hotel.

73 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Edison, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

If you are visiting Frenchtown or within a 10 mile radius,you will find that the National Hotel has it all. If you want courtesy,charm,clean,engaging helpful staff, I've found that this hotel with all it's "ambiance" personifies,Frenchtown. The manager Marlon, was a wonderful,respectful to your needs host/manager. The beauty of Frenchtown makes this hotel and it's staff,"like you are an old friend," and they were very accomodating to me during my stay. It's location is convieniant, their rooms,facilities dining/bar are lovely. The best part is the welcoming spirit and the best price in the area. I urge you to stay there ,I'm sure you will return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Edison, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Recently, I was a participant in a GreenFair event in Frenchtown and when every nearby hotel did not return my inquiry or were priced "off the wall," I called the National. Not only were they the best price but their kindness, courtesy and consideration made them the best. I had an unusual request of charging my electric car I their parking lot and the National came through for me. I arrived late and they made sure I was able to eat. Even when my event was over the "personal" treatment I received was great. While waiting to leave, after the event, the national provided a place to hold my luggage, and offered me a "drink," I reuested a cup of hot tea, they gave me a pot of tea, with a real cup/saucer...That too convinced me if you are traveling to Frenchtown or nearby. I urge you to stop there for your room arrangements. The room was spacious, I had Wi-Fi, TV, a clean warm shower and incredibly nice people,ask for Marlon, tell him Larry sent me! You will not regret it and will have a lovely memory as I did. Stay at The National,it will meet and exceed your expectations! Larry@smart

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I have been back and forth to the National Hotel in Frenchtown from mid-August to mid-September this year and have been very impressed with the attentive and personable service. The rooms are comfortable and appointed with sturdy antique furniture from the 19th and early 20th century--mine had a beautiful sleigh bed very like Emily Dickinson's. And the bathroom was modern and very clean. The staff are uniformly courteous and professional.
The hotel was built in the early 1830's and has a colorful and interesting history. Even with a tasteful modern renovation it still retains the charactor of a frontier hotel that hosted (and continues to host) many famous people. Be sure to have a drink at the lovely bar and ask the wonderful and attentive manager Marlon to tell you his interesting stories of the place. There are many. Though this was a business trip for me, my husband and I are planning a trip back just for pleasure.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are a bit quieter.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
thenationalhotelnj, Owner at The National Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
We are so grateful for your candid and complimentary review of The National Hotel. Knowing that you enjoyed your stay with us while attending to business matters--and that you plan to choose us again when you return with your husband to make it a non-work related travel experience--is a joy to read on TripAdvisor. Having Marlon as our GM and knowing how committed he is to ensuring an exceptional experience for our guests, always fills us with pride. And yes, there are MANY stories about this wonderful historic establishment, and it gives us great pleasure to continue to hear that our staff, from our front desk and housekeeping to our Restaurant servers and Bar or Rathskeller bartenders, are all dedicated and focused on making sure that every single guest has the best possible experience while visiting us. Thank you for this wonderful review, and we look forward to welcoming you back to The National Hotel, be it business or pleasure. Thank you again!
Frenchtown New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Annie Oakley drank here- Rod Stewart was a regular in the Rat which is the bar in the basement. Upstairs is the the National Bar- ( us locals call it the Nat) bar where you never know who will be there -locals or the rich and famous. Adjacent to the bar is a very nice dining room. A great establishment which always offers good food and drink. There are also 10 nice rooms. Great place to check out when in the area.

• Stayed July 2013
thenationalhotelnj, Owner at The National Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback! You captured the essence of The National Hotel beautifully & we hope you'll continue to return & enjoy its charm, history, the new menu, signature drinks, & all the new programs that are featured every week. We are so grateful to you & so many who share great stories with us of the memories they create each time they visit. Thank you again.
Cape May Point, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed there a month or so back and were very disapointed in the room. Very dated is the best we can say. Noticed how low the bed sat and realized it was a matress on plywood, no box springs. Jacuzzi tub was filthy (the staff did clean when we complained). None of the blinds on the four bedroom windows functions so we were unable to let in light. Dead paper bugs on one windowsill (saw this in another review). The windows didn't function either. In the tissue dispenser was a rool of toilet paper rather than actual tissues. Old worn carpeting bunched at the seams. Lightbulbs burned out in two lamps. The Rathskellar was not what I expected, more of a basement bar space for young people. The restaurant was ok, the food average to slightly above average and the server very nice. The one positive was the tavern area...that was nice. The place seems to be living on past laurels...They're the only game in town....if they don't remedy their problems word of mouth will do them in. Oh and the guy weedwacking at 6:45 am across the street on Sat morning really didn't add to anything. Not the hotel's fault but I didn't notice anyone address it since it was still going on when we left to go out to breakfast.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
thenationalhotelnj, Owner at The National Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
This is very surprising to all of us, because when you stayed with us, our General Manager made sure to walk you through the room’s amenities, and showed you the Jacuzzi tub, which was spotless, as well as showed you the bed to make sure it met with your approval. We do this as standard operating procedure for our guests’ benefit, and also for ourselves—to make sure nothing could prevent our guests from having an enjoyable escape from their daily lives. Each of our rooms is different and although the majority are Queen and King size beds with box springs, we do have a couple that are platform beds with special mattresses that do not require a box spring. As is our current policy, our General Manager always accompanies incoming guests to make sure that the room is satisfactory, as some have access to our back porch, some face the front of the building, etc. Our goal is to make sure that our hotel guests always receive the best attention possible. He also always walks the guests through the different items in the room, be they curtains or blinds, TV remotes, AC unit, etc. In particular, we make sure to indicate to our guests that our windows are original to the building and in order to maintain the room temperature desired for comfort, only the blinds/curtains should be opened. As is customary in our procedure, our General Manager specifically recalls going through this with you at check-in, and showing you how the blinds worked. In addition, all of the lights are turned on before a guest checks in, to make sure the room is bright and comfortable. I certainly wish that you would have called our front desk to let them know that 2 bulbs burned out; we would have replaced them immediately, as we have a supply closet that is always stocked. Again, your statement is very surprising to all of us who have reviewed your account and gone back through our records, especially because our General Manager recalls checking with you later that day and at the time of your check-out to make sure everything met your expectations—and he was told yes. Nevertheless, I am grateful for your feedback, because it allowed us the opportunity to reassess our procedures, continue to promote a team spirit among our staff, and recognize the importance of continuing to adhere to our established procedures, so that when such comments are made, we can respond with full certainty that the room was beyond reproach at the time of check-in. I am also at a loss for words on how to respond to your comment about our cellar tavern, The Rathskeller Pub. It is a multi-generational gathering spot for local residents and visitors to our town—an open, welcoming, and lively tavern, that offers live music with no cover, on 2 – 3 nights of each week. We do have young patrons in their 20s, but on any night of the week, you’ll also find patrons in their 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s—and even 80s! Everyone is embraced and welcomed. And to your last comment about the weed-whacking across the street: I am truly sorry if that ruined your stay. As you said, that is not something that we control, but I did speak with them and they assured me that they never weed-whack that early—and we ourselves have only witnessed this being done well into the late morning hours. I do appreciate you pointing that out, though, because it allowed me the opportunity to chat with the business from across the street and continue to forge relationships in our town. Feedback is always important. I do hope that the next time you are in Frenchtown, that you visit The National Hotel again and that we have the opportunity to talk in person.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stopped in on Memorial Day. Sat outside on their beautiful porch, had a great beer and cocktail and a horrible burger. The food sounds amazing in this menu. But if you can not make a good burger?!? The meat had zero seasoning, lettuce and tomato. I could have gotten a much better burger at 5 guys! Such a disappointment.

• Stayed May 2013

Been to The National Hotel? Share your experiences!