“Wonderful Service and Terrific Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   31 Race Street, Frenchtown, NJ 08825   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Frenchtown B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania
“Wonderful Service and Terrific Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

I've traveled more than most because of my work, and recently I found myself once again in a scenic area of New Jersey: Frenchtown. Work has brought me to the area, and I have been staying for almost a month on and off at The National Hotel. I feel compelled to write about the great service, the terrific staff, and the wonderful accommodations. My rooms have always been clean, the water hot, the bed comfortable, and the owners and staff friendly. The atmosphere and decor are as though you've been invited to stay at somebody's home, except that it has all the comforts of a modern home, with free internet access, modern bathrooms, and a great bed with comfortable pillows and one of the best mattresses I've slept on in my many travels.

The foold is absolutely excellent in their Restaurant, and the clientelle all seem to be pleased to share moments. There hasn't been a night that I've come back to the hotel from a long day of work, that I haven't been made to feel at home, not just by the staff, but by the other clients who are enjoying dinner or a drink at the bar. I highly recommend The National Hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

There are so many wonderful things to say about this property that I don't know where to begin. I think the previous reviewer hit on it well with the title of his review, "Quaint with loads of character." Guests are overwhelmed by the character and charm of the inn as soon as they enter the lobby. The entire staff also goes out of their way to welcome guests and make them feel right at home.
I arrived very late to the inn the night of my stay. Many small inns I have stayed at frown upon late check-ins and typically try their best to make guests feel guilty for late arrivals. Marlon and his staff at the National Hotel were completely different however. I was greeted at the front desk with a big smile and a larger-than-life personality. I asked if it was still possible to get dinner, even though the kitchen had just closed. Again, most inns would have been very unsympathetic to my situation, but Marlon personally escorted me over to the restaurant and saw to it that I was able to get a bite to eat. He introduced me to some of the friendly staff members and to some of the regular visitors. They really went out of their way to make me feel right at home. It is clear that everyone working at the National Hotel truly enjoys their work and serving their guests.
I was able to experience the restaurant, the downstairs bar, and the open-mic night during my one night stay at the hotel. The food was fantastic at the restaurant and the drinks were also great. I highly recommend the mulled holiday wine they have downstairs this time of year. I really fell in love with the "Ratskellar" and the open-mic night held on Thursdays. In all of my travels around the world I don't think I've found a more quaint or cozy pub atmosphere. The service at the bar was phenomenal and there was a nice fire going in the fireplace adjacent to the downstairs bar. I can't forget to mention the locals. Frenchtown has some of the most amazing musical talent and it is on full display at the Inn's open-mic night. One can expect to be delighted by a wide range musical styles from some very talented musicians each Thursday evening. The fact that the inn has dining, accommodations, and entertainment all under one roof makes this your only destination while in the Frenchtown area. There is no need to leave the hotel at night. It is THE place to be!
Finally, I should mention the rooms. I was very impressed. Many hotels of this age are not well kept. The National Hotel, however, appears to have undergone recent renovations. The rooms are bright, contemporary and immaculate! Everything smells wonderful too! Many old inns have a musty odor, but that is definitely not the case here.
I really can't say enough positive things about this hotel. I absolutely fell in love with it and I cannot wait to return. It is worth going out of my way again to stay here. I recommend it to anyone traveling to the Phillipsburg, Easton, Trenton area.
Thank you to everyone at the inn for providing a wonderful experience that I will never forget!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Culpeper
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

I had an excellent stay - the rooms are clean and well-appointed, but come prepared. No central ac - not necessary in NJ - but the small ac units in each room work wonders. The doors don't quite fit right and the floors (especially the bathroom floor in our room) slope and roll interestingly. The manager/owner is rarely around - he'll be there when you check in and can be found if you need something, but most the time the lobby was empty. As I said, loads of character - I had a great stay - but if you are looking for a place with room service and amenitites, go to the next town - if you are looking for ambiance and atmosphere, come here. I know I'll be going back.

Extra bonus - the food is pretty good at the restaurant and WiFi is available.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

First off let me say that there are not a lot of choices in Frenchtown, a very cute town on the Delaware River with much to offer - great little shops, a few good restaurants, etc. But there are many nice places in nearby towns....

On the good side, breakfasts were nice. Muffins, breads, coffee, juice - all lovely. Also on the good side, the hotel has great potential; it's clear from the nice furnishings that someone spent some money and time thinking about decor and creating a new beginning for this gracious old hotel. That said, our room (#304) had blinds that did not open (you can try tying them up said the lovely housekeeper), heat that was non- existent (it was 42 degrees the night were were there), carpeting that was coming up in the room and halls and peeling paint on our walls. Normally i would bring this to the attention of the owner or manager - but we only saw them once in two days...and ever so briefly.

The place has great potential, but i can can recommend it. It needs much TLC but the bones are there. So, please owners - step up to the plate and give this place what it needs...and also - turn on the heat!

Room Tip: Make sure they paint it and turn on the heat!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Pittsboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

My parents and my sister stayed @ The National 10/13-14...While I fell in love with Frenchtown in the Fall (I live in North Carolina-we have a delayed fall) The National was amazing! I absolutely LOVE HISTORICAL PLACES! The Ambiance of the Hotel was very welcoming ! I LOVED the upstairs bar-very classy! My sister & I had many drinks there....I even forgot my purse -and after I realized it an hour and a half LATER...I ran downstairs from my room, frantically -looking for a manager. I didn't see anyone at the desk-so I proceeded down the steps-which were a little spooky looking in a historical/haunted kind of way! (But I LOVE THIS STUFF) This is where I came upon "The Rathskeller"
I met a manager who raced up the steps w/ me to help me find my bag, the VERY NICE bartender placed my bag in the managers office ! Everything was accounted for , as I knew it would be! The Staff of this establishment is GOLDEN!!
Our room was beautiful ! I really love "The National" and I already told my husband when I returned home to NC that "We are going back there" I've also told my friends from New Jersey to check this place out b/c of the Hotel & The "Rathskeller" the town,its shops, beautiful Victorian-haunted like appearance ....
A HUGE Thank you to the Staff of The National Hotel! I will return!!!

Room Tip: I loved the room facing the main street- but I miss hearing traffic ! It quieted down by 12am....
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

Lovely hotel with charming furnishings. Old but clean and comfortable. Staff were friendly and helpful. Also tried restaurant and were very happy with quality of meal and service.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

Our entire party stayed here for a wedding weekend and it was a fabulous, sweet little hotel. Enjoyed our stay very much!

Room Tip: We had a king room
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to The National Hotel? Share your experiences!