“Might As Well Sleep In Your Car Instead of This Dump” 1 of 5 stars

Days Inn Freehold
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   4089 Hwy 9, Freehold, NJ 07728   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Freehold
Brooklyn, New York, United States
“Might As Well Sleep In Your Car Instead of This Dump”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stayed here overnight for a nearby wedding in Freehold. The hotel itself looks like something out of a bad 80's horror movie. Outdated decor, sad, bland colors (in need of a paint job!) and the unavoidable stench of stale cigarette smoke firmly embedded in the styrofoam ceilings and wallpaper of every room. The one positive I will say about the room is that it looked like a cozy place to murder someone and hide the body for a few days without anyone noticing.

We checked in at 6pm, and then went to the wedding. We got back to the hotel just before 1am and the power was completely out. A bad storm had passed through the area a few hours before and apparently the Days Inn has the shoddiest electricity in New Jersey, because almost every other business along Rt. 9 had their power back on. Not even a generator in the hotel. The parking lot was flooded, and we were told by one of the workers prowling the grounds with a flashlight that we should leave if we could, or "stay at our own risk." The carpet in the room was moist from leaks, and needless to say, there was no electricity, or running water, for that matter, which made the room just slightly less cozy than a homeless shelter.

We heeded the man's advice and packed up and left, and were told by the worker to call in the morning and speak to a manager about a refund.

WELL... in the morning, the extremely rude manager refused to grant us a full refund, reasoning that since the power was on from 5pm - 10pm, we should only receive 30% of the room's cost back. We argued with him until he agreed angrily to grant us a 100% refund.

THAT IS until the next day, when we were told we would only receive the 30% refund. We are currently making a formal complaint to Days Inn corporate, who are about as useful as a roadside craphole hotel with no power or running water at 1am.

Take our advice - sleep on the side of the road if you can. DO NOT go here. This place is a real dump.

Room Tip: Sleep in a ditch, or find a nearby Wawa with an unpadlocked dumpster. You're better off.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

OMG do not stay at this place!!! My fiance and I were to tired to drive while having to travel home for a late 2hr. drive. So we decided to stay at this hotel for one night only. We should have known from the red flag we got, trying to talk to the employee over the phone before we got there that this wasn't going to be good. We could not even understand the man on the phone. He spoke broken english, & didn't even know any directions on how to get to the hotel. We asked to speak to his manager. The manager got on the phone an spoke worse broken english then the first guy did! It was even worse trying to understand him! So we were like forget it. We ended up finding it on our own with gps..... We pulled in the parking lot, and it didn't look so great. But we figured we are only staying one night, So we'll give it a shot. We walk into the hotel lobby. It had a terrible smell, it was very old looking, looked dingy, it just didn't look great lets put it that way. So we get our hotel key card... We walk into our room and the smell was soooo bad! It was a non smoking room, so it wasn't from smoke. It smelled like mildew, or mold! It was so bad it made u sick to your stomach & you felt like vomiting! We looked around and I have to say it had decent furniture, it had your ordinary hotel appliances such as refridgerator, microwave, coffee pot...... BUT...... The walls and ceilings were dirty and disgusting! There were spider webs in every corner of the room! There was an old, broken smoke alarm in the upper right hand corner of the ceiling with a huge crack in it... Part of the cover was off! Some holes were in the wall! They had rugs which were dirty also! The bathroom OMG disgusting, not sanitary!!!!!! I wouldn't let a dog go in that bathroom! Holes in the bathroom walls, spider and some black bugs in the tub, hair on the floor and also in the tub! The sink had black specs in it and another bug!!!! Ugggghhhh The towels were old, stained, and very rough.... There was a chalky film on the edges of the sink, in the sink, and also on toilet seat etc.... You opened the toilet seat , the toilet was all stained.....The plastic shower curtain was also dirty, and old.......It was disturbing! Not that we planned on staying after all of this..... BUT..... The TV did not work..... We went to put it on , it didn't go on... We went to push in the power button manually on the TV itself and there was a huge hole in it! You could stick your finger in it! Not that we would have! But OMG! All around the air conditioner was all rusty and disgusting etc...... This was the most DIRTIEST, GRUNGIEST, DISGUSTING hotel we have ever been in or experianced in our lives!!!!! Honestly it seems like a health hazard also! No one should have to pay to stay there! They should pay people to stay there! Even then, I wouldn't stay! WE LEFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was like they had an old, dirty, dingy, grungy, hazardous room........&they just decided to fill it with semi decent furniture and leave it like that..........Hopefully people will read these reviews so they won't have to experiance this!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Massapequa Park, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

I did not find the horrific conditions that others had reported. We were in room 103, stayed one night and found the room to be clean. Yes, this is not a "hotel" but rather a "motel", which most Days Inns are. The room had a king size bed, a refrigerator, micro wave and coffee maker. No bugs, bed begs or any other nasty stuff reported in earlier reviews. The parking lot was full but there was not a lot of noise. I have pretty bad allergies to mold and dust, but did not have any problems in the room, which indicated to me that the air conditioner was clean (and kept the room very cold by the way....there is a heat wave underway currently), there were most likely no plumbing problems and the room had been cleaned. A nice breakfast was provided in the morning...bagels, muffins, bread for toast, a waffle maker, cereal, fresh fruit, coffee, juice. The breakfast room was very hot. The pool area was clean. In the room, they supplied shampoo, conditioner, a shower cap and soap. There were vending machines selling water and soda. It was convenient for us to stay here which is why we chose this location.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
rehoboth beach
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

this is the worst hotel ...do not stay here..the manager...mr. roger lines...he charged my bank card for 2 night's i only stayed 1 night...i have had the worst time at the day's inn in freehold nj...i came into town for my daughter's wedding...this is the worst experiance i have ever had in a hotel....DAYS INN FREEHOLD NJ...SUCKED do not stay here...if you have money to waiste...just throw it out your window...

Room Tip: rooms at another hotel would be the best rooms....DAYS INN FREEHOLD NJ totally sucked roger lines c...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

On opening the door to Room 233, I was hit by the odor of countless packs of cigarettes that had been smoked in the room. Having two small children, I did not want to subject them to breathing secondhand smoke so I immediately reported it, asking to change rooms. I was told there were no other rooms for my one night stay. There were three cars in the parking lot. I was offered a bottle of Fabreeze. I used my iPhone to find another hotel, but couldn't find another within a short driving distance, and given the late hour I decided to stay in the room instead of sleeping in our car. Given that all our clothes smelled the next day, I probably should have chosen sleeping in the car.

The next morning, I turned on the shower and the water smelled of sulfur. The hand towel available to dry off was soaked through by time I finished drying my hair. The final outrage was that the hair dryer sent sparks flying.

Had I been familiar with the area, I would not have stayed here. Had I been a Hollywood scouting agent looking for a seedy hotel for a drug addict to end it all in, I would have been in heaven.

Room Tip: Just avoid.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Bethpage, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

was staying in the area for a wedding so we had a budget..... if I would have known how BAD this place was I would have booked at the Radisson, that isn't that far from this hotel, or just took the 2 hour drive home. check in was easy, they have no problem taking your money, but after inspection of the grounds and seeing the pool closed, I went back to the front desk to cancel my rooms. they said no because it was after 4pm (yes 4:10 is after 4) and because we booked online. I called the 1800 days inn rep, and filed a complaint. they never called me back to follow up on the complaint, so after 10 days I called back and was told that the complaint I filed was closed out because they claim the pool was closed due to inclement weather. the pool didn't look like it was open for months...... take a look at my pictures and tell me what you think. the people that run this MOTEL.... because that is exactly what it is...... were blowing smoke up the complaint departments A** and they did the same to me... this was never resolved. I vow never to stay at a days inn again.... they don't value their customers.

Room Tip: go down the block to the Radisson
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

Ok so I checked the pictures and they seemed amazing. However, I failed to look at the reviews. I regret doing that so bad. That was the worst 3 nights of my life! I was surrounded by bugs, all kinds of them. Even cockroaches! It was very gross. The sheets were yellowed and honestly the beds were very small [standard]. The bathroom ceiling was also dripping water. The wall directly outside the bathroom was so thin, it closed in. The person who cleaned our room stole a water bottle. While we were walking towards breakfast we saw bug spray on the sidewalk. This lost our appetite. The walls were also very thin so we could hear exactly everything out neighbors were saying. And when their bathroom smelled bad, we smelled it too. Please do not try this hotel for your own sake!

Room Tip: Don't even try this hotel.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Days Inn Freehold? Share your experiences!