“Smoke Odor Filled Rooms” 1 of 5 stars

Days Inn Freehold
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   4089 Hwy 9, Freehold, NJ 07728   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Freehold
Washington, DC
“Smoke Odor Filled Rooms”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

On opening the door to Room 233, I was hit by the odor of countless packs of cigarettes that had been smoked in the room. Having two small children, I did not want to subject them to breathing secondhand smoke so I immediately reported it, asking to change rooms. I was told there were no other rooms for my one night stay. There were three cars in the parking lot. I was offered a bottle of Fabreeze. I used my iPhone to find another hotel, but couldn't find another within a short driving distance, and given the late hour I decided to stay in the room instead of sleeping in our car. Given that all our clothes smelled the next day, I probably should have chosen sleeping in the car.

The next morning, I turned on the shower and the water smelled of sulfur. The hand towel available to dry off was soaked through by time I finished drying my hair. The final outrage was that the hair dryer sent sparks flying.

Had I been familiar with the area, I would not have stayed here. Had I been a Hollywood scouting agent looking for a seedy hotel for a drug addict to end it all in, I would have been in heaven.

Room Tip: Just avoid.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Bethpage, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

was staying in the area for a wedding so we had a budget..... if I would have known how BAD this place was I would have booked at the Radisson, that isn't that far from this hotel, or just took the 2 hour drive home. check in was easy, they have no problem taking your money, but after inspection of the grounds and seeing the pool closed, I went back to the front desk to cancel my rooms. they said no because it was after 4pm (yes 4:10 is after 4) and because we booked online. I called the 1800 days inn rep, and filed a complaint. they never called me back to follow up on the complaint, so after 10 days I called back and was told that the complaint I filed was closed out because they claim the pool was closed due to inclement weather. the pool didn't look like it was open for months...... take a look at my pictures and tell me what you think. the people that run this MOTEL.... because that is exactly what it is...... were blowing smoke up the complaint departments A** and they did the same to me... this was never resolved. I vow never to stay at a days inn again.... they don't value their customers.

Room Tip: go down the block to the Radisson
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

Ok so I checked the pictures and they seemed amazing. However, I failed to look at the reviews. I regret doing that so bad. That was the worst 3 nights of my life! I was surrounded by bugs, all kinds of them. Even cockroaches! It was very gross. The sheets were yellowed and honestly the beds were very small [standard]. The bathroom ceiling was also dripping water. The wall directly outside the bathroom was so thin, it closed in. The person who cleaned our room stole a water bottle. While we were walking towards breakfast we saw bug spray on the sidewalk. This lost our appetite. The walls were also very thin so we could hear exactly everything out neighbors were saying. And when their bathroom smelled bad, we smelled it too. Please do not try this hotel for your own sake!

Room Tip: Don't even try this hotel.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Medway, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

A lot of reviewers say this is the worst hotel they've ever stayed in. These people must have enjoyed a privileged and sheltered life. I've stayed in worse places. To call this a 'hotel' is incorrect. It's a traditional motel, with all room doors opening to the outside. It's right on Route 9, too, so traffic noise is a potential problem. Somehow our room was reasonably quiet. These are very basic accommodations. Our room was clean enough, and we didn't experience the bedbug problems others have described. Maybe they've addressed the issue, or we got lucky. The (outdoor) pool area is nice, and the pool itself is nice, and clean, although the water was very cold. I found it unusual the pool would only stay open until 6:00 pm on a warm summer evening. I don't think it's lit out there, but could stay open until sunset. The staff were friendly, courteous, and conscientious. It looks like a family operation, which I appreciate. The breakfast was standard, low-budget continental fare, not bad for what it is. The breakfast room is clean, with knotty pine walls that are somewhat out of context, but giving a homey feel. I don't want to give the impression that I would stay here again, if given another choice. On our last night of this last-minute Labor Day weekend trip, virtually every other hotel in the Freehold - East Windsor area was booked, so we were left with this. The comparative value here is horrendous, actually costing us more than the Hampton Inn in East Windsor where we spent the previous night. That Hampton Inn is a terrific hotel, way out of this Days Inn's league. I have to give the operators of this motel credit, though - good for them that they can book these rooms at the rate they charge. At half the price, it might be an ok value. They're doing a good job of exploiting the motel-of-last-resort market. I'm actually a bit surprised the parent company would allow the name of 'Days Inn' on this property. Book a room at this motel with very low expectations and you might not be disappointed. One night there won't kill you.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Holbrook, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

My son and a bunch of his friends stayed at this hotel the last week in July. Came home with bed bug bites on his arm and leg. Should have looked up the reviews before I let him book this place. Totally disguised!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011 via mobile

Desperation drove us to this hellhole at 2 AM in the morning. Upon entering the main lobby, I noticed a very heavy odor permeating the air. The room we were given wasn't much better in terms of air quality. I can't say much about the cleanliness of the dump either. Yellowed bedsheets, completely blackened carpetting, and worst of all, that unbearable stench never went away even with the AC at full blast throughout the night. As if that wasn't enough, I felt some sort of small insects biting at me at some points during my sleep. 8 AM the following morning, I arose to take a shower. I reached for the soap bars and shampoo located on a shelf in the bathroom only to find that the shelf wasn't secured very well and completely FELL off the wall. The final straw came for me upon our way out when I noticed that the cleaning ladies were drying the washed bed sheets off the RAILINGS of the balcony. Subsequently, i skipped breakfast and checked out immediately. Needless to say, I will never come back again nor would I recommend this hotel to ANYONE.

• Stayed July 2011
Montclair, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel b/c we were celebrating a good friend's 30th birthday and we didn't want to drive back to Montclair. WHAT A MISTAKE. My poor husband and I have a ton of large, red, and itchy bed bug bites all over our left arms. The hotel is gross. I have never seen a dirtier bathroom. I didn't expect the Plaza Hotel but I also didn't expect a pig trough! STEER CLEAR OF HERE UNLESS YOU WANT TO BRING HOME BED BUGS!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Days Inn Freehold? Share your experiences!