“Not A Real Japanese Restaurant / DIY Sushi” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #24 of 147 restaurants in Freehold
Millstone, New Jersey
“Not A Real Japanese Restaurant / DIY Sushi”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

I ate there last night. When alone, I prefer to eat at the bar. Bad idea, as without a table you have no assigned wait staff. The food courses came out indiscriminately. I wanted an order of gyoza and a dragon roll for an appetizer. First came the roll as I was sitting at the bar, then the obligatory miso soup and salad with watery tan paste that I always pass up. The head sushi chef I was sitting in front of had to ask several of the wait staff flying buy to bring out the gyoza 5 times as he had already made my Chirashi Sushi plate, which was getting warm under the lights. This was the weirdest version of that classic dish I have ever seen. Mahzu's version is do it yourself. They give you thick slabs of fish (which actually were flavorful and very fresh) surrounding a big mound of sushi rice and you sort of put your sushi together yourself. Not an easy thing with chop sticks as we have all seen sushi chefs compress and mold the rice by hand. Like many in the area, it is BYOB. I brought my bottle of Sake which they will usually heat for you in a small tokkuri and then refill and heat until your bottle is empty. They only did this once and I never saw my bottle again. On the wall behind the bar there are many bottles of Sake with people’s names on them, but they are not refrigerated and by the time the patron comes back it will probably be oxidized. My bottle is probably up there now, with the rest of his buds. It is then that I realized that this is nothing more than a Japanese Hibachi, (put on the usual show and throw food in your mouth deal), and assembly line American styled roll joint. There is a much better restaurant in downtown Freehold, NJ with more innovative food choices that also does a little fusion cuisine. After you Google them you will find a handy 15% off coupon on the web site. Yes they do the Hibachi thing too, (I guess outside of Manhattan that's the only way you can make a living), but you will find many interesting choices on their menu.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

93% Recommend
New Jersey
“Love it ! Love it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2009

I am a sushi fan and this is my place when I want good sushi! Sushi is fresh and staff is very friendly even with children!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Manalapan, New Jersey
“Sushi is fantastic...we...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2008

Sushi is fantastic...we go there often. We enjoy the box dinners too. For the money, it's a great value.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Mahzu is favorite of ours for both sushi and hibachi. Sushi is more inventive and fresher than other local offerings...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2008

Mahzu is favorite of ours for both sushi and hibachi. Sushi is more inventive and fresher than other local offerings. Hibachi is well prepared, to order with plenty of show to go with. Portions on hibachi are very large. Selections and options are good. Service is reasonably good. Price is a bit, high, but value is there and except for sushi, we usually have sufficient leftovers for a second meal, making the cost a bit more acceptable. Overall, a family favorite for simple occasions.