“Horrible location yet fantastic rooms” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Enjoy Savings of 20%
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Freehold
new jersey
“Horrible location yet fantastic rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2009

I stayed at the Radisson in Freehold New Jersey for 2 nights/3 days in January of 2008. The purpose of this trip was for me to get away from the house for a few days. No cleaning/no cooking/no watching children ect.

Immediately upon pulling up to the hotel, I noticed what a terrible location it was in. Not only does it lack scenery, but also It's right off the busy roads...

I walked into the building and signed in at the front desk. The woman that helped me was calm, sweet, and generally a pleasure. She made my check-in so quick and painless. Then she gave me my room card and I was on my way..

Before I went to my room, I did some exploring. I wandered upon a ballroom that looked nice and large. I also saw a lot wonderful statues and paintings. The hotel is decorated to perfection..

When I finally got to my floor I noticed a strong garlic smell. It immediately nauseated me. I felt sick to my stomach. I didn't know if it was body odor or old food. I found out it was one of the maids. I don't think it would kill the hotel to ask the maids to shower every once in a while, since this is supposed to be a 4 star hotel.

My room was amazing! I had a large King size bed that looked so large and inviting. The room was well-lit and the rugs were very clean. The curtains worked easily and were very pretty. Not to mention, the flat screen tv(that I spent nearly every moment on). Last but not least, there was an actual desk to use my laptop on. It was topped off with a nice swively chair. Even though the smell of garlic was still in my nose, my new room made me very happy.

Needless to say, my room is where i spent most of my time. I went once to get ice down the hall. The second and only time I left my room was when the hotel had a fire drill in the middle of the day. Yes, a little disturbing( I was in pj's)! Nonetheless, the desk staff didn't laugh at me, which I really appreciated.

Overall, the Radisson in Freehold is an "okay" hotel. I would say it's average. The rooms are nice, the staff are friendly and efficient, and apparently lots of people have weddings there. I guess if you don't mind the smell of garlic and being in not-so-great area, then you'll be fine. Anyway, I enjoyed my stay, but I'm fairly certain I will not be returning.

Stayed January 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Turkish first
Freehold, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2008

I want to take a moment and congratulate The Radisson team. I recently had my wedding at the Crystal Ballroom. I have met so many fine people to make intent on making our stay the every best it could be.
The property’s location was outstanding. Hotel accommodations were very comfortable. Meals were well prepared. Service was top-notch. Most importantly, the staff was always willing and able to assist with any last minute changes and special needs. I have to thank the Catering Manager Amy and her staff for making it happen.
The rooms were beautiful and sleep number beds were excellent. The only thing that was missing was an indoor pool.
I would recommend the Radisson and the Crystal Ballroom to anyone planning an event or simply looking for hotel accommodations in Freehold area.

• Stayed November 2008
Brick, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2008

My fiance and I have been looking at several ballroom facilities in central jersey for our upcoming wedding in 2009. I saw that the Radisson in Freehold was newly renovated and I put it on my list of places to see. I made an appointment with the catering director and got a tour of the place. The Crystal Ballroom is beautiful and has the room I need for my large wedding. You can definitely tell that the place is newly renovated - everything just seems so new. There is even a separate entrance for the ballroom that does not lead right into the hotel - great for when your guests arrive and great for pictures by the fountain. The bar is even centrally located for the cocktail hour and reception.

The staff was very helpful. My fiance and I were given an option of several packages and menu styles. It was easy to find a package that fit what we wanted. The catering director went through all of our options and was very friendly. I thought some of our family requests for the menu might be a problem but she said that she could make some changes and get us what we need.

Overall, we really like the hotel and are going to try and book our wedding (hopefully the date is still open).

If your in the area and need a great hall and nice hotel - I would definitely recommend looking at the Radisson of Freehold.

• Liked — The facilities looked brand new.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Toms River, NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2008

DO NOT BOOK YOUR WEDDING OR ANY EVENT HERE. My fiance and I had gone to see the crystal ballroom at the Radisson a few times. The first time we had no appointment ,so we didn't expect much from anyone. We saw it, loved it, and asked the front desk if anyone was around to talk to. She said Heidi would be with us in a few minutes. We sat down and moments later Heidi came rushing past, telling someone, "I don't have time for this right now." The girl at the front desk came over and apologized and gave us a take home packet of info on weddings.
The following day we returned with my mom pretty sure we wanted to book it for our wedding. It was late, and we didn't expect to talk to anyone. The next morning (Saturday) my fiance called and spoke to Heidi. She told him she had appointments until 3:30 and then there was an event at 6, so if we wanted to come in we should do it between those times. Since it seemed as though she was telling us when she was free, we assumed we would get to talk to her about our date availability, and other final questions before we booked.
When we got there at 4:30, we found her in her office. My fiance said "Hi I called earlier..." And she said "Oh yea, to see the ballroom. Go ahead." And she looked away and stayed at her desk. We were thrown off, so we went and looked for the third time and returned to her office, where she no longer was. We asked someone at the front desk, and they told us she's be right out. She again rushed past saying "I have this stupid tasting to do" This was a huge turn off. This would be the woman coordinating our wedding, and she obviously does not care about the ppl she is working with or her job. She came over to us and said "You have a question?" as though she'd never seen us before. I said well we wanted to talk to you about our wedding. I was inturrupted with "You need an appointment for that" I told her that my fiance called earlier and she told us to come in at this time. Again I was inturrupted with "That was just to see that ballroom." At this point the interest in the place was gone. I told her nevermind and we sarcastically thanked her for all her help.
We left there, and went to a different banquet facility (Grand Marquis). We walked in and were immediately greeted and told to have a seat..someone would be right with us. Two other ppl made sure we were being helped. We sat with the people who would be coordinating our wedding for FOUR HOURS going over every detail, tasting food, getting to know us... After going from the Radisson to this, we were so impressed. We booked it, and it's a thousand times more beautiful and personalized than the Radisson.
If you're booking a special event, don't trust this woman to care about it, or you, or even be there when you need something. It is a scary thought to think of all the things that could have gone wrong at our wedding in that place.

• Stayed September 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Toms River, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2008

We just got married at the Radisson in Freehold, NJ.
The Good:
While we didn't get a chance to eat during the cocktail hour, we heard from our guests that there was no need for dinner because the cocktail hour had great food and everyone had their fill and the bartenders kept the drinks flowing. Heidi and Val (Banquet Manager) are great and great to work with, Val even acted as flower girl, just to help out!!

The rooms were all newly renovated and beautiful. Beds are awesome!!

The Bad:
95% of the people behind the front desk. Horrible customer service. It seemed as if none of them had experience in Hotel Management, especially the night manager - Frank (I forget his last name, I have it written down for when I write to the Radisson directly). They screwed up all our reservations (we held 5 rooms for friends and family), they were going to make my in-laws check in, check out the next day only to check back in later in the day and then check out again and check back in again...I know confusing, after we got that all straightened out, they still checked out my in-laws the next day...very embarassing!! We paid for these rooms and wouldn't you know they gave a bill for the full stay to my brother in-law. Did they want us to pay twice? Mind you, these are minor incidents that happen all the time but can be handle quite easily, unless you are dealing with the Radisson Hotel Staff. Very disappointing.

• Liked — The banquet personnel were awesome!!
  • Disliked — The front desk was sub par at best.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Midwest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2008

Very nice large rooms, very up to date. Large flat panel tvs, sleep number beds, fridges in every room. Nice and modern all over.
I disliked the restaurant- food always had an off taste- even the water.
The management could all use an attitude adjustment. You could tell most of them were just waiting for their time to be up so they could clock out. The overnight desk clerks and several other employees were quite hospitable during my stay I think Jasmine was especially hospitable. I was surprised to find that in NJ.

I feel that the management has their canned responses written on a white board in the back room. They just seem unfriendly and unresponsive to guest suggestions/complaints. They take everything way too personal and any compaints are personal attacks.

• Stayed March 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sao Paulo, Brazil
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2008

We stay there for convenient location (and discount package) for access to Six Flags Park, where my teenager son had an appointtment with Brazilian colleges. It was an agreable surprise to find a place simple but with all the conveniences required by a hotel of this categorie, plus staff interested and commited with good services.
Now on this review is under my teenager son responsabilitie: "The hotel is new, clean and calm, for us who going to Six Flags was a good stay because is near from the park, had a good bedroom in which we could had a good sleep time after the day in the Park."

• Liked — Rooms furniture and proximity of Six Flags Park
  • Disliked — Breakfast room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Radisson Hotel Freehold? Share your experiences!