“Great value for the area” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 6 hotels in Fort Lee
New Braunfels, Texas
“Great value for the area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

I have stayed at this property on four occasions when doing safety training at Columbia Medical Center, usually 2-3 nights per stay. The hotel is comfortable and the food is very good. An added plus in the complimentary shuttle service to the Medical Center and to local places such as the A&P Store. I will continue to stay at this property on future visits.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

110 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Cavendish, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

No frills, but above average for the price. Its not a palace, and the view of Rt. 4 and 95 are less than breathtaking. But, its super easy to jump on the GWB and get in and out of the city. Staff was very nice, food was ok, room was clean. Totally worth the price for its proximity to NYC. Good place to spend the night. Thats it.
Only negative was the AC unit. When it came on it sounded like a 747 taking off in the room.
No biggie, we shut it off.

Room Tip: Top floor is smoking and really smells like it.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Duane H, Manager at Holiday Inn Fort Lee, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Thank you John S. for your assessment of our property. It is always an on going effort to maintain quality and service for our valued guests. So, your feed has not fallen upon deaf ears! Thanks again John.

Duane
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Our first time in NYC and decided to stay away but close enough to Manhattan. Prepare to pay the $13 toll entering. Into NYC. As you can imagine this is not a 5 star hotel so don't expect the all the luxury that comes with it. But the rooms was clean and beds comfortable. The wifi worked in the rooms so that was a plus. Shopping was our main focus so I would also recommend shopping outlet malls in Jersey where there's no sales tax. Starbucks is just a minute away off route 4 so you can stop by and pick a coffee before heading into NYC.

Room Tip: There's no spa that's why I only gave 1 rating?
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Duane H, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Fort Lee, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thank you Molet123 for your honest feedback! It is a never ending quest to bring 5 star quality service to our guests' on a daily basis. I hope you were able to experience our newly renovated Sundeck and pool facility, if not, I invite you to stay with us again and enjoy Holiday Inn Fort Lee outdoors. I will be here to greet you. Thanks again Molet123.

Duane H
Vlierden, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Yes, this hotel was build a long time ago, and the recent refurbishment is not too bad, but overall you get the impression it is old. It was clean that was for sure so no complaints there. The rooms are spacious and the beds are of good quality. Wifi is free. For the surrounding area you have to realize nothing is there, the hotel is just alongside the highway. For that reason we stayed in the hotel for diner. That was just so-so,not so special, not so tastefull. We skipped the breakfast in the morning. I do not think i would go back.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Duane H, Manager at Holiday Inn Fort Lee, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for your well conceived thoughts on our hotel Peter Eijsbouts, your insight has brought to our attention some areas that we will focus on. It is a never ending quest to better ourselves, therefore, you feedback is valued!. Thanks again Peter!

Duane
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

This Holiday Inn just beyond the GW Bridge in NY is obviously an old property, that has had some remodeling and updating, but is showing its age. It has absolutely NO amenities, except for the fridge and microwave, compared to its newer brethren and even the newer Holiday Inn Express locations. While the rooms were clean and had large flat screen TV's with High Def programming, the hallways were dreary and the elevators looked like refugees from an old department store. The personnel were friendly and helpful, but the wifi was so weak in the room we had to go the front desk to get it to install itself in our smartphone. It held but was not very fast when we got back to the room and used it. The beds were moderately comfortable with numerous pillows on them and did not appear to have any unwanted guests hiding in the bedsheets. There was no free coffee/tea save for the couple of pods left in the room AFTER I talked to the maid. The night we checked in there was one lonesome decaf pod, which neither of us drank. The room coffee was mediocre at best and the $2 coffeemaker did not contribute to the quality of the brew. Coffee was available in the lobby for a dollar a cup in some machine that had several types of drinks in it. (really???) Breakfast was an overpriced pay as you go deal with absolutely no complementary coffee or tea in the lobby area. Apparently they don' t read (or care) about the articles that outline the amenities that make people happy. I wouldn't pick this place to return to, even though it had free parking, which it appears most hotels in this area do.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Fort Lee, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Belgedoc1 ,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience and concerns. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Please accept our apologies for your less than satisfactory stay. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and trust that we will address the issues and assure you that proper measures will be taken We do hope when business or pleasure brings you back to the area, you will allow us the opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Zelyn N
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I read many reviews on Tripadvisor before making a reservation here, but I decided to go for it with low expectations. I recommend taking this approach. The hotel is located very close to the GWB which makes it an inexpensive place to stay close to NYC. It is located directly on Route 4 which is either good or bad depending on your perspective. They do have a shuttle that will get you across the bridge into the city where you can transit to NYC public transport. I did not use this service, but it sounded convenient.

There are no restaurants within walking distance so be prepared to drive the maddening roads in the area if you want to go out. The hotel restaurant is exactly what you would expect to get from a hotel restaurant. Its ok, but I would suggest going out unless you are exhausted. On the positive front, the staff at the bar were friendly and attentive.

It appears Holiday Inn made an attempt to update the rooms recently. The bed was comfortable and the furniture appeared new. Everything appeared relatively clean. The air conditioner was outstanding as it kept the room very cold and the noise it generated drowned out the noise in the hall. The hallways smelled of cigarette smoke or pizza depending on who or what just passed through. The elevators also seemed quite slow. I was happy to be on a lower floor to bypass the need for them.

Will I go back? Probably so. The location is convenient for the location where I work. The room itself was ok. The room rate was ok. Parking was free. I will avoid the restaurant, have a drink at the bar, and run up the stairs to my room to miss the elevators and as much of the hallway as possible.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Fort Lee, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear tpmfgman,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of product and services we offer to our guests.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope that we can better serve you next time.

Connie D
Randolph, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I stayed just one night at this hotel, as all other area hotels were booked. Perhaps now I understand a bit more as to why this place had vacancies.
I arrived late, perhaps after 9pm, and found the staff at the front desk unhappy, unhelpful, and lacking any kind of sense of humor or sense of customer-service-orientation. Not a great start. I asked for a room far away from the elevators and ice/vending, which is about the only piece of this reservation that was satisfactory.
The place has been renovated sometime within the past 5 years, I'm guessing, but in the elevator and hallways, there lingers a sense that this property, probably dating to the mid 60's, will never be a Crowne Plaza. It lacked polish, panache, and character completely.
My room faced out on the pool area, away from NJ Rt. 4, which parallels I-95. So it was, in fact, quiet, just as I'd requested. The room was clean and I didn't hear anything from the neighboring rooms, despite the hotel's being quite booked. However, I heard several times during the long night, echoes of Spanish speaking (more like yelling) from out in the hallway.
The ice machine on my floor was broken, so I had to take the stairs to the floor above or below. The elevator was constantly in use, even late at night. The entire 12 hrs. I was at this hotel the laundry facility on my floor was in use. There were also empty pizza boxes, food trays, and all manner of 'discarded supplies' strewn about in the hallways. I felt as if I were in a dorm room.
The price for all of this 'quality' was probably the hotel's most singular strong point. It was relatively inexpensive, and priced accordingly, as I believe it. I didn't bother checking out at the front desk, as there was a long line waiting to do so upon my next day departure.
All I can say is if you expect anything short of a bed, I'd look elsewhere. Clean enough, cheap enough, but other than that, as Miss Davis was known to utter on multiple occasions "What a dump!"
Also, I chose this hotel because it had a decent-sized pool. Only problem was it wasn't open for morning lap swimming, which would've been tough, since there were not one, but two ropes across it disallowing anyone from doing anything other than bobbing around!

Room Tip: Ask for room facing the rear of the hotel, toward the hillside.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Fort Lee, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear jimmy_d_olson,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review regarding your recent stay. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. I sincerely hope that the next time you are in Fort Lee you will give our hotel another try.

Karen G.
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Fort Lee? Share your experiences!