“Average place, Great Location, Friendly Staff!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Fort Lee
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Average place, Great Location, Friendly Staff!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I walked across America with two friends, from San Francisco to New York City. This is the very last place we stayed at on our trip, The Great American Walkabout. It is right next to the George Washington Bridge, and is the closest hotel to New York City that is not actually in the city. That means it is affordable, at about a third of the prices you will find directly across the bridge. I also have found that rooms in the city are more cramped and dirtier. Our room was fairly large, it had two huge king beds, and while the bathroom was pretty small, the room was large enough for three of us. Compared to what we found just across the bridge, this place was actually pretty great.

They had a basic breakfast in the lobby in the morning, with cereal and some danishes, coffee and orange juice. It was a pretty basic setup, but still great for the location and the price. I would recommend this place to anyone trying to see New York on a budget, as the cheap and run down hotels in the city can cost over $200 a night, for bad service and bed bugs. Stay here instead, save some money, and take advantage of the size.

Room Tip: Tell them The Great American Walkabout sent you!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Don't stay at this run down motel ever. The rooms are terrible and there are prostitutes everywhere. There is no manager on duty and the staff doesn't speak English.

This motel should be shut down. It's a health hazard

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Saugus, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

This was one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. The receptionist was surly and not helpful. The room was small and not very clean. There was no closet, just a rack with hangers that was attached to the TV unit . There was a small refrigerator under the rack so you could not even hang a coat there. The bathroom was amazingly small and some of the wallpaper was held on with tape. There were people hanging around outside late at night who were quite frankly, frightening. We stacked our luggage by the door in case someone tried to break in. And besides all that, it was right at the foot of the George Washington Bridge and extremely noisey all night. We barely slept and left before 5AM just to get out.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

This morning of August 31,2012 i went with my husband just to sleep very tired of driving sooo many hrs and decided to stay at this location. Around 3:00 am we found an insect that is called 100ft; as well of BED BUGS, alot of them. After we had our horrible hrs of sleep, was searching the sheets and pillow covers and they all have black dots from previous bed bugs. Dont even bother staying in this Hotel/motel. I

• Stayed August 2012
Thorold, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights in August because we were going to see the Yankees and the Mets play.
Its a good location, right near the George Washington Bridge. However if your not driving across, do be aware that they apparently "lock" the bridge at midnight to people walking which can make it a huge hassel to get back because cabs don't like to go back to New Jersey as we found out.

If your a light sleeper, maybe not the best place to stay. It was a bit noisey sometimes from the traffic on the bridge. However thats not something the hotel has any control over. The rooms were clean and the staff was friendly. The wifi worked fine, as for the breakfast I wasn't up in time for it, so I can't comment on that!

For the price, I would come back. You get what you pay for and all I wanted was a clean room and a comfy bed and thats what I got.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Quebec City, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Hello, I wanted to share my experiences with everyone regarding this property. I made a reservation with the propoerties reservation number, and was advised I would be checking in at a certain rate, well I was advised at the front desk the reservatin had not been made and that I should only ever check in at the hotel. I was checked in, and not given the price of the room, I had to ask, and it was 2 times the amount that I was quoted on the phone. The Manager refused to deal with the issue and it was only resolved a month later. Hairs on the towels and in the bed, and they were not mine. No food in the lobby, and not enough was ordered. NEVER again.

Room Tip: All rooms are noisy, you can hear everything your neighbours are doing.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Albany, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

We are from an upstate Radio Station " La Mega 90.9 F.M. " and go to N.Y.C. often during the summer months. this facility is always available when booking. the front desk girls are very friendly, the cleaning ladies remind me of being home because everytime we go, they will take a few minutes to speak to us in a very friendly manner. this last trip 7/7/2012, was fairly well i noticed a new t.v. in the room, the refrigerator and microwave had to be replaced from another room by myself since it was the weekend i guess, a leak in the bathroom in room 203, but for a few days we did with what we had

Room Tip: we always ask for the upper balcony front rooms
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Econo Lodge Fort Lee? Share your experiences!