“Avoid at all costs! Black sludge water, moldy mildew bathrooms, terrible staff!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Hamilton Park Hotel and Conference Center

You added Wyndham Hamilton Park Hotel and Conference Center to your Saves list
Wyndham Hamilton Park Hotel and Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   175 Park Avenue, Florham Park, NJ 07932 (Formerly Hamilton Park Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Weekend Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Florham Park
Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2008

I am a very frequent traveller and have to say this hotel ranks up with one of my worst hotel experiences - from room quality, cleanliness, hotel staff, checkin/billing, food, noise, etc.. I stayed in this hotel for 5 nights this past week for a seminar at Farleigh Dickinson which is next door.

First of all, the hotel has a major water/pipe problem. Each day when I turned on my faucets, black chunks and residue came out in the yellow/brown water. The toilets were filled with the same black chunks. My coworker's room had thick black sludge come from his faucets. Disgusting! We were NEVER notified of the problem when making reservations nor when checking in. No apology. No discounts. No free bottled water. Nothing! I had to buy bottled water to brush my teeth because I refused to put my toothbrush anywhere near the water.

The hotel is going through a lot of contruction so all day (starting quite early) you'll hear extremely loud construction sounds that actually shake the walls. Beyond the construction sound, there is a large courtyard around the hotel where people tend to congregate until late at night (1 to 2 a.m.). So regardless of construction, if you have a room facing this courtyard, be prepared to hear loud talking, laughing, etc.

The rooms were not clean. The bathroom had black mildew/mold growing on the tiles and ceilings. It was very obvious when looking at the tile floor that it had not been cleaned during my entire stay.

The restaurant food is very mediocre - especially for the price. We had a bill of over $400 for just 6 people - and the only alcohol included was one $30 bottle of wine. I only ate half of my dinner because it was so tasteless.

Finally, the hotel staff is a real disappointment - including the hotel management. When I made my reservation, I informed them I was to receive a conference rate (we had written confirmation of this rate through FDU). They also stated they would send me a confirmation, which they never did. On check in, I noticed the rate was wrong, same issue for all of the other conference attendees. The manager was called to the desk and she promised she would take care of it within the next day and call us to confirm it was taken care of. Of course we did not receive any phone calls!

On our last day, we received bills under our door that STILL showed the incorrect rate for the hotel. We went to the front desk at 7:30 a.m. with the incorrect bills and the written confirmation of the rates. They first told us we were wrong - that our written rate confirmation was incorrect. After a manager arrived, she said she would look into fixing it while we were in our final morning conference session before official check out. We came back to the desk 2 hours later, and still no progress. They finally had agreed to the price but couldn't figure out how to charge us the correct price. We stood waiting at the front desk for another 30 minutes until we were to the point of missing our shuttle to the airport. They said they would take care of it and email us a final bill with the correct price. I'm still waiting for this.

Through the whole issue, we never received any apologies or sense of concern from the hotel staff including the management - which was on top of their utter disregard for the major construction problems going on in the hotel.

I would never stay in this hotel again even after the construction is completed. Stay at the Westin Governor which is only a mile or two away. It is a great hotel!

• Liked — Proximity to university
  • Disliked — Black sludge water, hotel staff, dirty room
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hamilton175, Amy Wickenheisser, Hotel Manager at Wyndham Hamilton Park Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, April 8, 2008
Hamilton Park has just completed a three month long guest room renovation. The water issues that were reported in January were due to renovation and resulted in a loss of water for 30 minutes during certain periods of the renovation. All guests were notified via a letter at check-in that there may be a brief water stoppage resulting in discolored water for a few minutes upon turning the water back on.
The guest rooms and bathrooms are completely brand new with updated appointments including a Keurig coffee maker, LCD flat screen TV’s and updated bathroom fixtures.
As all of these reviews are anonymous we cannot investigate the rate issue, no one on the management team at Hamilton Park recalls this incident. We take pride in our resolution management and receive very high scores from our customers with our response to issues.
If this guest would like to come back to Hamilton Park and give us another try I welcome him/her to call me directly and set up a reservation. I am confident that Hamilton Park staff, as well as the property, will impress this guest and turn a negative review into a very positive one.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Austin, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2007

My daughter had a college interview, someone at the college recommended Hamilton Park Hotel. We got a discounted rate through the college (you have to ask for it, it's not listed). We enjoyed some of the friendliest hotel service we've ever experienced. The front desk gave us complimentary breakfast coupons when we checked in. We ordered room service and were pleasantly surprised at the large portions; the room service guy came back later and brought us free sodas. Everyone we interacted with was very friendly and helpful.

Another review mentioned worn tiles? Well, whatever your priorities are, I suppose. I didn't study the condition of the flooring and frankly couldn't care less. I'm all about the service, and that couldn't have been better.

• Stayed January 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Morristown, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2006

Since we had reserved hotel rooms for our wedding guests, we were entitled to a junior suite for our wedding night. While our stay was brief (in between the time the downstairs bar closed at 2 AM and our 10 AM checkout for a flight out of Newark), we were very impressed by the facility. While Hamilton Park is primarily a business hotel, it is very nicely decorated and has an elegant yet casual feel. The junior suite featured a huge sleeping area and a decent-sized bathroom that featured nice furnishings. The king bed was especially comfortable!

• Liked — Location and appearance
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — None
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Saint Peters, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2006

I'm ranking the Hamilton Park above average even tho' yes, it does need some upgrades. The concierge service and the bellman service at this hotel is outstanding, everyone has a smile. The front desk (the majority of the time) is very patient and happy to deal with weary business travelers who don't know the area well. We arrived well after midnight and were helped promptly and efficiently to our rooms. Yes the tile needs to be replaced by the front doors and yes you gotta walk a mile to get to your room. But the room service food is far above average and the portions are way over the top. I was there for at least five different meals and every breakfast and dinner arrived piping hot, which is not the standard amongst some four and five star hotels. It is a bit noisy in the hallways. This is a hotel that seems to cater to class reunions and wedding parties. Therefore the level of drunken revelery on the weekend is a bit high. Still, it's a good hotel with a good weekend rate. The grounds surrounding the hotel are lovely.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2006

This hotel came recommended and I have no idea why. We arrived at 5pm (you would think the place would be busy)..and there was no one around. No one to help with our bags & when we asked the desk clerk for assitance, she said "there is a cart over there"...If I wanted to carry by own bags I would have stayed home. My husband had to stay here on business so we had no choice, but I wish we did. The restaurant was lousey, the food was old, cold and ready for mold. The bar was not any better. The rooms were ok, better than I expected but regardless I will not return. My husband has told his company and thank goodness we are going to the Hilton Short Hills next month. If the management is reading this all I can say is clean up your service, if you care -- but from what I see, I doubt it.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2006

Don't waste your time here. The place might look nice but that's it. Service was poor. Staff was rude. Manager was even worse that the staff. I guess that is what you should expect from an independant hotel....next time Marriott or Hilton for sure...at least they TRY to correct problems, this place could not care less! STAY AWAY!!

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business

Been to Wyndham Hamilton Park Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!