“Walked in 20 minutes before closing, had a tremendous meal” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Flemington, New Jersey, United States
“Walked in 20 minutes before closing, had a tremendous meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Four of us went to 55 Main last night and had a great time. The waitresses were nice and the food was spectacular. I had a tomato lentil soup that was just right, followed by a chicken cutlet-eggplant entree that was extremely tasty. It was accompanied by really good potatoes and an unusual but simple and terrific vegetable combination of broccoli and asparagus.

This is definitely the best restaurant we have had in Flemington and we have lived here over 20 years.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Flemington, New Jersey
“Creative food & chancy service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

The food at 55 Main is fantastic and the appetizers are often the stars of the entire meal! My husband's favorite dessert from all the great Hunterdon County restaurants is made here. You must try the apple or peach cobbler to end your meal. . .terrific. However, the wait staff changes frequently. We have been left high and dry when there is a large party booked. When we make reservations, we always ask if there will be a large party dining. Interestingly, several times the hostess taking the reservations has been "snippy" with this question. Needless to say, we would dine at 55 more frequently if the hostess and servers demonstrated the same customer care as the chef does planning and preparing the food.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New Jersey
“Really Excellent Food Let Down By Our Server”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

After reading a lot of mainly good reviews about 55 Main on T/A we finally forced ourselves to pass up our treasured Matt’s Red Rooster and give it a try. To start with the overall summary, 55 Main is good and if you haven’t tried it yet you should put it on your list. We arrived on time for an 8 pm Friday evening reservation and the place was packed however we were pleasantly surprised to find a table was waiting for us. Whether that was by luck or design I don’t know but we were seated promptly, water and bread were delivered immediately and most importantly our wine was quickly opened and served. The menu is adequately extensive, very imaginative and contained a lot of interesting dishes that appealed to the four of us so we could definitely go back a few times without running out of options. I won’t go through everything we ate but suffice to say all the dishes were very well made and presented, meats were cooked as ordered, the portions were very generous and everything tasted excellent. OK, I lied; I really must mention the “crisp oyster and calamari with toasted sesame glaze served with a potato, bacon & corn hash” appetizer. This dish was truly awesome in taste and in presentation. It probably ranks among one of the best dishes I have ever tasted, anywhere in the world. Our server described the dish as “not that large”. In reality it was easily large enough for two however, it was so darned good I ate the whole thing myself (unusual for me as I don’t have a particularly hearty appetite) and didn’t take one morsel home! The ambiance was pleasant and when we arrived at least nicely “buzzing” but it did get empty quite quickly and (as usual) we were the last to leave. I like the warm “feel” downstairs at Matt’s much more but that’s personal. So, what’s to complain about? Well, there was one thing that really irked us. Our server was extremely brusque to point of almost (not quite, but maybe) being rude. At times we felt like we were being treated like schoolchildren rather than valued guests. I won’t go into the details but at one point we made a simple request and the response was such a “slap down” that all four of us looked at each other and said “I can’t believe that. Wasn’t that verging on rude”? Not good at all. Without that experience I would probably have rated 55 Main a five but sadly, being treated disrespectfully when you are paying a good amount of money for the privilege doesn’t work at all for me hence I gritted my teeth and allocated four stars on this visit but would have gone for 3.5 if I could as "Average" doesn't do it justice but "Very Good" is really too geneous. It’s so rare that great food, ambiance and service come together and the service (or more properly our server in particular) definitely detracted from what was otherwise a very pleasurable evening. At $200 for the four of us before tip we thought the prices fair for an upscale BYO, particularly as two of the party had a soup course as well as an appetizer, main and dessert (the latter shared). We will definitely go back, mainly for the food, and certainly hope for a better service experience next time around.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Plainfield, New Jersey
“Very nice BYOB!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stopped here after shopping around Frenchtown. This is a wonderful little BYOB restaurant. I can't complain about anything.
The restaurant says the dress is casual but if you're eating inside you may feel under dressed wearing sandals and shorts. Most men wore pants and a button down shirt. The restaurant doesn't seem to care either way.
The restaurant was very clean and with simple modern decor. Service was excellent. If you have special dietary needs or wants i'm sure the chef is willing to accommodate because they asked us if we wanted anything or needed anything special in regards to our entrees. The chef came around making sure guests were satisfied.
The dishes we had were excellent!

I would definitely go back and suggest friends to try this place out.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New Jersey
“Another Delicious Night At This Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

There was no food left behind to throw away. The chef at this restaurant is dialed in to creativity!! The menu even had marked what is "gluten free" which pleased me to no end! For a casual get together with friends or a special night out for a celebration, this is the place! Hope you experience it soon - and I just may be there too.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere