“Baby shower” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: American
“Baby shower”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My wife had a baby shower lunch at this restaurant. Everyone love the place, the food and the service. People were friendly and helpful . The restaurant was decorated for the holidays which just added to the atmosphere . I live an hour away but will go back to try it .

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

70% Recommend
New York City, New York
“A missed opportunity”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

After shopping, my Mum, Laura and I went to the Tavern with fairly high expectations: it looked quite good, and it had been recommended to us.
We were led into the main dining area, and sat a table in the back. After we sat down and began looking at the menu, I realized that 80s rock and roll was playing VERY LOUD.
We ordered a couple of appetizers: Polenta, Mushroom And Fontina Cheese Timbale ~ Layered soft polenta, mushrooms and fontina cheese, served warm . . . 8.25 (quite good); and Spinach And Fresh Artichoke Fondue ~ Served with crispy chips . . . 8.25 (also good, the tortilla chips just right for dipping).
The music remained VERY LOUD. Now, I like Bob Seeger's music, but it was very loud.
Laura and Mum ordered the halibut special (29.95); Laura said the spices in the couscous made the dish. I ordered the a chicken special: deboned thigh stuffed with pine nuts and raisins, wrapped in bacon (21.95). Good idea, bad execution. The bacon was burnt to a black crisp, and the chicken under the bacon was dry.
And the MUSIC REMAINED VERY LOUD. If they turned down the music, and reworked their menu a bit, I'd recommend it. As it is, I don't.

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Northern New Jersey
“Great atmosphere and extensive wine list”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

The Merchant House in Fairfield, N.J. is all about atmosphere. High backed leather boothes, fireplace, wine cellar, dimly lit bar area, etc. etc. Love it!

The wine menu is extensive and offers something in every price range and rating. If there is a wait for a table I suggest getting a fig martini at the bar. I bet you can't have just one.

Be prepared to be there for a couple of hours for a nice dinner. I suggest the burgers, risotto, veal or roasted chicken entree. The presentation of the dishes is also a nice touch. You feel like you are in NYC instead of NJ and the service is excellent as well.

I have yet to have the desserts at this restaurant so I cannot comment on it. I do hear that they are pretty delish though.

It can be expensive depending on how many courses you get and how much alcohol you buy, but it is worth it for a nice night out.

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New Jersey
“Just okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

It was really not good, I will not go back. My husband and I had chicken pot pie which was filled with some sort of cheese, sorry to say I will not return.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Nice place and very consistent food and service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012 via mobile

Make sure you try this location. You will not be disappointed. They will gladly make you a custom meal if you desire and the home made sangria is phenomenal. Also try the butterfly chicken breast.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere