“Clean and Comfortable” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Ewing
boston
“Clean and Comfortable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Recently had the opportunity to stay a night at the Element in Pennington. I travel frequently to the area and usually stay on Route One at the Westin or Hyatt. I was pleasantly surprised with the Element. The hotel is new and the rooms are beautiful. The décor is very modern, and everything is extremely comfortable and very clean, a great place to get some work done. The room I had was actually a suite (I think most of them are), so I had a full kitchen and nice sitting area in front of my bed. The only negative comment I have is its location, you are isolated right by the Trenton Airport, but if you have a car it is a short drive to a number of restaurants and stores. If you travel to this area on business, the Element is definitely worth considering.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Lori S, General Manager at Element Ewing Princeton, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Dear rabble,
Thank you for taking the time to share your commentsand recommendation. We are thrilled that you enjoyed our hotel and easy proximity to Princeton area!
We hope that we become your hotel of choice when travelling to the area. We hope to see you soon.
Lori Simpson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Syracuse
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights with husband and 2 kids ages 2 and 6. Room was large enough where we didn't feel crammed and on top of each other. Kitchenette is nice and well equipped. There is a DVD player and the TV has plenty of channels with Nick and PBS for the kids. Pool was small but the kids enjoyed it. Free breakfast in the morning has continental breakfast items plus hot sandwich choices. From 6-7 they do beer, wine and appetizers. Overall it was a great stay and great value. Not much to do in the immediate area. Sesame Place 15 minute drive. Went to Captain Paul's firehouse dog's for dinner and ice cream about 10 minutes from hotel.

• Stayed July 2012
Dear khewitt31,
Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent trip. We have many families really enjoy our location when visting Sesame Place and glad that you enjoyed our channel selection geared to our younger guests as well as spacious room.
We do have several restaurants in Ewing and a huge variety of offerings within 10 miles in either direction (Princeton or Langhorne/Newtown area). We will work with our team making sure we do a better job of sharing this information with all of our guests.
Thank you!
Fishers, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We are checking out of the Element Ewing Princeton tomorrow and as I listen to the extremely loud hotel staff in the hallway I thought I would take a minute to write a review.

On the positive side, the Element was clean, modern and the staff was always nice if not always helpful. We stayed here with our kids, 2 and 3, and found the following things challenging. We visited nearby Sesame Place, so if you're planning a trip here with your kids you may appreciate this heads up.

We arrived at 1 p.m. and were told that our room was not ready and we'd have to come back at 3 p.m., which was fine because I realize that we were early. When we came back at 3 p.m. our room was still not cleaned and we had to wait in the lobby with 2 over-tired kids for about 30 minutes while they figured out what to do with us. Then we were offered an upgrade to a king suite, which we accepted so we could finally get out of the lobby. Following more confusion we were given our keys. This didn't seem like too big of a deal because the front desk personnel were very nice and seemed embarrassed by the situation.

The rooms are nice but the king suite does not have much room in it if you are traveling with 1 or 2 pack-n-plays. Our youngest is not yet able to climb out of bed, but because we had to wedge the pack-n-play next to the bed, he was able to hoist himself all the time by clinging onto the covers. So the kids ended up in our bed every night and nap times were a nightmare.

The kitchen table and stool type chairs are all on wheels. The table locks in place but the chairs do not - another headache for parents of young kids. So now mealtimes are also a nightmare. The kitchen comes with serve ware for 4, and when I asked the front desk for additional plates/spoons I was told they would "try" to send some up. They did send additional plates but not the extra kitchen towel - you only get 1 I guess. We ended up using towels from the bathroom. I also ended up buying dishwasher detergent as were not given any upon check in nor was it restocked in our room until this morning - our last day here.

The hotel is kind of out in the middle of no where, which isn't too big of a deal, but getting to a restaurant or grocery store is kind of frustrating.

The bathroom only has a shower and no tub, so if you're kids don't shower yet this is a problem, and an even bigger headache if they are afraid of the shower. There are 2 towel hooks in the bathroom which is completely impractical for a family of 4.

The pool was small and cold - we didn't spend too much time there.

After checking my online checking account I noticed in my pending charges that the Element had charged me $67 and $148. I called the front desk and was told that the they automatically charge 10% of your stay to your credit card for incidentals but she was not sure what the $148 was for. The woman said that she would "try" to figure out what that was for and return my call. That was Tuesday, and as of 6 p.m. on Thursday I have yet to hear back from her.

The TV only had about 8 channels, and none of them were "kid" stations. I'm glad that we brought our own movies and that my husband new how to rewire the DVD player because ours was not wired correctly and we'd have had to wait on the staff to "try" and fix it.

Also - if you want to turn on the bathroom light you have to push and hold the light until it blinks and then push it again. There's no switch behind the mirror like we were told and searched for 20 minutes.

The staff and/or guests have been making so much noise in the hallway that now 1 of our kids has been woken up from a much needed nap. I asked them to be quiet once and the noise just keeps going.

That's all I can think of now. Like I said, some of this may sound like just nagging, but for those of you who travel with little kids you find certain things can really make a trip hard. I hope these tips helped. To end on a positive note, it is very close to Sesame Place which was wonderful - can't say enough great things about the park - really made the 12-hour drive worthwhile!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Katherine G,
We value all of the feedback that we receive from our guests and appreciate all of your comments. I am sorry that you encountered several challenges during your stay and that our staff did not come across as handling every situation with a sense of urgency.
We strive to meet all early check-in requests and know that it is challenging when travelling with small children (especially after long drive). We did have some challenges with TV channels affected temporarily and wish that could have been corrected during stay. We will work on some additional child proofing of room upon request to make this easier for parents.
I am grateful for all of your feedback and promise you that we will work with our team to improve.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

I always stay at the Element for my business trips to the area. As a matter of fact, I've been staying since they first opened the doors, so I have a good basis for comparison.

This stay, I saw a difference in breakfast food quality, as well as the luncheon food we were served. I went down for coffee at 7:30 am, and there was none at all. When the hotel first opened, their food offerings -- while not gourmet -- were pretty darned good.

Also, I've noticed that many of the lobby decorations are gone. What happened to them?

During the night, there was a fire alarm that went off at 2:45am. I ran to the hallway, to the exit door at the first floor. Nothing. No personnel anywhere to tell us it was a false alarm. I find that disconcerting at the very least. It took me quite awhile to get back to sleep.

The room is always neat and clean and fresh, as is the general condition of the hotel (hallways and common areas. I'm a bit of a freak about the temp in my room, and this hotel never disappoints. The air conditioning worked full blast!

The conference areas, however, really smell musty for some reason. Perhaps some fresh air would help there.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from a room near the elevators; the "ding" is the loudest I've ever h...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Lori S, General Manager at Element Ewing Princeton, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear up4travel,
Thank you for your review and perspective from a guest that has been here several times since opening. Please accept my apologies for the problems that you encountered. I understand how important that cup of coffee is in the morning so apolgize that we did not replace the coffee as quickly as required. Our breakfast offerings are required by the Element brand and we offer two breakfast sandwiches daily (1 vegetarian offering), breakfast smoothies, yogurts, fresh cut fruit, bread & bagel offerings, muffins and danish, oatmeal and selection of cereals along with juices. It appears that you were here attending a conference as you mentioned the meeting room and luncheon. I promise you that I will review feedback with team. The menus are selected along with our clients for each meeting.
I realize that be awoken by an alarm in the middle of the night can be a scary thing and apologize that we did not have someone at each entrance. Our staff at that time is limited and they follow local emergency procedures and are required to be present at fire control room in lobby. Once the fire department is here, someone should have proceeded to each entrance and I promise that we will review with team.
I sincerely hope that you will be back and have a much better experience during your next meeting.
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

Loved our stay at the Element outside Philly. We loved the decor, the room, and the free breakfast. The staff were friendly and efficient.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Element Ewing Princeton, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Dear TaffyKDavies,
Thank you for the rave review! We are so pleased you loved our hotel and hope that you will return soon.
Syracuse, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

I stayed here for two nights on a business trip. I've stayed here a few times before, and my experiences were always very good. This stay was a little different. It seemed that everything that could go wrong, went wrong.

There were two problems with the room - there was a water temperature issue, and then there was a leak from the room above. The temperature issue wasn't a huge deal, but was a pretty major inconvenience (it was almost impossible to take a shower because there was no cold water at all...just hot). The leak however, was a pretty big deal. But it was handled well by the hotel staff and management.

There were a couple ways that I thought it could have been handled differently though:

First, when I got back to the room after being gone all day and found the leak, I called the front desk and told them what was going on. I was told that the maintenance guy was not there because he was picking somebody up from the airport, and wouldn't be back for over half an hour. I thought that it was odd that there was nobody on site that could come up to take a look and start cleaning up the mess.

And second, the leak was bad enough where I should have definitely been moved out of the room. There was water all over the floor in the bathroom and some in the main living area. The water damaged the light fixture in the bathroom ceiling (it blew the bulb), and it was going down a few walls - including the wall where the room's electrical panel was located. The water was going almost flowing through the panel. The maintenance guy (once he was back) actually told me that the room would be taken out of service and to start packing my stuff because it probably wasn't safe for me to stay there.

None of this is the fault of the hotel. Bad things happen - there is nothing that can be done. But, when I called the front desk back, they had no rooms available to move me to. The guy was apologetic, but basically told me there was unfortunately nothing he could do. I didn't press the issue, and the bed was dry, so I just dealt with it and went to bed. I always thought that all hotels kept a "backup room" for when things such as this happen, but no dice. I got a call from the hotel's manager two days later, and she refunded me one night's stay.

As far as the room goes, it was a good size, was clean, and was comfortable. I've reviewed this hotel before, so I won't go into all of the details. Even though this stay was far from perfect, the plumbing issues were not the hotels fault, and the staff and management handled it well. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear bsannich,
Thank you for the review. We really strive to have our guests experience a great stay and sometimes things do not go as planned. I am glad to hear that our staff attempted to rectify but agree that we could have improved handling. We were completely full during your visit and wish that we could have had more options for you.
I really appreciate your understanding and commitment to return in the future.
Corvallis, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

The rooms are great. Very large, very moderns styling, great kitchen space (which I didn't really use, so I didn't even notice stuff like pots and things). The beds were reasonably comfortable - I could sleep without too much tossing and turning, which, if you've read my other reviews, is saying something!

The bathroom is amazing - the counter is spacious, the rain showerhead was nice. Could use more places to hang towels. One of my pet peeves is hotels that say they are into the environment and then take your hung towel every day - this is one of those hotels.

The breakfast. I had such high hopes for the breakfast based on the hotel website. I ended up eating instant oatmeal every day (when I could finally get a clean bowl, and the oatmeal, and a clean spoon!). They have odd breakfast sandwiches that range from eggs and spinach on brioche, to eggs and cheese on stale white bread, and you never know what it will be from one minute to the next. They tout their smoothies, which I only saw two of the four mornings - turns out to be a sweet yogurt drink and comes in a shoot glass with two swallows of smoothie! They had two guys working the breakfast each morning and they just didn't even come close to keeping up. Only once did I actually find a clean bowl just sitting ready - all the other times I had to ask and wait a while.

Wireless internet was good, but you had to accept the terms every single time you logged on.

As another recent reviewer mentioned, the layout of the hotel is a bit strange and if you are in one of the far end rooms, it is a bit of a hike.

Hotel location seems a bit odd - I was there for a conference in the hotel, but I'm not really sure why anyone would stay at this location otherwise, it didn't seem to be near anything.

Far more positives than negatives, and I would stay here again if I needed to.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear galavantersjoy,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review on your recent stay. We are glad that you enjoyed our rooms and had a good night's sleep in our Heavenly Bed.
We are working on our breakfast with our team. There should always be smoothies on the buffet and we have worked out a rotational breakfast menu so we can share the menu with you.
We hope to see you again, should you return to the Princeton area.

Lori Simpson

Been to Element Ewing Princeton? Share your experiences!