“Very good Korean meat barbeque” 4 of 5 stars

(201) 816-9300
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Korean
Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey
“Very good Korean meat barbeque”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I've eaten lunch here several times since its opening in Jan 2012. Pretty easy because I live 3 blocks away. I like the food very much. It is always kept very clean. There are usually many customers when I go but it's never real crowded, not because it's unpopular but I think rather because I just happened to be there at non-peak hours. Service is good, fast, and helpful. I don't speak any Korean, although my wife is Korean so she helps with communication, but the staff knows enough English so that non-Koreans can survive just fine. The cost is about normal for a large buffet.

When you sit down at your table, one of the staff starts up your gas grill in the center of the table. You go to the buffet food section and select your food to be barbecued. They have the Korean marinated beef short ribs, kalbi, as well as bulgogi, made with a different marinade. They also have spicy pork, sausage (sweet Italian type, I believe), and some other treats like intestines (not sure if they were beef or pig). You bring your plate back to your table. The staff will come over and cut up the meat into smaller pieces if necessary and then place them on the grill. Or you can do it yourself and do the rest of the cooking. The staff will come over quite frequently to check on you and the food on the grill. They also will change the grill plate as needed when it gets very brown and grimy. The new plate upon heating gives off the smell of a something having been freshly scrubbed with a Brillo pad, a metallic soapy odor that I always notice immediately and bothers me a little bit but it disappears quickly.

They have an adequate selection of other buffet foods, either cold or already cooked. Not an enormous variety but quite sufficient. There are the usual banchan selections, various kimchi types, Korean pancakes, and mandoo, those great huge Korean dumplings, either fried or steamed. They have various salads, rice, soups, cooked chicken wings. They only have a few fresh fruit choices. And usually only one or two Korean desserts, as typical for their restaurants..

Although there is a fume hood directly above the grill at each table, it's fairly high up and not super-strong, and one big problem you'll encounter is that your clothes will pick up the food smell. However this problem is going to be pretty common for all Korean barbecues.

There are other Korean barbecue restaurants in the area that have charcoal grills instead of gas. Some prefer highly the charcoal grill, but I think the gas grill works just as well. There's another place nearby where I prefer their marinated beef, just a bit more tasty to me, but Picnic Garden is still very good.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Woodland Park, New Jersey
“Great Korean barbecue”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We went to a great barbecue on the 4th of July, Korean barbecue! We love Korean food, especially the barbecue beef, and this place lived up to our expectations. The staff is very friendly and helpful. They change the grilling plate after each use so the next round of food gets a clean start. We went mainly for the beef, ALL YOU CAN EAT!, but there are also noodle dishes that are very good. Thin slices of marinated, boneless beef are grilled, then you wrap them in lettuce and enjoy. Awesome! We tried the squid but didn't care for it. The only negatives are the floor is a bit slippery, probably from the changing of the grilling plates, grease drips on the floor. Ladies, do not wear high heels. You also leave there smelling like you worked the deep fryer at McDonalds all day. Since you are sitting around a grill eating, what else would you expect? So dress casually. Overall, we love this place and will be going back soon.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Excellent Korean Buffet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

First time at this Korean BBQ chain. Went for Sunday lunch. Super clean. Helpful and friendly service. I would go back in a heartbeat!

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Wood Ridge, New Jersey
“Great Korean BBQ Buffet!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

This place is the sister restaurant of the one in Flushing, NY and Edison, NJ and it is great! Just opened in Jan 2012 I believe and the place is large, open, and right now not very crowded because I don't think the secret is out yet of it opening.

While it doesn't have the huge amount of selection that is in Flushing and Edison, it had more than enough of what I eat. And the price would be the same as if I had ordered a la carte from a regular Korean restaurant, yet here since I'm especially a meat person got a lot more meat:)

• Visited February 2012