“Stay away!” 1 of 5 stars

(201) 871-7155
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Solaia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 78 Restaurants in Englewood
Cuisines: Italian, Steakhouse
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: E Palisade Ave
Transit: Bus stop on Palisade Avenue and the corner of North Van Brunt Street.
“Stay away!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

There is a saying that goes, "some things get better with age." This does NOT apply to Solaia.

It is completely incomprehensible how this restaurant is still in business.

I have been there at least ten (10) times, always swearing it will be my last. Shame on me, I guess.

Overall, it is a very pleasant looking place. A little "Jersey chic" for my taste, but very warm and inviting. Do not be fooled!

The menu contains a large number of interesting sounding Italian and Italian-influenced dishes. From my experiences, they vary from mediocre to lousy. The only constant throughout the menu is the high price.

My experiences include, but are not limited to:

-paying for a $130.00 tab (for two people who are not big drinkers) with two $100.00 bills, and the waiter not bringing us change. He must be used to getting 65% tips. After about 15 minutes of him not returning with change, and the restaurant was basically empty, we had to get the manager. Then it took another 10 minutes for the waiter to bring the change, and he had a definite attitude. Seriously, I am embellishing this one bit, I honestly believe he though he was getting a $70.00 tip on a $130.00 tab.

-going in for lunch one day with the Mrs., and were the only people in the restaurant. We were given a two-top hard up against the entrance to the kitchen, basically the worst table in the place. We then asked to be moved they gave us such a hard time we left. The place was completely empty!

-went in for dinner one night with the Mrs. and the food was absolutely horrific. My wife ordered penne a la vodka, and it really seemed to be boxed pasta with sauce from a jar. And they were pretty miserly with the portions too.

-went in for dinner one night with a few friends (the Mrs. refuses to go), and every single entree we ordered was lousy, at best. One "special" from the menu smelled so bad that the people at the surrounding tables were complaining. It was only after a serious argument between our party and the surrounding tables on one side, and the seemingly never present waiter and manager on the other that they agreed to remove it and take it off the bill. Then they "forgot" to remove it from the bill, and it took another twenty minutes for them to correct their "mistake."

Save your money. There is a Wendy's two blocks down Palisades Avenue that is haute cuisine compared to the offal this place passes off as food. And the service at Wendy's is five star compared to this place.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

New York City, New York
“Overpriced”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

They had a risotto as an appetizer one course. I asked to have them make it for my main course. It was a porcini mushroom risotto and I got charged $32

Visited November 2012
st barths
“The best Italian Restaurant in Englewood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

we just been there 2 weeks ago, and we was receive by the owner. This was the best service we have in New Jersey. The food was amazing. We want to come back. The coolest address.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
nj
“Terrible food! Terrible service!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Made reservations before a show at Bergen PAC, location is perfect, however, the food was awful and the service even worse. The odd part was it wasn't even busy, yet, wait staff and hostess stood around playing with IPhones not attending to customers. Food was blan. The only good thing was the window view!!!

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York
“Not getting any better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We have been here quite a few times over the past five years or so, we stop whenever we attend a concert at Bergen Pac which is basically next door. I wish I could say it was better than it is, but it's not. We were there about six months ago, I could not get a reservation online for some reason so I called. Upon arriving we were told we did not have a reservation and they could not help us. I showed them my cell phone which had their phone number , the date I called and the amount of time I spent on the phone to make the reservations. They said they could not help me, no apology, basically argued with me and told me they could give me a table at the pizza place next door.. I wrote a letter to the management, they apologized and sent me a gift certificate which was the right thing to do.Okay, slate clean. Four of us went back the other night. Service was okay but they brought two of the wrong meals to the table. My friend ate his as he didn't care. I was supposed to get grilled steak special, cherry tomatoes, peppers, onions all on a platter. I got a steak with spinach and a roasted potato. I asked where the peppers and such were so they brought me two hot peppers cut in half. I told the waiter that he didn't understand and asked for the meal I was supposed to get. He gave me a side dish of onions, peppers and hot cherry peppers. As for dessert they had several choices and I asked for the Chocolate Mousse. I got a lava cake! I told the waiter what I ordered and he said yes, that's the chocolate mousse! A fudge cake with chocolate oozing out of it is not Mousse, no matter how you twist it.There seems to be a language problem here as well as a management problem. The prices are higher than ever and the service and product is sub-par. We won't be going back.

• Visited April 2012