“Convenient, Clean, and Service with a smile!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Elizabeth
Mount Pocono, Pennsylvania
“Convenient, Clean, and Service with a smile!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

We stayed here just for one night to see a nearby concert. The front desk staff where very helpful and friendly as well as the shuttle service to the concert hall. Our room was clean and comfortable. I didn't hear planes off in the distance and we slept well. We included the buffet breakfast in our package. It included a couple hot dishes, fresh fruit, cereals, and beverages. Everything was fine, clean and fairly standard.

I believe they were updating their signage at the time we were staying there. I would suggest, if they haven't already, to add a sign on the back side of the hotel where their is a ramp where we came off of. This would help with guests looking for the hotel and also for advertisement.

I would definitely stay here again for a concert or for an early morning flight out of Newark. Thank you!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Carlos V, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Newark Airport, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your compliments. Were glad you enjoyed your stay with us and found our local shuttle helpful with getting to the concert. We are indeed updating our signage and there is currently one on the front and back of the hotel. We will also be adding another sign on the side of our building which will certainly help guests identify where the Crowne Plaza is.

Our staff works diligently to always improve on the service experience of our guests. Our team appreciates your compliments and we hope to see you soon on your next trip.

As always you may contact me at cvalerio@menlohotels.com with any additional comments you may have.

Best Regards,
Carlos Valerio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Columbia, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

As is usual, your feeling about this hotel will depend on the purpose of your visit and your expectations:

As an overnight stay at the airport - very good
As a stop over on your way to catch a train to Manhattan - works
As a budget alternative to staying in Manhattan if you have time for a train ride back and forth - ok

On the other hand it will not work for you if:

You are coming to stay at a nice high end hotel for a weekend - nope
You are look looking to explore nearby restaurants and attractions - none exist
You want to be pampered and well fed - bad choice

With that in mind, you should make your choice. This hotel is situated in an industrial part of Newark and there is NOTHING around ( a little Afghani dive nearby if you want to be adventurous). The rooms are actually good. Bedding modern and comfortable. bathrooms and showers are decent. ) that is what makes it a good overnight stay. The fitness room is also pretty good and there is even an indoor pool. The service is spotty at best. I am sure they struggle to hire quality staff. Some are nice but most are clueless. The breakfast buffet is awful. The restaurant food is just ok. stick to basics and things that warm up well.

One interesting alternative for this hotel is when the hotels in Manhattan are booked up and prices are crazy, you can stay here for a reasonable price and catch a shuttle to the airport tram that will take you directly to the train station. It' a relatively short ride from there to Grand Central in the heart of manhattan. For families traveling to Manhattan on a budget, this can work very well.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Newark Airport, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear onepoet,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. We are pleased to see you enjoyed your visit overall. It is unfortunate the surroundings of the hotel marred your experience.

Ben J
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

I stayed here for just three nights, I picked this hotel as I was embarking on a TopDeck cross-country American tour, and this hotel was the tour's starting point.
Upon arrival, after having a 30 hour journey from Perth, Western Australia to New York, I decided to take a taxi to the hotel rather than trying to navigate the trains or locate an airport shuttle, I was quite unorganised compared to usual. The taxi out to this hotel was $90! Not sure if I was jipped or not, but either way, tips to others - get a shuttle or the train!

The reception staff were very helpful, and got me checked-in straight away. The next morning though I was asking where the breakfast room was as there was no signage that I noticed, and the staff were rather rude! Also when I was checking out they were rude - left me standing at the counter for ages, not even an acknowledgement, little eye contact, and a lack of smiles!

The room was nice enough, but quite basic! My TV stopped working on the second night, I think there was a problem with the signal, I reported it three times but no one came up to look. Lucky there is complimentary WiFi in the room, otherwise there would have been no entertainment! The bathroom was older and was not overly clean, the aircon was noisy! I ordered room service on the first night, the food was less than average, I ordered a grilled cheese sandwich which was burnt, but the price wasn't too bad! I had breakfast included in my package, it was a great selection, the waiters were friendly, and the dining area was good.

There is a little cafe in the hotel that is open 24 hours a day, I think it was overpriced, and the staff were quite rude.

To get into NYC from this hotel, I walked about 15mins to the North Elizabeth train station and ended up in 8th Ave, there are no maps or brochures explaining what trains to catch, lucky the locals know what's going on and were happy to point me in the right direction. A couple of the nights I got back pretty late, and walked back from the train station to the hotel, the town of Elizabeth was fine, did not feel intimdated at all :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear Daniellek88,

Ben J
Galway, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this property due to its convenient location - very late arrival into Newark airport. Should have paid attention to the fact it was priced lower than the nearby sister property the Holiday Inn - old hotel in need of an upgrade and not what I would normally associate with a Crown Plaza property. That said the hotel was ok in the main with a comfortable room and good staff. Free internet is always welcome and should be provided in all hotels. Two complaints 1/ Housekeeping knocked on my door twice before 9am (on a Saturday morning) and I found this most unwelcome and annoying. 2/ highway Traffic was easily audible in my room.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Newark Airport, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear 50nightsperyr,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are sorry for the shortfalls you have experienced during your stay. Your comments are highly valuable and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. Rest assured, your comments will be used for review and actions will be taken accordingly to ensure similar incidents could be avoided.

Anthony M
Fort Worth, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I debated between rating Poor vs. Average. This hotel desperately needs to be refurbished. Either that or it needs to change names. To me Crowne Plaza has always represented the high end of the Holiday Inn chain, but this location is the worst Holiday Inn experience I have had in years. While the basic sleep and shower were fine, everywhere I went in the hotel it really felt old and run down.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Newark Airport, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
Dear David B,

Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

This was my 4th visit to Crowne plaza near Newark airport. By far my best. Rooms are clean. Very quiet even with the hotel full. Breakfast was adequate. The staff couldn't be more helpful.!!
Anotonio, Stephanie and Thiagio made the difference.

Bob

Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

We stayed at this hotel twice now and each time we are pleased with the rooms and the customer service. The rooms are clean and I love the lighted make-up mirror in the bathroom. The beds are comfortable, too. We were given complementary WiFi, which for us geeks is a plus. Now for the minus, do not waste your money on the buffet breakfast. It is not worth it. They have the same breakfast items offered at other hotels for free. The first time we stayed we did the buffet and we will not do that again though we will still stay here the next time we are in the area.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Been to Crowne Plaza Newark Airport? Share your experiences!