“Great Value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Elizabeth
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Great Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Let me start by saying that I have read the previous reviews, and customer care responses and I can attest to what they promised, things HAVE improved.

If you get a special deal on the room, you can get it for well under $100 all-inc. I was expecting to "get what you paid for" but no, I was pleasantly surprised by the following:
1. Room was very nice, clean and spacious.
2. Bathroom was great, except for the curtain being a bit too narrow for the bathtub.
3. LCD TV was a lot larger than average hotel TVs.
4. 24hr coffeeshop in the lobby that's manned and has actually attractive baked goods!
5. FREE wifi that was actually fast and doesn't block VOIP apps like Viber.
6. Nice clean and presentable lobby that is actually manned.

My only criticisms were:
1. Parking is $12 (not bad I agree, but given the airport location, they can afford to give guests free parking).
2. The surrounding area is UGLY. You don't really want to look out the window (granted, they have little control over that).
3. The hotel exterior direly needs a facelift. You would never expect the quality of the lobby/rooms if judging by how the hotel looks from outside.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Carlos V, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Newark Airport, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are currently going through a multi-million dollar renovation to update our property, and the exterior of the building will also be getting a facelift once weather permits.

Our staff works diligently to always improve on the service experience of our guests. Our team appreciates your compliments and we hope to see you soon on your next trip.

As always you may contact me at cvalerio@menlohotels.com with any additional comments you may have.

Carlos Valerio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Free shuttle and very friendly staff make you feel welcome from the start. I suppose it's a typical airport hotel, not too much interesting nearby. But the room was clean, attractive, good amount of space. There's a coffee shop that's open 24 hours which is nice but the prices reflect that, and the most amazing (and stupid) thing is that there's a $5.00 minimum for credit card purchases. Really? If your credit card processor charges you too much for small purchases, find another processor--there are tons of them out there. And if that's not the problem, drop this policy! Travelers don't always have cash, especially if they're from overseas. What happened with me is that rather than buy something I didn't want to get the price up (which is maybe what they're after) I just bought nothing...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback. The credit card minimum purchase is pretty standard; however, you may charge the purchase to your room folio as an option.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza on February 16, 2013 before our flight to Bermuda. We decided on the hotel because of the park and fly next door. We were somewhat worried because of some of the reviews, however, our stay was lovely. The staff was wonderful, more than friendly and helpful. In fact the counter staff at the reservation desk and the young gentleman at the cafe were overly helpful and friendly. We also had dinner in the restaurant- delicious and again had wonderful service. Thank you for a nice experience- will be back if we need to fly out of Newark again.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for non-smoking and also see if there is a renovated room available.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback. Our staff works diligently to always improve on the service experience of our guests. We are a non-smoking hotel but some guests don’t always obey that policy and I apologize for that inconvenience. Our team appreciates your compliments and we hope to see you soon on your next trip.

Atlanta, Georgia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

November 27, 2013

Mr. Valerio,

Wrote this complaint over 3 months ago with no response from management or the IHG customer service.

I wanted to write to you regarding my recent experience at Crowne Plaze, Newark Liberty. When I arrived on 11/22/12, my room was pre-paid for 3 nights and I was ready to settle in. The young lady at the front desk displayed nothing more than sub-par service. I noticed something was wrong with her right away. Although she was not directly rude, she displayed non-friendly customer service. I advised that the bathroom on the first floor needed servicing and she did not respond at all as if she didn't really care. I asked if she was having a bad day. Her response was "I wasn't until I came to work". I was in total shock at her response and told her I could tell something was wrong. I then asked to speak to the manager and Mr. Manoharan appeared for which I voiced my concerns. He was apologetic but seem to make excuses for her. As a patron, it shouldn't really matter why she lacked a certain level of service.

Next, from the first night the remote to the television was not working properly. I didn't mind too much as we were headed back out. Furthermore, I thought it was not big deal...or at least at first. The next day turning on/off the tv and changing channels was such a task that I just turned off the tv. The following day, I had the same issues so I called to advise the front desk. As they were heading up, we were heading out so I canceled the service call. Upon my return later that day I requested a new remote to see if that would solve the problem. To my surprise, it did not.
As we were trying to flip through channels, I noticed a refrigerator on the floor. I was surprised because it had not been there before. Furthermore, I hung the "do not disturb" tag on the door. I called the front desk to inquire about it and was told that someone will look into it and get back to me. Mr. Manoharan called my room and stated that by hanging the door tag on the door, no one should have entered. I was extremely upset to know someone had entered my room without my permission and authority. I told me I was coming down to talk with him face to face because this type of violation was unacceptable. Additionally, I hung the tag on the outside of the door to entire stay as I did not want my room serviced. He assured me that he would look into the issue to see who entered the room as the day manager was not in and he did not have an immediate answer. He also offered me a meal coupon for restaurant but I advise that we had eaten there the day before and was not pleased at all with the food. I declined.

Again, not only was the service poor during my initial check-in, but the TV did not work properly and someone entered my room without my permission or request. This is unacceptable and I have no confidence in your hotel to provide quality, secure service. I felt like a second-class citizen and hope I never have to stay in your hotel again.
Mr. Manoharan advised me that he did not know why someone entered the room and left the refrigerator but he would look into it.

On a lighter note, the concierge, Keith was excellent. He was the only positive experience we had at your hotel.

Disappointed and Frustrated Guest,

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

My apologies for the delay in responding to your comments, as you may have noticed on Trip Advisor, I always do my best to respond to everyone’s feedback in a timely fashion, and my lack of response was certainly not intentional. I would love to discuss your concerns directly with you, please email me your contact info so we can discuss this further. My email address is cvalerio@menlohotels.com.

General Manger
Long Island, NY USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

The Crowne Plaza at Newark Airport was chosen on a recent stay for its location. We had to overnight to be ready to complete a job in the area the first thing in the morning. Our expectations are rather low for an airport hotel, so convenient parking, rapid courteous check-in, business center access, and a nicely designed room were appreciated. A room with two beds that is sufficiently spacious to include an easy chair with an ottoman in addition to a desk and chair is very nice. It is a bit strange though, that there was no light for reading by the easy chair, and alas there was no light at the desk. The bathroom was appointed with the usual ridiculous sagging curved shower rod, and a nice assortment of towels and toiletries, but there was no shampoo, and no tissues. On our way out in the morning the conveniently located 24 hour coffee shop had warm egg sandwiches ready for purchase from another great member of the Crowne Plaza employee staff. Keep your expectations low and enjoy service from the great staff in spite of apparent weak management support.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Carlos V, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Newark Airport, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.
We appreciate your business and hope you will return to us in the future. We are currently going through a multi-million dollar renovation to update our hotel. At this current stage we are replacing the accent walls and carpets in all of our guest rooms. Next step will be replacing the furniture and lighting in our guest rooms. The lighting will be better and there will be more accessible outlets in the rooms.
I have already forwarded your other comments to our Executive Housekeeper. Our staff strives to ensure that our guests enjoy a comfortable stay with exceptional service, and I will assure you that your feedback will help us improve our customer service experience.
Thank you again for bringing your concerns to my attention and you may contact me at cvalerio@menlohotels.com with any additional comments or concerns you may have.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I had to stay at Crowne plaza cause I missed my flight. It an expensive hotel, well all good hotels near newark airport are. The room was small, no problem checkin in or out. The hotel was old, although the TV was LCD or LED, the bathroom neat n clean. The good part about the hotel was the bar/restaurant opened till 3 in the morning. Apart from that It didn't looked like a 4 star hotel, more of a good quality motel. Anyhow will stay there again if have to or will try the holiday inn hotel.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We are in the process of renovating our hotel that will certainly bring it up to date. Accent walls are carpets are being replaced now. Furniture, lighting, bathrooms, and more outlets in the rooms will be the next step over the next 30 to 60 days. We are excited to complete this process and should be completed by early spring. Our staff strives to ensure that our guests enjoy a comfortable stay with exceptional service, and I will assure you that your feedback will help us improve our customer service experience.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I stayed one night here because of an airline issue. All-in-all, it was adequate and I have no major complaints.

The Goods
-Excellent customer service from the friendly staff
-Good restaurant
-They're working diligently to renovate the hotel
-Complementary Airport Shuttle

The "Others"
-They're working diligently to renovate the hotel, and the renovations are needed
-$5 minimum on Credit Card transactions
-Airport Shuttle only runs every 30 minutes

The Details:
The staff works very hard to make guests feel at home and to accommodate our needs, to me this makes all the difference in the world.

However, I was a bit frustrated by the $5 minimum on Credit Card transactions. Since my stay was paid by the airline, room charges were not allowed. In my particular case, I was arriving from overseas and didn't have any US Dollars on me. So when I wanted to buy a water bottle, I was made aware of the $5 minimum. Such a policy is understandable from a Mom & Pop Small Business, but this is a chain hotel - I find this to be rather annoying. (Needless to say they lost the sale on the water bottle.)

Bottom Line:
I'm on the fence with this hotel, but I can't say that I don't recommend it. Once they get over credit card surcharges and finish their renovations, I would offer an enthusiastic recommendation.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.

I apologize for the situation with the $5 credit card minimum. This is a common practice with most businesses due to the cost of transaction fees.

Carlos Valerio

Been to Crowne Plaza Newark Airport? Share your experiences!