“Pardon Our Dust...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 12 hotels in Elizabeth
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Pardon Our Dust...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I stayed one night here because of an airline issue. All-in-all, it was adequate and I have no major complaints.

The Goods
-Excellent customer service from the friendly staff
-Good restaurant
-They're working diligently to renovate the hotel
-Complementary Airport Shuttle

The "Others"
-They're working diligently to renovate the hotel, and the renovations are needed
-$5 minimum on Credit Card transactions
-Airport Shuttle only runs every 30 minutes

The Details:
The staff works very hard to make guests feel at home and to accommodate our needs, to me this makes all the difference in the world.

However, I was a bit frustrated by the $5 minimum on Credit Card transactions. Since my stay was paid by the airline, room charges were not allowed. In my particular case, I was arriving from overseas and didn't have any US Dollars on me. So when I wanted to buy a water bottle, I was made aware of the $5 minimum. Such a policy is understandable from a Mom & Pop Small Business, but this is a chain hotel - I find this to be rather annoying. (Needless to say they lost the sale on the water bottle.)

Bottom Line:
I'm on the fence with this hotel, but I can't say that I don't recommend it. Once they get over credit card surcharges and finish their renovations, I would offer an enthusiastic recommendation.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Carlos V, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Newark Airport, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.

I apologize for the situation with the $5 credit card minimum. This is a common practice with most businesses due to the cost of transaction fees.

210 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I checked in around 10pm (platinum member) and the front desk clerk was both friendly & helpful I got into my room and had a report to work on, so I just set up at the desk. Around midnight I was bone tired from the long day and unpacked. I closed the shade and found it filthy dirty with tears in it. Next I took my stuff into the bathroom to take a shower and was just appalled at the condition! There was a big hole in the shower wall with bare wood showing where a shelf used to be. The curtain rod was so loose that the curtain just hung in the middle on the few hooks left. The sink was full of cracks. The towels were frayed. The light switch plate was broken and the switch was installed upside down. Paint was peeling off the trim work. All of this for $190 a night... a bargain! I was just too damn tired to do anything about it for now, so I took my shower with water spraying all over the floor. I made a list of the defects and presented to the manager the next morning. His reply: We will be undergoing renovations soon so please come back afterwards. Say what??? He was unsympathetic, unemotional and general a poor manager. He asked ME what I wanted him to do. I wanted the room comped but all I got was 1,000 points. And they call this the hospitality business. He doesn't even qualify to be working at McDonald's! Bottom line: Avoid this dump. Plus, you have to drive out of your way to get into the place. Furthermore, all they had in their cafe to eat was muffins and junk food. A gas station has better food.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Newark Airport, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Outbackwack,

Thank you for being a Priority Club Rewards Platinum member and for leaving us a feedback. Please accept our deepest apologies for the issues you had encountered during your stay. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We stayed in a room with 2 double beds for 1 night.

Pros
-Friendly staff, very helpful with directions
-Free shuttle to Airport every 30mins
-Close to Newark Airport

Cons
- We had a cockroach in our bathroom. Obviously there would have been more that we didn't see. The hotel needs to deal with this problem ASAP.
- Not near any restaurants or grocery stores
- A lot if the power points need to new fittings as the are old and damaged and constantly turn appliances on and off
- No Fridge (Seems to be the America way though)

I wouldn't stay here again just because of the pest problem.

• Stayed January 2013
Carlos V, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Newark Airport, responded to this review, February 4, 2013

Thank you so much for your feedback.
First and foremost please accept our apologies for the issues encountered during your recent stay with us. We are going through a multi-million dollar renovation to our property which will be completed by this spring. Every room will be getting a refrigerator as well as making the outlet plugs more accessible.

In regards to your other concerns, I have already forwarded your comments to our Executive Housekeeper and I assure you that the hotel does not have a pest problem. We work with a reputable pest control company who does a great job at addressing any pest complaints, and I will follow through on this isolated incident to verify that they have already taken care of it as well.

Our staff strives to ensure that our guests enjoy a comfortable stay with exceptional service, and I will assure you that your feedback will help us improve our customer service experience.

Thank you again for bringing your concerns to my attention and you may contact me at cvalerio@menlohotels.com with any additional comments or concerns you may have.

Leipzig, Sachsen, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

In New York you have to decide what you need and what you want. We went there during the x-mas days and stayed 3 days in the Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, which is really very good, and changed to the Crowne Plaza Newark Airport, because we had to leave the next day to get our plain. However the Crowne Plaza Newark Airport is a good choice if you're searching a hotel near the airport, with a real good service, clean rooms and punctual shuttle service! In the morning of our date of departure we went to the nearby outlet Jersey Gardens. Unfortunetely our shuttle service didn't come to pick us up again after shopping, so we had to take a taxi. But I think it was because we were 5 minutes to late at the exit...Nevertheless we got our plain :)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback. Our staff works diligently to always improve on the service experience of our guests. I apologize our shuttle didn’t pick you up from the Jersey Gardens Mall. I will speak with our concierge so future issues like that will be avoided. Our team appreciates your compliments and we hope to see you soon on your next trip.

As always you may contact me at cvalerio@menlohotels.com with any additional comments you may have.

Brookline, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

They took great care of us -- upgraded just for asking. We found them on stay 123 at a bargain rate, and they gave us an upgrade because I have IHG gold...it was great! The smaller rooms were nicer at first, the we saw an older but huge room, point is they kept showing us rooms until we found one that suited us...it was sublime in a world that treats you like a number, especially coming off of a flight, being scraped down,x-rayed ...borderline brutality, coming home to them made it better. We stayed before our flight, and again the night we came back late, so we slept over again...so nice! Highly recommend the place, safe parking on their own lot, shuttle to EWR terminal, and the staff cant be beat..We're going on a cruise in March and we'll cab it to the pier, but my car will be waiting for me..no headache!

Room Tip: Speak up..ask and ye shall receive
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Carlos V, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Newark Airport, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback. We appreciate your loyalty as an IHG Gold Member. Our staff works diligently to always improve on the service experience of our guests. Our team appreciates your compliments and we hope to see you soon on your next trip.

Margate, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

efficient friendly check-in, happy chatty concierge, flexible shuttle - they went out of their way to offer a pick-up from newark penn station as we were arriving by train from philadelphia. however the hotel was in the middle of an elevator upgrade and only one of the four was in service, and with an attendant 24/7!!!! must be one of the worst jobs in the whole world. - from the ground floor there wasn't a problem but from other floors it was necessary to call the front desk from the house phone, and they called the lift operator on a walkie-talkie - fine at midnight but not when busy at 8am when it was chaotic. bar great with daily beer special which was available all the time the bar was open, and, if it was busy they extended hours - really great! buffet breakfast ok but nothing special.it will be very nice when the elevator upgrade is finished

Room Tip: normally higher the better but, when we visited, the lower the better as you could walk to/from the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Carlos V, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Newark Airport, responded to this review, January 24, 2013

Thank you so much for your feedback.
First and foremost please accept our apologies for the issues encountered during your stay with us.

The elevators have been upgraded and back to normal since mid-November, so I’m assuming your stay took place prior to that time. We appreciate your patience as it certainly created some inconvenience.

Thank you for your compliments about our hotel and shuttle service. We strive to provide exceptional service to all of our guests, and I will assure you that your feedback will help us improve our customer service experience.

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We had a one-night stay when United oversold a flight. The bus ride over from Newark Airport was quick. Our room was nothing special - dated decor, an older bed, but otherwise adequate. The highlight of our stay was the $10 buffet breakfast! Also, complimentary hot chocolate in the lobby!
This property has one of those commercial business centers. You need to swipe a credit card in order to use it. Not impressed, and we did not try.
Also tried the exercise area. There was very little by way of free weights, so I left.
I asked about free parking for a subsequent visit. They did not provide any, and the area is pretty dodgy, so I think I will look for something which is gated and has 24-hour supervision.

Room Tip: - ask for an updated (renovated) room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your feedback.
Our guestrooms are currently going through a multi-million dollar renovation, and are scheduled for completion this April. Our fitness center includes a full weight rack of free weights, but it is possible that they were being used by other guests during the time you went in to work out. We take our security and guest safety as a top priority, and therefore our property is indeed gated with a 24hr parking gate attendant and full time security officers who monitor our entrance and parking lot. I would like to hear directly from you so that we may clarify your experience in these areas you’ve mentioned.

Carlos Valerio

Been to Crowne Plaza Newark Airport? Share your experiences!