“They say they want to go the extra mile, but....” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Elizabeth
Iowa City, Iowa
“They say they want to go the extra mile, but....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I understand what the Extended Stay America is all about--giving you a comfortable, almost apartment-like experience when you need to be some where for weeks if not months, but perhaps you should avoid THIS Stay America until it gets its act together.

We stayed for two nights in order to celebrate New Year's Eve in Times Square. By the end of the stay, the following things had occurred:

The second night at 2:00 a.m., the fire alarm went off, causing the fire department to come (and for us to get up and have to go outside). This would be understandable, except that some of the guests who had stayed longer indicated that this was not a rare occurrence. Apparently, the dryers sometimes made the alarm go off.

Also, the second of two nights (after coming in from NYE), or key cards for our rooms and their parking lot had to be re-keyed for some reason, and inconvenience that was unwelcome.

While you don't get daily maid service, you ARE supposed to be able to turn in your towels and get fresh ones. When I attempted to do this, I was informed that they really didn't have clean wash clothes or hand towels available.

The elevators work intermittently. The continental breakfast leaves something to be desired (or a lot to be desired, when after they woke everyone up that early morning, they still removed the breakfast exactly on time, rather than keeping it going longer in order to allow those who tried to catch up on sleep to still get breakfast).

The free internet did work, which is how I am writing this, but when you get access they try to get you to pay for better service.

All in all, a disappointing experience. And surely NOT going the extra mile.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Hotel M, Manager at Extended Stay America - Elizabeth - Newark Airport, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am sorry to hear that your stay was a disappointing experience during New Year's Eve. I can assure you the fire alarm incidents are not common at our hotel . I am also really sorry that we were not able to provide you with the towels you requested . This situation has already been rectified, and we will make sure it does not happen again in the future. Thank you again for providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at ewk@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Brooklyn, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

this was my first visit to Extended stay America and i was very pleased . this is a great hotel with a great staff - the front desk staff is amazing very helpful in every way . i had a lot of questions and request for one staff member (corey) , who was all ways edger to help. i would definitely refer my friends and family stay here when they travel . a big heart felt thank you to corey and the rest of the ESA staff member's for making my family and i fell at home

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm so pleased to hear that we were able to make your stay comfortable and in particular our Guest Service Representative, Corey. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Woodbury, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

The hotel has treated me in a respectful and professional manner, in the 101 days, of my stay, here. I recieved all discounts, allowed by their company's policies, was in a room quickly, and easily. Large sturdy carts were available, and very helpful, in my unloading of an exceptional amount of luggage and equipment.
The desk clerks were highly professional, and wore a personal, friendliness, in their attitudes.
One in particular, stands out, in my mind ( a young lady, named Shavone Queen ). She has been overly helpful, above and beyond; with assistance with my problems, with my computer; and, other normal type, guest's needs. On 2 occasions, when the linen replacwements were not available, from the dryers yet, she went to other rooms, not presently occupied, to borrow what I needed. The young lady has been an exceptional comfort, to my need for extra conveniences, such as delivering mail to my room , during the day, while I was at work ( she's aware, that I work long hours, and am too tired, to bother with asking, some times).
Housekeeping, also, has been exceptional ( including, working around my night shift schedule, for, 5 weeks. My daytime sleep was not interrupted. But, the room got tended-to.
One of the male clerks ( Jalal ) spent about 1 1/2 hours, on one occasion, and a 1/4 hour, on another, assisting me with my scrambled, computer problems( and, solved the problems ), by discussing the details with the Best Buy, GEEK SQUAD, for me. ( I would not have understood their lingo. ).
One other male clerk, ( I think his name is corey ) also assited, on other occations.
( now; you know why I say, they are over-and-above-board. ). Alsio; the security, and privacy in my room,was respected, by all, here. ( I never had reason, to suspect any items missing, etc., during my stay, here. ).
Also; on one occasion, I left a $10.oo tip, for housekeepiong, and it was still on the counter, when I reurned; but, the room was immaculate.

Room Tip: My description, above, is for my 1 room. I'm not familiar, with others. My rating on restaur...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hotel M, Manager at Extended Stay America - Elizabeth - Newark Airport, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm thrilled that our team members Shavone , Corey and Jalal were able to exceed your expectations and make your stay comfortable . One of the greatest rewards of our job is receiving encouraging feedback such as yours. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Springfield, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

This was my first time at the Extended Stay America and I was very pleased. This is a great hotel with great staff - they had things that I forgot when I needed them and were very helpful in every way. Although I had a lot of questions for one staff member (Shavone), she and everyone was very courteous and helpful....thanks!

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side give a nice look for airplane landing and taking off, but regardless of wher...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Hotel M, Manager at Extended Stay America - Elizabeth - Newark Airport, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and that our Staff Member, Shavone, was so helpful in assisting you.Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope to see you again soon.
Ashburn, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel for 3 nights . Room was clean and comfortable . We loved being right across from the Mall . Staff was kind and helpful ,they let us store our luggage for the whole day while we were out shopping . We will come back and stay here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotel M, Manager at Extended Stay America - Elizabeth - Newark Airport, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Porto Alegre, RS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

We spent 4 nights at the hotel and we had a great experience at this Extended Stay.
Room: really big, great bed, great shower, e everything so clean. If you stay less than 7 nights, you don't have housekeeping, but we did not have problems with that. There is a good kitchen, but almost anything of kitchen stuff (just a pair of knives, spons, plates, forks, cups and some pans). I think this is my only complaining about the room, it is impossible to cook with only these. There is also a coffee maker and a toast. Great wi-fi speed, there is the possibility to do an upgrade in the speed, but you will have to pay for it. We did not pay, and everything was ok for our needs.
Breakfast: really poor... Just coffee, muffins, cereal bars and apples. Apples were not fresh on the first days.
Staff: great staff,they helped us with directions to some places we needed and called us to remember the check out time.
Location: it is near Newark airport, and thanks God, it is not noisy! The hotel is in front of Jersey Gardens Mall (great shopping!!) and it is easy to get I-95 from the hotel, it is near too. Supermarket is not close, I think the nearest is at 3 miles distance.
We booked online, and the bad thing about this is that the website just gives you the cost for the room and does not specify the rates and taxes that will aply during the stay. We discovered these values just in check in time.
Despite the negative topics I mentioned, I would stay there again: great location and comfortable room.

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm glad that we were able to make your stay comfortable, though I am sorry that you did not enjoy our "Grab & Go" breakfast. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. I am happy to read that we can look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at this hotel on my way to Port Bayonne for a cruise. I was impressed with the cleanliness, and everything was new and modern. The staff that worked there were very friendly and helpful and it felt like a safe environment. There is not much to see or do around there, in an industrial/airport area, but suited my purpose well. It does include a rather meagre breakfast, so don't let that be your deciding factor. (Instant oatmeal and coffee). There is a kitchenette in the room, so good if you want to eat in. And the price was right!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
TomW771, Manager at Extended Stay America - Elizabeth - Newark Airport, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm glad that you had a comfortable stay, and I thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Been to Extended Stay America - Elizabeth - Newark Airport? Share your experiences!