“old 4* hotel with renovated rooms, pool and Sauna, free shuttle!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel

You added Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel to your Saves list
Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1000 Spring Street, Elizabeth, NJ 07201 (Formerly Doubletree Hotel Newark Airport)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Park & Fly
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Elizabeth
GreenLeadersSilver level
Ulm, Germany
“old 4* hotel with renovated rooms, pool and Sauna, free shuttle!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

Usually you know what you can expect bidding for 3,5* hotels on priceline: older 4* hotels which would need some refurbishment. Also this example of a 3,5* hotel would need some renovations: new carpets in the corridors and elevators would help to loose that impression. (rooms remodeled recently: FlatTV, bathroom, beds). A relict of the begiinings of this hotel is the shower next to the sauna.....

The pool and especially the sauna is a nice addition to this airport hotel. remember that there are no shops or restaurants around!

I got this hotel for winning bid $50 and I expected nothing exceptional for that deal. Recommmend for the priceline daels

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

I spent three months at this hotel working with a client during the week and occasionally on weekends.

I found that its convenient location to Newark Airport and the local train system made it an ideal location for conducting business in New York, Newark, and Northern New Jersey.

The staff was enormously helpful in all aspects and catered to my every need. The executive lounge was cozy and a good place to meet people.

The only downside is that eating options are limited unless you have a car or are willing to taxi out.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2010

This hotel is beautifully appointed and very clean. We loved the Aveda products as well. It is a safe hotel - you must have a room keycard in order to use the elevators. As we were checking in - there were pilots checking in also, so I figured it was the place to be if the pilots were staying there! The beds were comfy and even though we were checking in at midnight - the staff was very pleasant! My only complaint is it was so difficult to navigate the roads in Newark. It took us an hour of driving around to finally find the hotel - and we had a GPS! The roads in Newark are terrible! If you are going to be staying at this hotel, be sure you have very accurate directions from the hotel prior to leaving the airport or maybe make arrangements to follow the airport shuttle to the hotel. Newark is not a place you want to get lost late at night. I purchased this hotel on Priceline.com with the name your own price option and I was more than pleased with the hotel and the price I paid!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Ridgefield, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2010

Stayed here with my wife and kids before a morning flight due to an approaching snowstorm. Everything about this hotel was VERY nice: The staff, the restaurant, the room, the shuttle bus and the free hot chocolate in the lobby. We left our car there for a week and the return shuttle was also hassle free and pleasant. No complaints.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Bethesda, MD
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2010

I brought bed bed bugs home with me from this hotel. It was the only hotel I was in for weeks and they bit me all over. I contacted the hotel directly and they responded very quickly and turned me over to corporate. Corporate contacted me to let me know Ecolab would be performing an inspection. I then was told that the Ecolab report came back and it showed that there were no bed bugs in the room. I asked them to send me a copy of the report. They said they could not as it had proprietary information on it. I asked them to white out the proprietary information as all I want to see are the results. This request was also denied and they closed the case. This is not the only report of bed bugs at this hotel. Beware.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
renaissance22, General Manager at Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2010
Thank you for making me aware of this issue by posting this review and I'd like to also thank you for staying with us. Bed bugs are by far a hotels' worst enemy and we have systems in place to be sure that we don't get them. That being said, I am not completely familiar with the details of your incident since reviews posted here on TripAdvisor are anonymous and I certainly want to do everything I can to make sure the systems we have in place are working. I understand how terrible this experience must have been for you. Please call me 908-436-4600 so we can discuss the situation in further detail - Dave Sharkey, General Manager
Ann Arbor, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2010

I stayed here on 12/22 – 26 when my daughter had a performance at New York City since the hotel price inside the city was crazy at the dates. I found this place (3½ stars) through Priceline.com, and paid $55 per night. I would say that the hotel is excellent considering the price that I paid through Priceline: Clean everywhere, friendly front desk, spacious room, secure (inside), and very convenient if customers are coming through Newark Airport. They have own parking lot monitored (by an actual person) 24 hours, free shuttle bus from/to the Airport, swimming pool, exercise room, attached bar/restaurant, room services (with extra money), and etc. And a train station (Newark Airport) from/to NY City and through NJ is just about 5 minutes away by driving.

However, this hotel has its own disadvantages as all others do. If you are not much concerned about (or you can find better ways to cope with) the following things, there should not be a better place to stay for your NY City trip than this.

1. The biggest con is that it is a pricy location for public transportation. They gave a cheat sheet for how to get to NY cheaply, but it seemed not quite easy to follow and/actually do try (especially during cold winter days).

2. Train is the best public The Newark Airport station of NJ Transit Lines (nearest to the hotel) to NY Penn Station is $15.00 for an adult one-way! If you have some ways to park cheaply near Newark Penn Station (next station to Newark Airport), you should take train at this station (about 10 – 15 minutes driving); the fare from Newark Penn to NY Penn is merely $4.00, and it will be $1.75 if you take “Path” instead of “Transit” train (I still do not understand why one station difference is so expensive for train!). I parked at an expensive place ($18.00 per 12 hours) right beside the station, but you can find a lot of cheaper places just a couple of blocks away. But, for this, you have to judge your safety when you pick up your car at night from NY City.

3. Some hidden fees from the hotel: Separate daily parking fee: $14 per night; Internet not used in the lobby: $12.95/day.

4. My personal bad experience: Cleaning ladies were too hasty to clean rooms so that they frequently knock my room door if I will go out or leave soon. One time, they even open my door without my consent!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2009

We stayed at the hotel for 6 nights on a tour. They have a shuttel to Newark AP and from there there is a bus srevice to Manhetten every 30 minutes cost 15 $.
The rooms are very clean the beds are comfrtable and thr blankets are outstanding. I would recomend it for beeing close to Newark at a reasonable price

• Stayed December 2009

Been to Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!