“great food & atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Brazilian
Good for: Families with children
Good for: Families with children
Elizabeth, New Jersey
“great food & atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

this is a place for great Portuguese food - great service - great proces. You won't go wrong eating in either the dining room or the bar side. Sangria was great too. Only down side is small parking lot - and street parking can be hard to come by sometimes. As a woman walking alone to my car I was not totally comfortable late in evening.

• Visited January 2013

Cornelius, North Carolina
“Authentic & Consistent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I am first generation Portuguese born in Newark, and I can say with certainty that this is the BEST Portuguese restaurant in the area - The whole experience.. Food, Service and Ambiance. Everytime we come into Elizabeth to visit my father, we take him out to this restaurant for a nice meal. The house red wine and Sangria are both very good. On our visit this past week, we enjoyed calamari, portuguese style, which had a vinegar based sauce for dipping. I enjoyed a traditional codfish dish, Bacalhau à Brás, consisting of potatoes, onions, and eggs. Lastly, the prices are very reasonable. For three people, with appetizer, wine and sangria, entrees and espresso, including tax (not gratuity), the total bill was $115.

• Visited December 2012
New Jersey
“jjeffers246 review is bogus!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

This exact same review was also written about this restaurant on 2 other sites by this same poster.

It is obviously a competitor trying to sabotage another business. In all seriousness - how many visitors to a restaurant would take the time to go to 3 different restaurant review sites to post the exact same bad review about finding bugs in their food?

Visited June 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

Had a wonderful business lunch here in late September 2010. This is an old school place but the food is up to date. Large portions, well-served, and a very friendly wait staff.

Union
“Best Portuguese/Brazilian (including Newark)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2008

First off, you should know that my wife is half-Portuguese (half-Colombian) and my father in-law is 110% Portuguese, so we hit *a lot* of Portuguese restaurants. We found this gem thanks to a commercial that my father in-law saw on his Portuguese channels on the Dish Network. Anyhow, we went me a birthday dinner and were blown away by the food, service, and attention to detail (in that order). The servers were extremely friendly and humorous, and just a pleasure to talk to. Being the only non-Portuguese speaking member of our party, he made sure I understood all of the little jokes/conversation going on.

They do a true rodizio there which is superb. I am not a big meat guy, so I opted for one of the special Chicken in a "Shrimp Sauce" (think chicken & baby shrimp in a white wine garlic sauce. Delicious! They have a small little salad bar that you can hit before your meal arrives. Everything is fantastic from the bread, to the salads, appetizers, entrees, etc. The sangria is on of the best I have had (besides maybe Iberia's which makes a mean sangria). I cannot comment on desserts since we tend to opt-out of those.

I highly recommend this place to anyone. In fact, I keep their cards in my wallet and hand them out to friends on occasion. Yes, its *that* good.