“Not great” 2 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Liverpool, New York
“Not great”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Not what you would expect from a Holiday Inn Express. The first night we turned down the sheets and there were candy wrappers in the bed. Obviously they didn't change the linens. I had to make the beds with new sheets at midnight. Room wasn't vacuumed. They are renovating but it still wasn't as clean as it could be. The elevator was filthy. They wouldn't let us use the pool because they said the chemicals weren't balanced. Location was great but the hotel around the corner was much nicer and cleaner for the same price.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
COORDINATOR78, Manager at Holiday Inn Express West Atlantic City, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
I would like to apologize for the room services. I am quite suprised at the candy wrapper situation, we hold ourselves to much a higher standard, and I am so sorry that happened. We have talked with our housekeeping staff regarding this. As for the pool, we had the pool closed due to the weather. We had off and on storms that entire day. Our chemicals have been fine all season. Not only do we check our chemicals three times a day, but we also have an outside company check our chemicals on a weekly basis. Unfortunately, if ever there is a threat of a storm we have to close our pool, this is for everyone's safety. We hope you will be able to visit us again when the sun is out and enjoy our relaxing pool.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Highland, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 2 night stay. Our room was clean, quiet, and comfortable. Just what we expected for a quick getaway near ac and brigantine. They were currently remodeling but it didn't inconvenience us or interrupt our visit. Breakfast was fine but we suggest that it go until at least 10 am. The staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We love to hear your comments and suggestions. We are so glad you were able to relax and enjoy your time. Our breakfast hours during the weekdays are 6:30-9:30am (we get a lot of corporate travelers who are normally out by 8am), but on the weekends we do extend our breakfast until 10am. We have a lot of leisure travelers over the weekends and we know it feels great to sleep in (especially in our new pillow top mattresses!)

We hope you come back again soon.
Lewiston, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for two years in a row during our annual trip to Atlantic City. We got what we consider to be a great rate for a summer Saturday ($109 total including taxes) within a 10 minute drive to the casinos. This also included a complementary hot breakfast for the four us - a nice bonus. This year we had a renovated room. The updates were apparent, with fresh paint, updated furniture, and a flat-panel TV. The rooms also include a refrigerator. The rooms are smaller in size, including the bathroom, but the entire room was clean. Check-in was smooth and the staff was very friendly. Our floor included laundry facilities and a microwave in the vending area, which we did not use, but could be useful features for people who stay longer. The FREE breakfast had a nice variety of coffee, juices, fruits, pastries, scrambled eggs, sausage, pancakes, cereal, yogurt, etc. The only downside is the safe in our room was locked when we got there, and no maintenance personnel available for 1.5 hours to come fix it, so we headed to town carrying all of our money on us. While judging our stays in various hotels, we take into consideration the quality of our stay for the price we pay. This place has met, if not exceeded, our expectations for two years in a row, and we likely will stay again next year.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to send in a review. We love having our guests come back year after year. I am sorry to hear about your safe. Since your comments, I have made sure each manager is trained to fix the safes in the rooms when this happens. Thank you for helping us improve our services and we look forward to seeing you again next year.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Our room was one of the renovated ones - so fresh that it still stinks of paint. The workmanship is shoddy and even renovated the rooms do not look good - there is no attention to detail in the finishing.

Breakfast is not up to scratch.

There was no maid service while we were here, meaning no replacement towels and no making up of beds.

All round, very poor. Cannot recommend

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
COORDINATOR78, Manager at Holiday Inn Express West Atlantic City, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your stay. Our renovated rooms are beautiful! Everything is brand new from the walls to the drapes. I am very surprised you didn't like them. I do apologize for the new paint smell. I understand it can be a bit overwhelming and since we are still in the middle of our renovation everything is still quite fresh. Our breakfast includes eggs, bacon and sausage, biscuits and gravy, our Holiday Inn famous Cinnamon buns, fresh baked daily Danish, donuts, bagels and muffins. We have the new pancake machine, and offer a variety of other breads, and cereals. Not to mention the fresh fruit, yogurt and fresh brewed coffee. Is there something else you would prefer on the buffet? Suggestions are always helpful, as we continue to strive to bring our guests everything they desire during their get-a-way.
philly
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This hotel (as of summer 2013) is undergoing renovation, and the management will be quick to assure you that once it completed it would be great. Not certain what's to come, but right now for the price paid (upwards of $150) the rooms are uncomfortable, the wifi not working properly (the staff knew and could not help), and the breakfast poor.

• Stayed July 2013
COORDINATOR78, Manager at Holiday Inn Express West Atlantic City, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are excited about our renovations and we understand our property has some upgrading to be done. We were having some wifi issues and I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you during your stay. I hope you were able to use our business center which is hard wired so connection is never an issue. During the time it was down, we did have a call in to the tech for repair. We are happy to say, that as of yesterday morning, the wifi issues have been resolved. We normally get rave reviews about our breakfast since it is so much more than the standard buffet. With Eggs, Bacon, Sausage, Biscuits & Gravy, the new Pankcake machine, Fresh (delivered each morning) Donuts, Bagels & Danish, and of course our Famous Warm Cinnamon Rolls, it's normally a crowd pleaser. I am sorry if we missed something you would have preferred. We are looking forward to the renovation to be complete and hope you will come back and see us again soon.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here over the Fourth of July holiday, 2013. It is not in a nice area (3.5% sales tax initiative), but the area seems safe. The hotel was very clean; the breakfast was good. However, unfortunately the whole time I was there I was miserable with asthma and allergies. On the first floor, which reeks of mold and possible water damage, I was wheezing and unable to breathe. That night I was moved to the second floor at my request. Since it was the only room available (and was handicap equipped, which is fine by me), the clerk wanted to check and see if it was renovated. This was about 5 am on July 4. I waited for him to do so, but he was unable. I told him to just give me the keys because I couldn't breathe and he ran them over to me. The next room was so much better but it still smelled a little moldy, and my allergies and asthma and wheezing were better, but I was still really uncomfortable. I took my meds and dealt with it. I hated staying in there more than a few hours because of the smell. I think this hotel should be inspected. Maybe it was a victim of Hurricane Sandy. They are doing construction, and maybe should not have guests at that time. I felt the hotel was a health hazard and loved the time I did not have to be in the room so I could start breathing again. Also, the entry I used smelled like smoke. The hotel should move the smokers away from the door - put them in a smoking area that will not expose people to the aftermath smell of smoking. The entry also required me to be exposed to the strong musty unpleasant smell of the first floor when I had to catch the elevator.

• Stayed July 2013
COORDINATOR78, Manager at Holiday Inn Express West Atlantic City, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write in. We apologize for the issues you had with the construction while you were in town. We are working very hard to bring our older property into the new age, and look forward to the new room smell. However, with the renovation comes a paint smell, so the mix of construction and paint smell does have an affect on the property. We are trying to keep our construction sectioned off so no one is directly affected. I apologize the smells are so strong. As a lodging business we are inspected on a regular basis and I assure you we passed on all accounts. Our guests' health and satisfaction is of top priority and we hope you will come back and see the finished product soon.
Kansas City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

The first thing we noticed when we walked into the room was the stench. It smelled like chlorine and mildew mixed together. My husband walked into the bath and discovered we had been placed in a handicap room. The staff upon check in failed to tell us this. The shower was a walk in (no tub). The bench had not been folded back up to the wall. The shower head was on a height adjustable track. It would not stay up, so one had to shower while holding the shower head up.

The next morning when I complained, the manger said not to tell him but to complain to Expedia. I told him that Expedia is not responsible for maintenance that the hotel is. Not only that, I don't why he said Expedia, I booked through Priceline.

Miserable experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
I am so sorry for the inconviences you had during your stay. I would like to opportunity to speak with you about your stay personally, if you would please call the hotel. When booking through an internet site, while they do save you money and we love our internet partners, most of them book our standard room without a guaranteed room type, meaning whatever room we have when you arrive is what you are put into. Since handicap rooms are not allowed to be used unless requested by the guest or as a last sell, I am assuming this was a time when we were sold out and had no other room type. However, our agents should have advised you of this prior to giving you the keys. I will speak with our agents about this and I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. I have also sent our engineering team out to ensure the bathroom is fixed properly.

Been to Holiday Inn Express West Atlantic City? Share your experiences!