“Very positive experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Edison
Houston
“Very positive experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

I stayed in this hotel during a weekend where I was traveling to a couple of different racetracks. It was very convenient for a Friday trip to Monmouth Park and a Saturday excursion to Belmont Park.

The weekend rate was outstanding, with breakfast included, and the location right off the NJ Turnpike was ideal. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Turkish first
Woodbridge, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

This was a great hotel for getting work done. I was surprised to see that my room with a King size bed had a sitting area which made me feel more comfrotable not having to sit on my bed to watch television. The wireless internet was complimentary and the work area in the room was spacious and equipped with an ergonomic chair. Room service was good and breakfast the next day could not have been more appeasing. I will definitely return.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
bangalore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

This is really a great hotel to stay-in with nice gym and nice indoor swimming pool.

• Liked — good swimming pool and great indian restuarants nearby
  • Disliked — there room access card gets disabled as soon as it comes close to mobile or curreny coins and every time you need to go to front desk and tell them to enable the room access card.
  • Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

My significant other and I had an incredible week in the hotel. The staff were wonderful, it was beautifully located and convenient to anything we needed. Five minutes to the train for New York, twenty minutes to Newark Airport, food and gas in every direction.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Belleville, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2009

I lived in Manhattan for 12 years 'til moving to Michigan due to husband's work in 2006. My husband lived in Middlesex County NJ (Linden/Newark/Elizabeth) his entire life 'til 2004. We have some family & friends in the area; so we decided to do a last minute trip to NJ for Thanksgiving. This was our 3rd stay at this hotel in the past 18 months or so because we usually like the place. We got a great $$$$$ deal on their website with a AAA discount and all; however after this stay, we will NOT be staying at this Courtyard Marriott again.

My husband and I are NOT picky people, so this Courtyard has always been GREAT for us when visiting the area...usually surpasses our expectations for a budget-type business travel hotel. What has changed???

Pros:
1) Check in & check out were smooth, fast, friendly, easy, efficient. Front desk helpful, not overly friendly but fine. No billing woes or problems;
2) Cleanliness of the hotel was pretty good but not as good as past stays. Shower & bathroom area very clean. Toiletries every day, ample towels, efficient service. Lobby area, common areas, hallways, elevator...not so clean. Some minor debris, dust, lots of scuff marks, wear 'n tear showing...no biggie;
3) Location GREAT...right off of Rte 287, Woodbridge Ave, Amboy Ave. GREAT diner (has changed hands a kazillion times) within walking distance across the street;
4) Parking area really well lit and very safe;
5) HUGE flat screen LG television (made husband happy...I could care less).

Cons:
1) Attention to little details, even BASIC ones was definitely missing. For example...small thing but really annoying...our bed skirt was all rolled & jammed under our mattress from day one (between mattress and box spring)...no skirt on one side, some skirt on another side, lots of skirt (I tripped on it throughout entire stay) on another side. Bed skirt all rolled/stuck/jammed under bed. If I was in better health, ordinarily, I WOULD HAVE FIXED IT MYSELF. This never got addressed. Consequently, our mattress pad and bed sheets didn't fit properly on the mattress, so they constantly slipped off the minute we got on the bed (and during our sleep every night). Bed just couldn't be made properly due to bed skirt. I WOKE UP ON OUR 2ND NIGHT WITH COLOSSAL BACK/NECK PAIN THAT HAS NOT YET SUBSIDED due to sleeping on rolled sheets every night...not good...mattress has seen better days, too;
2) Husband and I VERY VERY VERY CAREFULLY ate a piece of cake on the end of the bed Thanksgiving Night...found crumbs on the carpet and in the bed for the rest of our stay (??????) don't even want to figure that one out;
3) Heating/AC system not great...one of these combo forced air registers...loud, a bit smelly...pushed out tons of COLD air before receiving any hot air at night. Just plain uncomfortable. We couldn't seem to get it right;
3) On our final day, my husband cut his foot on on a shard of glass that was stuck in our carpet...lots of bleeding from his foot...not our glass. I don't think our room was vacuumed very well;
4) MOST DISTURBING!!!!! On our final day, husband and I returned at 12:00 midnight from a visit to find our door propped open with a towel. I got PETRIFIED. Appeared that a maid may have left the door ajar while cleaning and never closed the door...not good. Fortunately, we had ZERO valuables with us and nothing was stolen from our room. WE DIDN"T REPORT IT...WHAT'S THE POINT??? Didn't want to complain;
5) Pool area very very very small, over run with one or two families...no fun...couldn't use it at all...no room;
6) There's a partial bar in the lobby (off to one side) but no one is ever there. I think it is just there to mix drinks for folks who use the eating area (????) never saw anyone eating, either.

Overall, this experience was just not a good one. There are so many hotels in the area in a comparable price range, (Raritan Center, Middlesex Ave, Woodbride, Metuchen, Edison, etc) we will not be staying here ever again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Atlanta GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

While the staff was helpful and caring, the pictures and descriptions which appeared on the web were quite deceiving. The exterior shots must have been stock shots as they looked nothing like the hotel. There were no directional signs to the hotel from the turnpike and I spent over an hour trying to locate it.

While the ads touted the room service and on site bar, both are closed on weekends, leaving the out of town traveler to fend for themselves.

Thankfully, the room was comfortable and the staff caring and attentive.

Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
US
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2009

This hotel was not located near my needed city, but was recommended to use instead of hotels closer... And I could see why! This hotel was clean, friendly, close to EWR, had good food, free parking, super kind staff. The rooms were large with good workspace for business travelers. The lobby was clean and well-maintained. My only complaint would be that it is difficult to access from the highway.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Edison/Woodbridge? Share your experiences!