“Good value for the price - given it's outside NYC” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Edgewater
Lansdowne, Virginia
“Good value for the price - given it's outside NYC”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

This hotel was renovated in 2013 after it was flooded by Hurricane Sandy. The staff was nice, the rooms were nice - the rest of the building is renovated as well, but it's a weird configuration and there is no elevator. The location is good as the bus to NYC is across the street. Many rooms have beautiful views of the Hudson River, NYC, St. John the Divine church and Grant's tomb. But there is also a abandoned ferry boat that has been there for 20 years, and must be full of rats. There is a lot of shopping and restaurants all around, so if you need to pick up something - that is easy enough. All in all, it is a good value and good budget option but it felt strange and I think I'll go somewhere else next time.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

Great service at check in. I had a problem finding my ID and eyeglass lens had fallen out. The receptionist fixed my lens for me (I couldn't see) and then patiently waited while I found my drivers license which had fallen out into my suitcase. It sounds like no big deal but it was. Her attitude was pure customer service and I was very pleased.

The room was big, comfortable and with a breathtaking view of Manhattan. The room comfort became a big deal the next day when it was snowing and impossible to go out in the evening. I was able to get a dinner at the Trader Joe's across the parking lot and hole up comfortably for the night.

Breakfast service was fine, exactly as expected, but with a bright, pleasant young guy working the room who greeted each guest, offered advice on driving in the snow and made everyone feel welcome.

My business was in NJ and I needed a car. This made this hotel the best option. It was comfortable, clean, with an amazing view and a great staff. Good job overall.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the skyline. If you can't, there is an outdoor patio on the river whic...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Hyannis, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

This hotel is a great budget option if you'd like to some money while traveling to the n.y.c. area but it could use some improvements. Management and hotel desk employees were nice enough and gave us directions to get around the area. We felt that the grounds over all could use some improvement. The landscaping and parking lot are a bit dumpy looking and are surrounded by abandoned buildings and an abandoned boat. Very strange and kind of sketchy. Also a couple of suggestions for management. Don't rent out the room next to the housekeeping units because it's way too noisy. We heard the washers and dryers all night long and the plumping made a squeaking noise that woke us up at 5 A.M.!!! The noise was unrelenting and we could not get back to sleep. Also The house keeping staff are also not the most respectful. You can hear them talking loudly, playing music and slamming doors all morning long. The hotel also has a problem with stray cats hanging around the premises. We saw a couple of them run into a hole that went under the building!! Gross.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

COMFORT INN
201-943-3131
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

While visiting family in the New York New Jersey area, we made reservations at the facility because of it's location which is off the Hudson and not far from family. We arrived late in the evening and I was surprised to see all the stairs inside and out and no ADA access. There's no elevator for this two story facility either.

The room was spacious (rectangular) with up to date cable service but the room itself reminded me of the old infrastructure of this area. Paint peeling in the bathroom area and uneven floors throughout. It might be that way because of flooding as there is a floor drain in the bathroom. The room was acceptable for a nights stay.

Breakfast area was clean and neat with several options of cereal, eggs, toast and a breakfast meat such as sausage or bacon.

As parking is limited in this area I appreciated the free parking; the staff was pleasant. My overall disappointment was the stairs. i don't need ADA facilities but it makes it easier to maneuver bags on ramps verses stairs any day. If you utilize a wheel chair or steps cause you issues, this location would not be on my list.

Room Tip: Get a room on the first floor; there is no elevator.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Edgewater hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Beautiful view of the New York City Skyline. Rooms very clean and the staff was very warm and friendly. Rooms are all completely renovated with refrigerator and microwave. I definitely recommend this hotel

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
SHANTI S, Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Jean,

SHANTI SANTIAGO
GM
COMFORT INN
201-943-3131
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

It's inexpensive and with free parking is a good place to stay if you are on a road trip. Breakfast is crowded and it is not unusual for most of the food to run out. It can feel a little like survival of the fittest. Though it has been recently renovated, it's really just a thin coat of paint on a tired facility. Good access to a bus to NYC or a half mile walk to a boat that will take you to Midtown (but it's a commuter boat, so it stops at 8pm).

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My family do not have to stay in an 5 star hotel but we do not have to be subject to a digusting one. First there is no elevetator, okay we can deal with that but really? We walked up to the room it smelled really bad. We tried spraying it with lysol it just completely stunk. Then my husband tells me on the last day (stayed for 2 days) that there was ants in the bed and he had to call the front desk to come spray the rooms. Ants wasn't just in bed they was on floor of the room also. If it wasn't for all the problems in that room I would have noticed that the room has a nice view of NYC. But coudn't enjoy it becaus the room was just horrible. Only certain rooms get refrigerator and microwaves and want to charge you to put it in your room. I wanted to get my money back and check out. I had payed in advance and my husband is the the kind of guy that wanted to just get throught the 2 days. Really for that price I got that type of service!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!