“It was better when it was Enigma” 1 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #20 of 68 Restaurants in Edgewater
Piermont, NY
“It was better when it was Enigma”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Back in 1985 this restaurant was Enigma. The cave room WAS the only place to dine and it was out of this world. Sad to say, nearly thirty years later, the front room addition does not come close to the original design and in my opinion resembles human intestines or worms....not very appetizing. The last time I went (March 2012) I brought a date from out of town who had I had raved about this unique location that I had frequented since my youth. What a monumental disappointment. We were told that a minimum of 6 people were required to sit in the cave....wow. How the times have changed. After we were escorted to a lackluster table in the back room, crummy service was what we received. When we asked for the Manager awaiting over thirty minutes to give our order, he was less than genuine in his apology. If you go, I hope your experience is better than mine was.

• Visited March 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Montreal, Canada
“Love the 'cave' room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I love this place to go and have a quick bite or for a hot cocoa. Once you are in it, make sure you ask for a table inside of a 'cave'. The design is like nowhere else and you truly feel like you're in a cave. The service is ok, and the food is ok too. This place is great when you don't want to spend too much and want to enjoy the atmosphere. Will definitely go back once I'm in the area.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Knoxville, Tennessee
“UNIQUE, OUT OF THIS WORLD”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Unique and one of a kind. You will never eat or relax in a place like Archetypus in your entire life. The entire space is one big sculpture that creates a most relaxing mood. It is a place that you will revist over and over again and will be the first restaurant/cafe you will take your out of town visitors to eat.

Visited May 2012
Dumont, New Jersey
“go for the atmosphere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

We (8) family members went here for dinner after seeing a movie across the street. The decor is very unique. All sculpted gray cave/booths and cement floors. The lighting is very dim. Actually, a little too dim, couldn't see the food! The service we had was friendly. But the food is very over priced and limited to pizzas and wraps. $5 cup of coffee and $12 for 2 scoops of icecream on the sundae menu. I guess you're paying for the ambience. Nice place for a special visit but I wouldn't go back for a regular meal.

• Visited November 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Best desserts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011 via mobile

I only had desserts, so I cannot say anything about the other items on the menu.
I can tell you that desserts are delicious even though a little pricey, over $10

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere