“New Management = great improvements!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining style: Casual Dining
Dining style: Casual Dining
New York City, New York
“New Management = great improvements!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

We stopped going here a while ago because the food was awful!
But now, under the watchful eye of experienced restaurateur / talented musician, Jono Frola, the place has definitely improved! If you've been here and you were disappointed you should definitely go back and give it another try. The food is100% better and so is the service.
It took a lot of courage for me to try the mussels (bad memories of past disasters) but they were perfectly fresh, tender and the white wine broth was so good I needed more bread to mop it up! Oysters Rockefeller - now there's something you don't often find on a menu these days - were prepared in the traditional way and also delicious. The entire menu has been updated and improved. Service is friendly and polished. Nice bar; a great local place to meet friends.
I even hear rumors that they might bring back the live music upstairs - I hope so!
If like me, you gave up on Tomaso's, I recommend you definitely give it another chance.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“The worst meal I have ever had”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

Overpriced soggy and salty food. Please don't waste your time or money. Just horrible. The owner was obnoxious but the only plus was the bartender was nice even though the one drink I had was watered down.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Best Italian outside Italy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Another visit to Edgewater's "Tomaso's", which is without a doubt the best Italian food I've had outside Italy.
It's true that their service is not perfect, but they do always try their best. However, the superb quality of the food make up (at least for me), for the point lost for the service.
Their bread is amazing, as well as their soups. I usually have the gnocchi which never fails to deliver.
I always eat there when I'm in the area.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Honesdale, Pennsylvania
“Do not bother!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Poorly made Italian food.The ceasar salad was prepared with store bought croutons & Kraft parmesean cheese. The pizza margharita had huge slices of beefsteak tomatoes on it... not very pleasant!
Poor selection of beer.

Visited June 2012
New York
“Terrible service. Average food.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

My wife and I went to Tomaso's for Valentine's day celebration dinner. The whole experience was such a disappointment.
First of all, after we were seated, no one showed up for 15 minutes to take our order or even give us drinks Menu. There was a one page menu (literally one paper sheet) on the table and we started deciding what to eat.
We are vegetarians and we realized that in the Entrees section, there was not a single item we could order. A bit disappointed, we ended up ordering an appetizer and a salad.
One positive thing about the whole experience was that the waiter had the chef prepare special pasta dish for us with veggies. It was very nice of him.
But moving on, the dishes came after a long time. In the meantime, we saw two couples leave the restaurant because they had been waiting for more than half an hour and nobody came to take their order.
The food was mediocre. And finally we asked the waiter to bring us dessert menu which again took more than 20 minutes. We got tired, got up and left the place without ordering dessert.
The main problem seemed to be the lady manager who was bossing around, stopping wait staff in their tracks and assigning them some random tasks. Completely micro-managing and messing things up. If she had stayed away, probably the wait staff would have done a great job.

• Visited February 2012