“Treated terribly by management. Hotel in major need of updating.” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #3 of 4 hotels in Eatontown
Morristown, New Jersey
“Treated terribly by management. Hotel in major need of updating.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

We stayed here last Saturday for the NJ Marathon. It was the host hotel. As far as the hotel itself was concerned, it was pretty much par for the course for the Jersey Shore...in need of updates and repairs but decent.

After finally settling into our room around 9pm (we had just flown back from a Miami vacation earlier that day) we discovered that the toilet in our bathroom did not work. After inspecting it ourselves, we found a dirty used water bottle in the tank. It was unrelated to the problem but raised concern as to how meticulously the rooms are cleaned and maintained. Still not sure why it was there.

We debated whether to bring it to mgmt attention because it was late (9:30pm) and we had to be up at 4:30 am for the race, but when we realized the toilet was unusable, we had no choice.

My husband went to the front desk and 2 nice gentlemen there initially attempted to help but were cut off by a man who appeared to be their manager. My husband attempted to tell him what was wrong with the toilet and the manager cut him off and said we should've brought it to his attention sooner. He then told my husband that he can't fix the problem if he can't tell him what is wrong. He never offered to come to the room to see for himself, to send maintenance or showed any concern whatsoever.

When my husband became frustrated and told the manager that he just needed a toilet, the manager told my husband that he was harassing him and that he was going to have him removed.

We are Starwood Preferred members and travel often and have NEVER been treated so poorly. It was virtually unfathomable. At that point, my husband decided to walk away because he was getting no where and did not want to escalate the situation. He asked the manager for his card with the intent of calling corporate.

By this point, more than 30 minutes had gone by with no solution and my husband called corporate from the room. That call lasted at least an additional 30 minutes. We were out on hold several times, presumably so corporate could reach out to the hotel because maintenance all of a sudden showed up at our door....but only after corporate got involved.

What became even more unbelievable was that when corporate asked for the name of the manager, my husband read the card that was given to him by the manager and realized that the name on it was "Loretta." The manager he spoke to would not even provide his own card or his real name - in the event he didn't have a card.

Maintenance checked the toilet and determined that it was a faulty valve. We were told that it would take at least an hour and a half to fix. By this time, however, it was well after 11pm and we had to be up by 4:30. (Had the manager just dealt with the situation like a professional when we first approached him, it could have already been fixed by this point)

After maintenance left, we were put on hold several more times...again, presumably, so the plumber could report back to the hotel and corporate with the cause of the problem.

Thereafter, the corporate representative came back on the phone and offered us 5000 Starwood points to close the matter. While I suppose it was a decent gesture, what I really wanted at that point was just a working toilet...having paid over $200 for a run down hotel room, I didn't think that was too much to ask. I asked what my alternative was and was told that the matter would be kept open and reported to the hotel manager directly. I told them that neither alternative solved the problem that we had no working toilet so they may as well just keep the matter open.

My husband and I then had to use the public restrooms in the lobby for the rest of our stay.

We were contacted after checkout by another hotel manager and she offered to take 20% off of our room because we "refused" the Starwood points. There was no apology, no "hey, sorry, we didn't mean to threaten to arrest you when you got upset about having no toilet." They just completely did not care. We responded that this was unacceptable but received no response since.

Promoted by this experience, I read previous Tripadvisor posts and realized that rude management and malfunctioning toilets are not isolated incidents at this hotel. I am a huge fan of Starwood, but will never stay at this hotel again. Management showed a complete lack of care and respect for its guests. I may not have gotten a satisfactory resolution to my situation, but I will be sure to share this story with as many others as possible so no one has to endure the obnoxious, callous, rude treatment by management that we did.

(I should also note that when we initially checked in, there were 2 events going on at the hotel - a pasta dinner for the race and a wedding. My husband and I both heard the rude manager comment out loud to a co-worker at that point, "the food back there is worse than it was last night." And then he laughed. We didn't think anything about it at the time or even discuss it, but after seeing how he operated and how he treated us, we both realized that the comment was just further evidence of how little he cared for his responsibilities.)

• Stayed May 2013
byouchah, Corporate Director Internet Marketing at Sheraton Eatontown Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Jene74,

Please accept our sincere apologies for your experience while staying with us. We strive to make the stay of every one of our guests an exceptional one. It is disappointing for us all to hear we did not make this happen for you and your husband. We hope your time at the New Jersey Marathon and Jersey Shore were good ones.

Our Front Desk Supervisor was Manager on Duty during the evening of your stay. In reading the guest service log from that evening, I gather he was having a hard time understanding what the problem was with your room and is sorry for any miscommunication. Otherwise, he would have been happy to rectify the issue quickly.

We are sorry to hear you were up so late and had difficulty getting a resolution. Loretta's card was given to your husband because as the Front Desk Manager, she is his direct supervisor and the on property contact for guest experience issues. She forwarded me a copy of the apology email that was sent to your husband. If you would like to discuss anything further, please feel free to contact me.

Again, we extend our sincere apologies in not providing an exceptional stay. We hope you will give us another chance and I would be happy to assist in the reservation. Thank you for your loyalty to Starwood and for being an SPG member.

212 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Mountain Lakes, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stayed here during the week. As others have mentioned some of the front desk staff are bording on the rude side, but others were pleasant. It is in an industrial area, but only 10 minutes away from the shore and Jersey shore medical center. So the location was good. The room's appointments were not up to date, but acceptable. Two sitting chairs with an ottoman and table. No refridgerator in the room. The wireless was acceptably fast.
The continental bfast was ok, the staff at bfast was very attentive. There is an indoor/outdoor pool that was nice and an indoor hot tub. It wasn't used much during our stay, but should have been. Also there is a 24 hour health center that was used.

We will be staying there again I'm sure.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear wherearewegoing1,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback after staying with us. We're so glad to hear that you'll be back to stay with us. Refrigerators for our guest rooms are based upon availability. You may request one during your next stay. We hope to welcome you back soon.

ny,ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I read the mixed reviews online and was a bit apprehensive when booking this hotel. As a long time SPG member i mainly stick with SPG hotels. I had spoken to someone at the hotel by phone to discuss a few requests for my stay, and found them quite rude which just made me more apprehensive. My fears were unfounded when i showed up to the hotel and was greeted by a very pleasant girl at the front desk. Between her and a coworker at the desk plus a maintenance man, they promptly ensured all of our needs and requests were met (from a refrigerator, to placing two family members right next door, and much more)!!!

That being said about the staff, the hotel itself is decent but does show signs of aging from worn spots in the carpets to peeling wallpaper.
The room itself was a deluxe room on the 3rd floor (2 flights up) which are considerably bigger than the standard room.
As an orthodox jew at the hotel on Saturday, I appreciated the fact that the stairwells were kept clean and quite a few manual exterior doors were available (not to mention the manual locks on the room doors) which are not available in many other hotels

Room Tip: Club level as always at Sheraton- or request a deluxe room on the east side of the hotel (facing Sta...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
byouchah, Corporate Director Internet Marketing at Sheraton Eatontown Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Mark K,

Thank you for being our guest and a loyal SPG member. We appreciate the time you took to leave us your feedback. A commitment to excellent guest service is the backbone of our business and it's uncharacteristic for one of our team members to be rude. Your comments have been passed along so the department head can address any training issues.

On the other hand, we are so pleased to hear that your face to face interactions with our staff were all pleasant. There are plans to update to product portion of the property in the future. If travel plans bring you back to the Jersey Shore, we hope you will choose to stay at Sheraton Eatontown Hotel.

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I recently stayed at the Sheraton Eatonville hotel while attending a conference at nearby Monmouth College. The hotel is situated in an industrial area so there is not much of a view but it was a full service hotel with a very helpful front desk staff. The room was large, comfortable, clean, quiet and contained the famous Sheraton beds and white bedding. I had some trouble at first with wifi but when the desk agent could not help, a call to their technical support solved the problem quickly. There was also a nice indoor pool which I, unfortunately, did not have time to use.
One of the best and most convenient things about this hotel was that it offered free shuttle service within a radius of about 5 miles. The drivers were very knowledgeable and also quite helpful and my colleagues and I used this service to and fro to the university. It also took me shopping and picked me up again!

I should also comment on the excellence of this hotel's restaurant. I had not expected to find a really good sirloin cooked to exactly the way I like it and was therefore very pleasantly surprised. The price at $20 was also reasonable since it was part of their daily 3 course menu. Their wine list was also fairly comprehensive. The restaurant is run by an executive chef of some experience and it really shows.

All told, a very good experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
byouchah, Corporate Director Internet Marketing at Sheraton Eatontown Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear 2York,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a pleasant review on your experience with us. I have shared your feedback with our team members. They were all so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope your travels will bring you back to the Jersey Shore soon and you are our guest again.

Huntsville, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Room had 2 beds white linens for everything. table in corner no chairs. wing back chair w footstool to awkward to use around small table. desk and chair was used by one person an other had to sit on bed and use bed table to eat room service. room service was good and food was good. tip is included in room service pricing just so u know. tub hard to get into if u have any knee problems can see why all the metal tubing around shower. wallpaper was pealing and ceiling around had water damage with it pealing the popcorn as well. curtains didnt shut right parking lot lights were bright thru curtains at nite. our maid was very nice lady. no frig or microwave in room. not very spacious with 2 beds in room either. they are working on outside of building too. make sure not to get that side. they need to renovate the whole property and bring into this century. nice hotel if u don;t have to stay long or hang out in room all day. free breakfast while we were there didnt have the waffle or anything like that. our hot thing was eggs and house potatoes like home fries. pastry bread to toast ceral yougart milk coffe juice fresh fruit was all there as well. free usa today paper was nice on friday wish it was for weekend too. all in all the room was functional and the place was close to where we had to be.

Room Tip: may need to put a/c on just to have fresh air circulating in room. had no air in bathroom need to ke...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear qoftravel25,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a thorough review of the property. Your compliments and critiques are equally well received. I have shared your review with management so that the proper praise can be given and any maintenance concerns will be addressed.

We hope if your future travels bring you to the Jersey Shore again you will be our guest.

Red Bank, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Had an outstanding experience with the sales team for my daughters wedding March 2013. From Samantha, to Denise & Diane everything went smoothly wedding & food & the service outstanding & was throughly enjoyed by all.

Room Tip: all rooms seem great - was with a wedding block & everyone was happy!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
byouchah, Corporate Director Internet Marketing at Sheraton Eatontown Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Barbar S,

We are all so happy to hear your family had a great experience with us. Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Samantha, Denise and Diane appreciate the personal mentions and relayed how much they enjoyed working with you and your daughter. We wish her and her groom a lifetime of happiness.

Keyport, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Just got home from a great night at the Sheraton! We were welcomed at the front desk by a very friendly staff. Tom is the BEST! They couldn't be more helpful! When we got to our room it was GORGEOUS! VERY CLEAN - SPOTLESS -SPACIOUS! The decor was very modern and beautiful - We stayed in the suite - it was beyond amazing! I haven't seen a nicer room since the movie "INDECENT PROPOSAL" ( the scene with Demi Moore & Robert Redford ) ha.We felt like Rock Stars! I would definitely say it would be the ultimate honeymoon suite! The pictures don't do the room justice! Tom at the front desk offered us a free shuttle to downtown Long Branch , where we went to Jack's BBQ and then to a show at the BRIGHTON BAR. Great location for bar hopping, clubbing, and cool restaurants - (and only a ten minute free shuttle from the hotel). The shuttle driver, also named Tom, was great and recommended many other places for entertainment in the Long Branch area! The next morning there was a continental breakfast and Habib hooked us up with 2 delicious lattes! I also want to acknowledge Barb, the general manager, who helped me with my reservation! Don't let any negative reviews deter you....WE ABSOLUTELY RECOMMEND this hotel to anyone! VERY CLEAN, very safe, very classy, very accommodating! WE'LL BE BACK!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
byouchah, Corporate Director Internet Marketing at Sheraton Eatontown Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Colmosis,

Thank you so much for leaving such a wonderful and thorough review. I've shared it with the hotel team and they are all thrilled. I'm glad you gave me the opportunity to reassure you prior to your arrival. This is why I leave my email address on every response. Receiving reviews like yours and knowing you left with your expectations exceeded is the most rewarding part of working in hospitality. We hope to welcome you back soon. Don't hesitate to reach out if I can be of further assistance.

byouchah@sheratoneatontown.com

Been to Sheraton Eatontown Hotel? Share your experiences!