“Huge Value” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Big Lake, Minnesota
“Huge Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Located right off 95. My rate was around $100 dollars and you pass an old Hilton that will give you a room for $150 that's not as nice. This property meet HIE standards. Parking is free and not a hassle. I was recognized as a Priority Member and the front desk clerk explained breakfast times etc. Room was larger than I expected with a comfortable bed and sofa. Work station had a comfortable chair, plenty of plugs for a business traveler. Internet worked very well. Room and bedding were fresh and clean. Carpet and corners equally clean. The night I stayed it was about 15 degrees out and the HVAC kept the room comfortable with a minimum of noise. The bathroom was also clean, adequate amount of fresh clean towels. Plenty of hot water in the morning. Breakfast was standard HI, with cinnamon rolls etc. Breakfast area was well stocked and clean. There is no evening restaurant but serveral loca places deliver.
There were only two minor issues. The pool was out of service, not a big deal for me, but a possible inconvenience. The second is while I wasn't disturbed by my neighbors next door, you noticed the footsteps of the person above me. Thankfully they settled in for the night and it wasn't a problem. I highly recommend this property as an option to the pricer, pay for parking Hilton just yards away. No need to spend extra $$ to shut your eyes.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
NYC_BS, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Tower Center, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Hello Triplewin:

Thank you for your great review of our hotel and staff.

Sincere apologies that the pool was out-of-order while you were here. We were in the process of installing our pool lift for wheel-chair bound guests (enabling them to have access to the pool whenever they desire).

We will share your review with our staff at our next staff meeting.
Thank you.

142 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Sydney, Nova Scotia Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed at this property Jan. 4th 2013. We have stayed at many HI and HIE properties and this was the worst and I'll explain why. It did not live up to what we have become accustomed to in our stays at HIE. While the front desk gentleman that checked us in was very nice, polite and extremely helpful which lives up to our previous experiences, the lady that works the desk in the am, was not so helpful. While I had filled out a comment card and passed it to her with my concerns, she stayed seated and didn't seem concerned except to say, "I'll pass it on to management". with this far away look as if I was bothering her.... hmmmm ok you do that.
Positives: Friendly and helpful front desk NIGHT TIME staff. Beautiful lobby to walk into. Although it would have been difficult to get to, it wasn't as I had directions from a post below. Although there were enough items on the breakfast menu to fill our tummies, it lacked what we normally see at the HIE. Comfy beds which is all we need when traveling, clean room and comfy beds.
Negatives: As both children have asthma unclean/dusty rooms are a concern. I wrote "clean me" in the dust, on the lamp stand between the beds. You could tell the room had been redone, as in freshly painted and a few new items but it didn't cover the huge spot in the bathroom ceiling or the mildew all around the edges that had been painted over or the dated fixtures in the bathroom. The breakfast, gosh where do I start. The tea biscuits were that hard, I could have sent them to the NHL for their games. I tapped each with the tongs but yep they were all hard as a rock. I took one and literally had trouble breaking it in my hands as another guest watched me. The gravy for the biscuits had a skim over the top, as in having been sitting there under the heat lamp too long. No bacon or sausage to be found. Cutting costs maybe? I would continue driving next time to another HIE.
Like the previous poster, we paid $69 using the coupon from the hotel/motel coupon book we picked up along the way. I did make sure he had lots of rooms left and got a price, before I mentioned I had a coupon to use :<))

Room Tip: There was enough items on the brekkie menu to fill us but I love love tea biscuits. The whole pkg w...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear rhnedesveaux96:

Sincere apologies for the staffing related problems you faced during your checkout. We have spoken with the Guest Service Agent you interacted with, and are intensifying our training efforts with her.

We have also shared your review with our breakfast attendant and maintenance staff to improve those service areas.

Thank you.
New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We really liked this hotel although it seemed like the man(staff) wasn't too happy about the coupon we found and gave him that we found at the rest stop, even though he said no problem. He just didn't act very friendly although he was helpful he just didn't have a great disposition. but that was fine we really liked the hotel. The only thing is the rooms are so close you can hear everything going on next door or in the hallway. Some people woke me up that were talking in either thier room or the hallway at 2 am then again at 3am. But other than that the room was nice and the breakfast was good they had a pancake maker and hot eggs with cheese, and fresh hot cinnabon rolls.It was pretty good. we got the room for $69 per night with the coupon so great value. It would have been $119. w/o coupon.

Room Tip: Get coupon from rest stop in the book titled hotel coupons,save $50. per night.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
los angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

There is nothing wrong with this place at all...there's a lot right though. The front desk was very nice, the rooms were spacious, updated and clean. The breakfast had a lot of variety and was well stocked.....the lobby was nicely done, My gym was only a mile away..... I will be back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I had to do the average rating, sorry HI Express. Yes you provided with with a clean room, comfortable bed, microwave, refridgerator; and a decent sized LCD TV with Direct TV.

But my internet connection is poor and Im on the first floor. I cannot even watch a 3 minute YouTube video without it stalling out. Also, I can hear every footstep of the person above me. Imagine if it was a family!! So bring your earplugs just to start off on your sleep. I went to the 2nd floor yesterday and every step I took down the aisle thumped. I haven't heard my side neighbors which is a plus. You do provide a nice breakfast, and the pancake maker is a nice addition - to bad it fails on every other cake. Most mornings the attendant is taking it apart, cleaning up the leftover batter. The indoor pool looked nice, but i didn't bring swim gear.

Be prepared on not having any food choices within walking distance; except maybe the Hilton Hotel. I think the closest restaurant is a mile or so away down a very busy Rt-18.

Room Tip: The top floor (4th) so you don't have to hear the thumpers above.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Aviemore, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Comfortable & quiet room, choice of firm/soft pillows, excellent free internet - generally all very good. Signs of water spillage around the bottom of the shower curtain. Surprisingly good express breakfast. Public areas all neat & well maintained, staff likewise!
Good value for money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Booked two rooms for a one night stay with family during the first weekend in October 2012.

The rooms included one with double queen beds and one with king bed. Both were excellent: clean, spacious and comfortable.

A lot of choices for breakfast the next morning.

Would stay here again in a heartbeat.

I have been to many Holiday Inn Expresses and they always impress us!

Room Tip: None that I know of.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Tower Center? Share your experiences!