“Creative Little Museum!” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Educational Sites, Children's Museums, Museums
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
“Creative Little Museum!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

I was surprised at how much fun my three children and I had at this creative little museum. We actually got to step into a Van Gogh painting -- how cool is that -- sit on Van Gogh's bed, touch his things. We also had fun drawing and sculpting with clay. We climbed inside a replica of an old space capsule -- it was amazing to see how tiny those original capsules were! I loved the way the museum includes science, art and culture. Who would expect to find such a fun and educational place right here in Dover, without having to drive all the way to Newark or New York City or Philadelphia!

Newton, NJ
85 attraction reviews
“Not Much To Do Here”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2008

The Community Children's Museum is located just off of Route 46 in Dover, NJ. I first heard of it from a Kid's Stuff coupon book. The admission is only $5, but the place is really small. When I walked in, I wondered if I could keep my daughter occupied for even a half hour. The exhibits are not very hands on, more like displays actually. Some were broken and they looked old and worn even though the museum apparently has not been around all that long.

The 2 rooms of exhibits consisted of the world of electricity (mostly not working and questioned the safety of exposed outlets), examples of international houses (display only), a performance stage with some old clothes in a box, a recreation of Van Gogh's apartment, a historical dinner party done by some local school children (display only again with a broken narrator box) and a tiny model of the Apollo 7 which a toddler could barely fit in. It only took my daughter a few minutes to see everything and spend the rest of the time in the play area, which was supposed to be a recreation of a lake house.

Although the museum was supposed to close at 5:00, the girl closed the door to the small gift shop at 4:30, wouldn't give us a minute to look around and then disappeared. You get the impression they wanted you to leave, so I happily obliged. I wouldn't go back.