“Very nice, newer suite-style hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Deptford
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Very nice, newer suite-style hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I stayed at this Marriott Residence Inn last weekend with my two dogs - i had a great room near the door to outside (at my request), on the first floor (at my request) and was happy to find a clean and well-furnished living room/kitchen and bedroom. The rooms are not huge but plenty big enough and again - CLEAN. The A/C worked great, the TVs were in order, the kitchen was stocked with everything I needed (dishes, glasses, dishwashing soap, paper towels, silverware, etc.) Did I mention CLEAN? The front desk staff was very accommodating.
My only blip was that there was a sign welcoming Marriott Rewards members by name on a small easel at the front desk when I arrived, but my name wasn't included? That was weird but really I would prefer my anonymity!
Breakfast was plentiful and staff there was also great. Unfortunately there was a woman there with her two grandchildren who let them run wild and then went upstairs and left them unattended... but that's not the hotel's fault! I'll definitely stay at this hotel next time I'm in South Jersey.

Room Tip: Corner King rooms are large but the bedroom doesn't have a door - all one large room - the queen...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Kellie N, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Deptford, responded to this review, November 26, 2013

68 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I'm on my 18th day of a 20 night stay at this hotel and have found it a bit disappointing. I spend a lot of time in Residence Inns and typically feel welcomed by the local staff and managers. I often receive a friendly note at checkin from the manager. Here, in spite of the fact that there were a dozen or more in my group, I never got the impression that we were valued guests and never met any of the managers. No one has inquired about how my stay has been.

Two of the women at the front desk are very friendly, but the majority of the front desk people offer a minimal response when you speak to them. The maintenance person was very pleasant and always greeted me nicely when I saw him. The lady who does the evening social hour is a sweetheart, but one of the morning ladies is obviously a disgruntled employee. She never directed any rude comments to me, but I overheard her scolding another guest one morning because he tried to get eggs a few minutes before breakfast officially began. This morning she was more interested in taking the coupons from the Sunday morning newspapers than in getting the breakfast ready. The lights in the dining area were turned on 15 minutes late for breakfast because both food people and the front desk clerk were at one of the guest computers looking at something while several guests ate in the dark. The breakfast area is poorly arranged, with the hot foods in a tiny corner near the juice machine. It is very congested and would be more convenient if the hot food was arranged on the long counter.

I called ahead of my visit to request a quiet room because I knew I would be working off hours. My first room was on the second floor and as soon as I walked in I could hear loud noises above me. The air conditioning unit was also extremely loud. I ask to be relocated and the desk tried to find a better room, but the first one they offered me had only been partially cleaned. The bed was not completely made and there was a note on the table saying that the sofa needed to be cleaned. The second room had an even louder air conditioner than the first. The second day, the staff was able to move me to a third floor unit that was satisfactory from a noise standpoint. I did request better pillows, since the ones I had were very soft. I was offered three others, but they were worse than the ones on the bed. They appeared to be old, cheap pillows. The pad under the sheets seemed to be too small for the bed and was always lumped up, even after the bed was just made.

The daily cleaning of the room was very inconsistent. I had to clean grunge out of the bottom of the dishwasher and from around the drain of the bathtub before I could use either of them. Some days the room was cleaned properly. Some days, items taken, such as dirty towels, were not replaced.

The public areas seem relatively clean and a landscaper planted nice flowers while I was there. A little hospitality and quality control would go a long way in making the guests enjoy their stay at this location.

Room Tip: Stay on the top floor if possible and try out the air conditioning right away to make sure it isn...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
anna p, General Manager at Residence Inn Deptford, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to discuss your many unfortunate issues during your stay. We are truly embarrassed that we did not leave you with the impression that you are a valued guest and certainly hope that you will allow us the opportunity to make that up to you! We apprecaite your loyalty to Marriott as a PLATINUM Elite Member.

At Your Service
Seminole, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

When booking a hotel, I always look for either a Hampton Inn or Residence Inn (both Marriott). The one in Deptford, NJ was incredible. It had everything from a wonderful buffet each am to above-average staff from the people serving food (includes weekday dinners (we did one night) to front desk and housekeeping staff. Each person went way beyond their job while always being courteous, helpful and friendly!

We were visiting my younger daughter & granddaughter in NJ. We stayed @ Residence because they have a 2-bedroom suite (a bit pricey, but well worth it) (which was well-stocked). We needed a bedroom & bath for my older daughter & granddaughter, separate bed & bath for my husband & I. Also a nice living room w/tv and kitchenette oven & range, frig, microwave, coffee maker and dishwasher and cooking utensils & dishes/glasses. Needless to say, everyone had what they needed w/o being on top of each other. The free 24-hr coffee (always fresh & very, very good), tea, station was convenient as was the free newspapers and & any request was never a problem. It was very well stocked for someone like me who had lap band surgery & always found something to eat or store away in the room for my super small meals. Thanks for the little peanut butters which I carried everywhere to ward off the low sugar attacks. Even my especially fussy husband found something to eat that was hot. The exercise room was good. It even got this lazy person exercising. Hotel was close to reasonably-priced restaurants & very near to the turnpike.

This hotel should be the training ground for all hotels/motels. They could learn 'a thing or two!!!' Extraordinary job NJ Residence Inn!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS.-Amanda & LaTasha Perry - extraordinary (can't stop saying this)!!!!!

Room Tip: The 2-rm suite is perfect for families!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Kellie N, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Deptford, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for the kind words! next time you are in our area please give me a call and i would be happy to make reservations for you.We look forward to your next visit!

Kellie Nice
DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

A friend and I stayed here while visiting Philadelphia for a concert. We needed to check in a bit early and the staff was very accommodating and helpful to us. We had plenty of space in the room and it served our purpose which was to have a great nights rest.

During our stay there was a gas leak nearby and the hotel staff was great keeping us updated on the status of when we could go back in and were also helpful in making sure we were ok.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Kellie Nice
Willington, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We were traveling with my parents (70s) and our adult daughters. We stayed two nights in a suite here. Two bedrooms, two bathrooms, living room and full kitchen. We were very happy with the accommodations. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The beds were a little lumpy, but not too bad. A/C worked well and the water had good pressure and was very hot (watch out if you have little kids). The pool was nice and both times we used it we had it to ourselves. Breakfast was decent, not restaurant quality of course, but better than anyplace else we've stayed. Scrambled eggs, roasted potatoes, French toast. There are also two waffle makers and the usual cereal, bagels, yoghurt. Everyone at the front desk was quick to greet us and always friendly.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
anna p, General Manager at Residence Inn Deptford, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Dear Valued Guest -

I wanted to Thank You for taking the time to share your experience with the world. We value your feedback and thrive to exceed your expectations. We appreciate your kind words and hope to see you again soon.

Yours in Hospitality
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

The three of us spent three days with dogs in a studio suite, and had a very enjoyable experience. We had some trepidation about our reservations here after reading some of the negative reviews on this site, but we did not experience any of the problems some others mentioned. Our room was immaculate and comfortable for three with little kitchen area, fridge, microwave, sink; comfortable bathroom and the maid provided extra towels on request when we caught her in the corridor. The room was quiet. the best part were the relatively lavish breakfasts which changed each day, though scrambled eggs, bacon or other meat, and potatoes were there each day. They also had a make-your-own waffle setup with many toppings which delighted our teenage daughter. The only downside was that it seems a little too expensive, though we feel we came close to getting our money's worth.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor near front door. A good location!
Dear Valued Guest -

Thank You so much for taking the time to share your experience with the world. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we were able to provide comfort for your family and pets. Thank you for choosing the Deptford Residence Inn and we hope to see you again when you are in the area.

Yours In Hospitality
Md USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Stayed there in order to attend conference in Philly. Great stay! Hotel and rooms very clean. Bed very comfortable. Like the kitchenette. Breakfast area clean and staff was efficient. Not the greatest breakfast but sufficient. Check-in and check-out speedy. Front desk staff friendly and efficient. Would definitely stay there again. I understand there are only king size beds at Residence Inn. If they would consider 2 queen/double in some rooms that would be great

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Kellie N, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Deptford, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for the great review and we look forward to your next visit.

Been to Residence Inn Deptford? Share your experiences!