“Disappointed after many, many years” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 69 Restaurants in Denville
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
New Jersey
“Disappointed after many, many years”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We have eaten at Cafe Metro for a long time, before they converted many smaller rooms into the larger two. Their menu and pricepoint was appealing and we particularly loved their fish specials, often phoning ahead to find out what it was. These fish specials were typically $16.95 perhaps $18. You can imagine our surprise when last night's sole was $24 and the iceberg appetizer/salad was $13. New menu, so we decided to offer from that as specials were too highly priced. I was so disappointed with the seafood 'risotto' -- the thing is, arborio rice makes a creamy dish if cooked properly, but the rice was clearly not arborio and was generally tasteless. My husband's eggplant and chicken with pasta was not much better. Such a shame. However, the Antipasto Metro is still delicious. I'd stay with the stir-fry dishes here.

• Visited January 2013

Bluff, Utah
“Had a good day and a not so good day...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

After I flew into Newark airport, I was ready for a good lunch, and my cabbie told me that this was one of the 2 best places for vegetarians. I ordered organic brown rice and vegetable stir fry with tempeh! I was in heaven. Any other vegetarians out there who read this, I'd stick with the stir frys (on another day we ordered pasta and we sent back 2 of the 3 dishes - but they brought out other dishes and were very attentive and accomodating - so I still think they're good). Also, try for dessert the "samores for two", it was awesome!

Visited December 2012
Oxnard, California
“Nice Restaurant, Decent Food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Cafe Metro is a cute, friendly restaurant that I really wanted to like more than I did. The restaurant is cozy, the service friendly, the menu varied with a slant to Italian food but plenty of other options including vegan dishes. My wife had a pasta dish and my friend and i had an eggplant and chicken layered dish with pasta. Honestly, these dishes are better in a good Italian restaurant. The highlight was the zucchini cake for dessert and the make your own smores.=, but the coffee was weak and barely drinkable. Cafe Metro is ok but i wanted it to be so much better.

• Visited December 2012
Mount Olive, New Jersey
“Great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

Cafe metro offers a great lunch at a reasonable price. I had the salmon burger which was full of flavor and quite enjoyable. The side salad was substantial and the organic chips were a nice add all for under ten dollars. My co workers were also pleased with their chicken sandwiches, quiche, and pasta dishes. The only negative was that the service started slow, they apologized that they had a large number of diners arrive at the same time. Aside from the delay in the arrival of the waitress the balance of the service was prompt and attentive. Bottom line is that I'd go again.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Montville, New Jersey, United States
“Like the food,hate the service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

Have been coming here off and on through the years as it is a nice spot with consistenly good food. Absolutely love the spicy peanut chicken , the stir fry and pasta dishes. They also make a decent capuccino and desserts. They only reason I don't frequent this place more often is due to the bad service. It takes at minimum 15 minutes to get your taken. They don't stop by and check to see if everything is oka This place could be really great if they would just work on this down fall.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere