“Great Irish Bar” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #17 of 69 Restaurants in Denville
Cuisines: American, Irish, Bar, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Measure a roof’s worth by the quality of its thatch;A friendship by the strength of its hands;A love by the size of its heart;And a family by the depth of its loyalty.Thatch can be defined as any vegetation used to roof a structure. The vegetation is gathered, bundled and secured to the framework on top of a building. Thatch functions both as a shingle and underlayment; very rarely is there anything beyond simple framework between the thatch and the inside of the structure.European thatch dates back to before the Middle Ages, when the first small, permanent villages were established. Today, thatch is generally acknowledged for its visual appeal and as a way to add a historic or whimsical touch to a home. While it does impart a storybook quality to many structures, thatch also retains practical aspects of its past.Designed with a traditional thatched roof reminiscent of old Irish homes, Thatcher McGhee’s first opened its doors in Pompton Lakes, NJ in 2006 and raised a new roof in Denville, NJ in 2011. An eclectic blend of new and old, Thatcher’s is a place for friends to catch up, families to share a meal and celebrations to be had. Whether you’re enjoying a Taste of Ireland in the comfort of our traditional thatched roof Irish cottage, or some American fare in the bar or dining room, we take pride in the privilege to be part of your lives.If this is your first visit or you’re a regular part of our shenanigans, we invite you to create new memories with us while having a comforting meal or a refreshing pint!Our newest location, located at 53 Broadway in Denville Thatcher McGhee’s is Northern New Jersey’s newest Irish Pub & Eatery. Like our sister pub in Pompton Lakes, our one-of-a-kind decor starts at the roots of its ownership and travels all the way from their hometown city of Galway. The authentic look and old country feel of the establishment will make you feel as if you've just landed on the streets of Ireland.If you've ever been to our Pompton Lakes location, you know we have it all when it comes to watching the big game. Denville is no different, with enough TV’s to cater to the biggest of sports fans. Whether it’s NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL or any other sports that get your heart racing… we've got you covered with our beautiful flat screen televisions and state of the art sound system. And of course, our beer list and never ending catalog of cocktails will satisfy even the pickiest of patrons.If its food you’re after, we’ve certainly got a delicious treat for you. From our authentic Irish Cuisine, to our modern Italian dishes, you’ll enjoy everything Thatcher McGhee’s has to offer your palate. Our specials change on a daily basis, so be sure to check back frequently.Lastly, we love having live entertainment, so the list of performing bands and open mic night’s changes and grows at a rapid pace. To stay up to date on the latest happenings at Thatcher McGhee’s, you’ll want to check our Calendar page.Thanks for visiting and we hope to see you soon!And remember, If you can’t come in… smile as you pass!
Morristown, New Jersey
“Great Irish Bar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Went last night for a change of pace, had bar pie, awesome, thatch fries awesome & caesar salad not so awesome, at the bar. Then settled in for a couple of drinks. They had a live band playing until 8pm, playing Irish music, quiet good. At 9/10 Karaoke started, I'm not one for this to be honest but it turned out to be thoroughly entertaining. As with most Irish pubs the true talent is behind the bar, Liam and Mike kept the beer and the craic coming for the night. Great time.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Dover, Delaware
“irish atmosphere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

My niece has never been here, so I hoped that it would not disappoint...I was wrong.. of course, if you like corn dogs from the fair, ya know , the kind that the hot dog (in this case-cod) was so breaded there was no taste of the food, well, you are luck! the apps were fine, calamari was very good and the asian infusion of corned beef and cabbage rolls (these were fried) wasnt bad either. if I go again , I will try the bar pie...

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York City, New York
“Food was just ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

I don't think you can go to a place just once and write it off if you have a bad meal. That being said, my first ever experience at this restaurant wasn't good. The chicken sandwich was tasteless with a stale roll. Come on!! Make the chicken taste like something, add something. Salt, pepper? At least. Eight or ten bucks for a dry, tasteless, sandwich with falling apart stale bread. The little details make or break a place like this. Cute decor only goes do far.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Denville, New Jersey
“My fav local watering hole”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

I frequent thatchers often and have yet to have a bad meal, drink or wait staff! Bartenders are friendly, food is good and live music and wall quotes give the place a fun bar scene but still with a cozy feel, I love the corned beef egg rolls, and the bar pies are yummy too, nice thin crust. Love this place!

New Jersey
“Nice "Irish" atmosphere; not so much food and service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Loved the look and feel of this place; in addition to a great bar area (Irish themed place...no brainer here), there are 2 other unique dining room areas- a cottage room, and a front 'parlor' room complete with white lace curtains. The staff at front door were welcoming. Now for the bad points:
I was disappointed with my entree, Shepherd's Pie. I thought a place like this could not go wrong with such a traditional dish, but I was wrong. It was beyond bland and I am pretty sure that the mashed potato topping was fake. FAKE potato mix in an IRISH restaurant?? Yup. I've been eating mashed potatoes for 40 years and never had anything so thin/mealy in texture and devoid of flavor.
Service: our male waiter, despite seeming to be running around, was slow to asking us for our order. But worse than that, when he did ask 'how is everything', he did not wait for an answer; he asked while walking past our table. Then he failed to notice our empty drink and water glasses.
Had I not been part of a group of 3 other adults who just insisted on paying the bill and leaving; I would have taken the time to make this waiter stop and listen to my complaints. So unfortunately he got his 20% tip despite thin service and at least one crappy entree.
I'd return here for a beer but not to eat.

• Visited December 2012