“overrated” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 12 restaurants in Cranbury
Cuisines: American, Bakery, European
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Our 1850 vintage building is the perfect spot, so we're told, for The Blue Rooster. We have intimate dining rooms, superior food & service in the warmth of a Victorian home setting. Come sit outside on the front porch & watch small town life in action. Ride your bike - motor or pedal power and find a welcoming cup of coffee or tea to start you off. We are in the historic district of the village of Cranbury, a great place to walk & visit the sites of homes where George Washington stayed or camped with his troops.
New Jersey
“overrated”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We went for dinner a couple weeks ago, having heard about this place as "romantic' and "delicious".
It was your wedding anniversary.so we wanted something special." Special" it was: poor service,bleak decor,unassuming and overpriced dishes.
When we came in,the place was freezing. Only after my request, they turned on the heat,but it never seemed to warm up sufficiently. There is only one waiter for three dining room who was though friendly,but ineffective and slow. We never got bread plates for the bread basket served,nor the knives for our entrees.
The decor is tasteless and uninviting,there is no coziness; they tried to market it as "French",but never accomplished the french bistro charm. The huge fireplace is blocked by the dining table,so the purpose of having it is unclear.
The prices are pretty high for this area and kind of establishment. The taste is mediocre,the portions are small. My duck risotto was absolutely tasteless, overcooked rice,some tough duck pieces. I had to send it back.
We did not try any deserts,I lost my appetite and wanted to leave as soon as possible.
The"romance" was gone...

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

86% Recommend
South Brunswick, New Jersey
“Very Strange Owner”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Went in with my husband because we heard it had great home made breakfasts and lunch. The owner (appeared to be a 50-ish lady) was openly rude to her staff and that was a huge turn-off. The young persons under her employ seemed to be doing their best and apparently it was not up to her standards. She openly complained about the sales of "behind the counter items". She needs to show by example. Will not be back.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Cute cafe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My girlfriends and I often eat breakfast on Sundays here so we've tried all kinds of dishes, most are great but the pancakes are too dry, the french toast always undercooked. Other meals are lovely and it's a cozy atmosphere. The owner is a bit strange-a person at our table got a phone call, which she picked up and said she's call them back-the owner gave a big dirty look! I also want a cool drink available on the porch on a hot day while I'm waiting to be seated, a warm greeting, and what's with the tiny, teeny piece of mellon on my plate with two grapes? Make me feel welcome!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New Jersey
“Great cafe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Very charming old house converted into a cafe/restaurant, in beautiful downtown Cranbury. The menu is very interesting and the food is always great, along with good service. Coffee lovers should try the Fogbuster blend - truly excellent. (This review is based on several breakfasts and one lunch. I have not tried this restaurant for dinner.)

Visited December 2012
Cranbury, New Jersey
“Good bakery products”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Food portions are relatively small and, for such a restaurant, quite expensive. The service is adequate. Bread and desserts are made on the property and are very good. Soups are also quite good, particularly the corn chowder. Design and ambience appeal more to women than men.

Visited August 2012