“Quite good, very nice service” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Southwestern
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
“Quite good, very nice service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Cute entrance way with some barrels and cactus out front. Very nice staff, food was good, but not great. Brisket had too much fat on it, pork was delicious as were ribs, chicken had nice smoked flavor but a little dry. I'll definitely go back.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Moorestown, New Jersey
“It's just ok...there are much better around”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

We went here with a groupon.

The food was just ok. Limited menu. Bland fries. Very small dining room, Unwelcoming entrance. Also, the wait staff seems to be very overworked.

We really love Famous Dave's and this cannot hold a candle.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Collingswood, New Jersey
“Fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Had a groupon which is why we went, but glad we did. Good portions and good food. Will definitely return!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
South Jersey
“Nice Unique Option for something different”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

This was a new place we tried and we were pleasantly surprised. They are located at the end of Haddon Ave, where it is a little quieter and with lots of parking. The food is exceptional for BBQ and meats. It is a little pricey, but thats ok! The only advice I would have is to use less salt for the fried chicken. We did not try the desserts but it is a BYOB so lots of people brought 6-packs in. Overall, a good and different restaurant to the scene.

Visited March 2012
New Jersey
“Great Barbeque in Collingswood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

OK, I admit that I'm fairly new to barbeque. I was introduced to it a few years ago by, believe it or not, my mother. (What could this little old lady from New Jersey know about barbeque? Lots. She was in the senior citizens' lunch club.) I could kick myself for all those years I drove past the barbeque places down south to find a Howard Johnson's. But now I'm lots smarter, and I'm hooked, having first tried barbeque at the chain restaurants, then advancing to the smaller independents.

But every barbeque joint (except the cookie-cutter chain restaurants) has a story about it. Lets start with the architecture. Little Louie's obviously used to be a gas station. Then it was converted into something else. (I can't remember what; maybe an office.) Now its in its third incarnation as a restaurant.

Then the décor. When we entered, we were asked “Would you like to sit with John Wayne, or at a window.” We chose the window, but there on the other side of the room, was that a flat screen TV? Or a bright neon Mexican velvet painting of John Wayne? In fact, looking around the room, ALL of the decorations are cowboy stuff – movie posters, cow skulls, etc. But OLD movies. Nothing even as new as a Clint Eastwood spaghetti western.

Next, the background music – BLUES! I asked if they ever have live blues and was told not yet, but they will when they put in a dining patio this spring. Next time I come I'll bring my harp.

Oh ... you want to know about the food? My dining partner ordered a pulled pork sandwich. I ordered the 20 hour barbequed brisket. Waitress Michelle asked “Would you like mayonnaise cole slaw with that, or vinegar cole slaw?” Whats the difference? Is one grated finer than the other? “No, they're both the same, just one is made with mayo and the other with vinegar.” My dining partner didn't want any slaw, so I got them both.

He tells me his pork was very good. He tried a couple of different barbeque sauces on it, and no complaints about them either. The brisket was excellent. Maybe a little on the dry side, but that could have been fixed with some barbeque sauce. Each plate also came with Little Louie's hand-cut french fries served in a little paper bag.

The mayonnaise cole slaw tasted like regular cole slaw, but the vinegar cole slaw is mis-named. I've had a similar salad at other places where it was called “cabbage salad” or “health salad.”

Little Louie's also has a nice selection of desserts. I was tempted by the pecan pie, but was too stuffed to eat any more.

Overall, a nice place to eat.

I notice that one reviewer gave Little Louie's Barbeque a bad review because they ran out of stuff during their first week in business. C'mon! I'll bet that even he couldn't have planned for a couple of hundred extra unexpected guests one week in his own kitchen. Give Little Louie a break. I'm bumping his rating up a notch to counteract that other guy.

• Visited March 2012